« December 31, 2005 | Main | January 2, 2006 »

January 01, 2006

Chindia

Servddder

"Is India the new China?" was the lead sentence of the Lex feature on the waking giant in this past Monday's Financial Times.

India this, India that, India everywhere in the news the past few weeks.

So I've coined this new* word to describe the ongoing, accelerating move of the planet's center of economic gravity to these two countries.

981261196701_sclzzzzzzz_

At the top, a snapshot of my statistics earlier today: you will note that the proportion of readers from India (0.65%) + China (0.35%) = 1%, a percentage that's been more or less consistent throughout the day — and night — the past few weeks.

Prediction: It'll be ≥5% by the end of 2006.

Use Chindia with my blessing.

It could've been Indina, after all.

If you like you can say you made it up and I promise not to say you didn't.

I've got much bigger fish to fry here.

What they are I haven't yet figured out but I'm sure they're around somewhere.

Now where's that pony...?

*Yes, I am quite aware that a chindia is a Romanian dance tune: my neologism refers to a new meaning of the word. Please — don't you have anything else to do? Is this really the highest and best use of your time?

January 1, 2006 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Neo–Nordic Skateboard Chair

From Igland Design in Norway comes the Alet chair.

Neo-nordic. Birch plywood and neoprene rubber launched on big skateboard wheels.

33_alewdt

The chair's slim shape facilitates various sitting positions, while the thin and strong birch laminate in combination with the wheels make the chair flex comfortably.

The neoprene cushion is covered in Alcantara.

44rrrttyy

Ideal for TV, music, reading and laptop work.

A hit with everyone from French film divas to Australian skaters at the 2004 100% Design Show in London.

555fscgvbsdfg

Limited–edition carbon fibre version available soon.

********************

Tell you what: if I were the X–Games I'd name this the official chair and hope they'd send one.

66bmvvbnmbvnmbvn

If you'd like more information email Igland Design: iglanddesign@yahoo.no

[via AW]

January 1, 2006 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

MorphWorld: Janice Dickinson into one scary person

1jjjjjddddddd

She was the world's first supermodel, exploding out of nowhere in the early 1970s, while still a teenager, to grace the covers of scores of fashion magazines worldwide.

The camera simply could not get enough of her.

Her autobiography, "No Lifeguard On Duty," published in 2003 when she turned 50, is a remarkable book — candid, trashy, revelatory, depressing, funny as heck and ultimately amazing in that Ms. Dickinson survived long enough to write it.

She has absolutely no fear, it seems, and names names — lots and lots of boldface names — sometimes in stories that I'm sure caused major squirming among those mentioned.

I call her book the female equivalent of "Scar Tissue," the searing autobiography of Anthony Kiedis, lead singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Last week came the news that Ms. Dickinson has signed on for a new reality series, to air next spring on the Oxygen network.

Along with the announcement were pictures of her (below)

3bvbvbvbvbvbb

in her current state of plastic surgery turnaround.

I don't know how many operations she's had but if I were her I'd call it a day in the OR.

Time does not do good things to the artifice of the plastic surgeon: the result is wonderful once the healing ends but then slowly and inexorably unravels.

Gravity always wins in the end.

I do agree, however, that her driver's license picture (below)

2ddddddlllllll

is just great.

January 1, 2006 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Safe Bugatti — World's first 'sensual' strongbox

Schwarzoff

Got valuables?

Luxury is not only a Matter of Wealth, but also of Freedom.

Aesthetic quality manufactured to the highest standards of security.

2bugatti_offen

With this founding philosophy the STOCKINGER Safe Manufacture has been improving perfection for over 25 years.

From a basic safe, skilled hands craft an exceptional masterpiece.

3bugatti_verriegelung

Unique, strong, sensual.

And impressively secure.

Silly me, to not have realized before today that sensuality was among the characteristics to be sought in a safe.

Well, I can always learn.

But wait — there's more.

From another page on the website:

STOCKINGER "Safe Bugatti"

Dynamic and sporty outside – classy and elegant inside.

Bbbbbbveyron03_02_1024

A vision of technology melded with aesthetics has become reality:

Developed to coincide with the launch of Bugatti’s long-awaited 16.4 Veyron, the "Safe Bugatti" features sleek luxury in design and polished perfection in technology.

Like the Bugatti 16.4 Veyron which gives the safe its name, the "Safe Bugatti" combines technological superlatives with aesthetic distinction, joining security technology and designer looks.

4bugatti_scharnier

The safety engineering features of this safe are just as hard to beat as the revolutionary performance of the Veyron 16.4.

Even the basic version of the "Safe Bugatti" meets the stringent requirements for the VDS Class V Certificate of Approval of components and systems used in fire protection and security technology.

Xx55img03

This allows the owner to have valuables stored in the safe insured up to a value of €650,000.

When the safe is upgraded using such additional optional components as a seismic detector, an intruder detector, a noise detector, environmental protection, floor anchoring with a breakaway alarm or GPS signal and integration into an intruder or burglar alarm system, coverage can increase to twice that figure and more, depending on the insurer.

The "Safe Bugatti" is unbeatably secure even as a "stand alone" solution.

66img02

Embedded in an encompassing security system it becomes impregnable.

********************

Price "upon request" — which I learned long ago is a synonym for, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

[via AW]

January 1, 2006 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

LibriVox — 'Acoustical liberation of books in the public domain'

Bvjvvjkvhjkvgjkh

Or, as Stephen Bove put it in his email to me: "Free audio books."

Check it out: a number of books are available with more coming all the time.

Listen on your computer, download to your iPod or whatever, or burn onto a CD.

[via Stephen Bove]

January 1, 2006 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Anti-Slip Museum Putty and Gel

Xzcvbxvdxfvbdfxvdfgvdgvd

Can your shelves do this?

Didn't think so.

Museum Adhesives

Museum Putty™ and Museum Gel are non-toxic and removable and won't harm collectibles or furniture.

Includes 2.7 oz. packet of Museum Putty (secures 40 vases or frames) plus 4 oz. jar of Museum Gel for clear crystal or glass treasures (secures 300 items).

$17.99 for the two here.

It occurs to me that these products might be very useful in homes where doors are slammed and things move around on shelves or furniture in response.

Also good for preventing plane, train or traffic vibrations from affecting the placement of objects.

January 1, 2006 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

StartupBoy — 'Truth in startups, and a whole lot less'

Bcccccvbbbbbbb

I don't know how I happened on this blog last evening but once I started reading I didn't stop for a while.

Naval Ravikant is the blog's majordomo and it would appear he knows whereof he speaks when it comes to internet startups.

You could do worse than browse his posts, even if you have no intention of ever soliciting venture capital.

January 1, 2006 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BBC Open News Archive beta

Sssseeeewwwww

For the first time in its history the BBC is opening its archives, as an experiment for an unspecified trial period.

You can download nearly 80 news reports covering iconic events of the past 50 years including the fall of the Berlin Wall, crowds ejecting soldiers from Beijing's Tiananmen Square and behind-the-scenes footage of the England team prior to their victory over West Germany in 1966.

You are welcome to download the clips, watch them, and use them to create something unique.

This is a pilot and we want to understand your creative needs.

We'd like to see your productions and showcase some of the most interesting ones we receive.

********************

Heck, I have zero interest in making mashups; I'm just here to watch.

January 1, 2006 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack