« Blue Man Group Percussion Tubes | Home | Car Bubble »

August 31, 2006

Maria Sharapova channels Audrey Hepburn

11povalarge_1

Last night in her first-round match at the U.S. Open Sharapova unveiled her latest fashion statement (above and below).

222200_1

The third-seeded Russian blew out Michaella Krajicek (6-3, 6-0) in less than an hour while prancing around "in a beaded black sheath [with matching hair bow] she said was inspired by Audrey Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' (below)."

I thought Sharapova's outfit looked kind of cheesy and tacky, more reminiscent of a patron of the Mos Eisley Cantina on Tatooine in "Star Wars" than Audrey Hepburn.

The two-inch high horizontal black strap across her open back just didn't cut it.

But hey, that's just my take.

I'm sure you know better and won't hesitate to let me know it.

August 31, 2006 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Maria Sharapova channels Audrey Hepburn:

Comments

ok, seriously, if you're going to make fun of her for not looking at the ball then you've obviously never played tennis before. Also, her outfit is really cute. Its a wonder you guys even know anything about fastion at all.

Posted by: kelby ferguson | Jul 9, 2007 11:30:37 PM

Have you forgotten the horrific, figure-skater inspired get-ups the Williams sisters used to prance about the court in? Maria's black dress is pretty unoffensive in comparison.

Still, I have a blanket policy against sequins, crystals, and rhinestones in sports arenas, so I might actually be with you on this one.

Posted by: thelizabeff | Sep 9, 2006 6:47:19 PM

Her eyes are not on the ball and contact point in the last photo.
And she hits like Audrey Hepburn.
Skirt looks like Peter Pan's.

Posted by: | Aug 31, 2006 10:01:15 PM

But instead of Yul Brynner (singing Is a puzzlement) in my brain, now I see Rita Moreno (singing I feel pretty!).

For Audrey, Moon River plays in the background.

Posted by: Mb | Aug 31, 2006 7:16:12 PM

I was thinking, with the dress, if you shaved her head and handed her a crook and flail, you might have kind of a Yul Brynner as Rameses II sort of thing going on.

Singing: