« The Gripper — 'Don't slip, get a grip' | Home | Nixie Tube Wristwatch — 'What if LED and LCD displays had never been invented?' »

March 24, 2008

High Tide Heels — by Lisa Carney

Wwwwu6rt

Nice job by my crack research team, drilling down all the way to the Antipodes to identify Australian designer Lisa Carney as the inventor of these amphibious heels, which appeared on the website of the Sydney Morning Herald.

On Friday, July 13, 2007 she wrote Manolo (of Manolo's Shoe Blogs) as follows: "It was me! I am the designer of these high heeled flippers! I made them for my catwalk show for Mercedes Australian Fashion week 2002 at Bondi Iceberbs. This model opened the show and played the part of Ursula Andress walking (with not a lot of grace) from the sea."

2trdetrx

You could look it up.

The aforementioned Manolo wrote, "Perfect for the She-Cousteau."

I won't disagree.

A commenter on Manolo's post wrote, "Perfect for Scuba Barbie."

Once again, I won't disagree.

the Elle mentioned to Manolo that Jean Paul Gaultier sent these

4dxgffx

high-heeled flippers down the runway

3ytytrryd

in his Spring 2007 Ready-To-Wear show.

[via cat@log]

March 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference High Tide Heels — by Lisa Carney:

Comments

Is this the Lisa Carney who grew up on Mason Avenue in Chicago and went to St. Pascal??

Posted by: Celeste | Sep 24, 2009 12:42:42 PM

Please, if/when these become available, I'd love to know where I can find them.

jessica6_2000@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Posted by: Jessica | Feb 11, 2009 8:58:07 AM

What an incredibly bad idea. As if the coral reef didn't have enough problems with boat anchors, idiots standing on it, and bleaching, now someone has gone and designed a flipper that will punch holes in it. Genius! Leave it to the fashion industry to encourage yet more bad ideas to morons with too much money.

Posted by: Sassmo | Nov 14, 2008 3:38:48 PM

Wow, these would be great for spearfishing.

Posted by: ben | Oct 10, 2008 3:23:36 AM

Perfect for the next hurrican that hits the Gulf Coast! I'll look totally toned for the Coast Guard!

Posted by: catherine | Sep 19, 2008 12:47:07 PM

My daughter just lost her home and contents in Hurricane Ike including her 300-/+ pairs of shoes. I would love to give her a pair to wear to work. She is living in her garage for the time being. Please tell me where I can order a pair. She does scuba dive occasionally.

Posted by: Eleanor Densford | Sep 17, 2008 12:18:26 PM

Hi Joe, thanks for your email.

Back in May? I was emailed a photo of some rubber heels on display in a shop window. My friend commented that they were like the ones i had in my shop in Bondi Beach. I was amused and I did a search for high tide heels and found on Manolo Shoe Blog website the photo above (the same that appeared on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald the day after my catwalk show for Mercedes Australian Fashion Week) And there on the site was a question of where the photo came from. I made those shoes. I never claimed to be the authentic creator. Many years ago i remember seeing a drawing of high heeled flippers in a book. I dont know who wrote the book (perhaps it was the Belgian Artist?) or anything eles about the book (maybe is was specifically shoes?). When I was putting together my collection, it was very mermaid and it seemed the perfect idea to add flippers with heels. The runway was a path between 2 pools. I wanted to make a pair for all the models but it turned into such a hard task I just couldnt manage that and the clothes and jewellery (which is what I design) I am not taking credit for those rubber ones doing the rounds on the internet. Just for my wooden heeled ones that i made years ago. Just a bit of fun.

Posted by: lisa carney | Sep 15, 2008 11:32:13 AM

There are photos on Lisa Carney's website of her show in 2002, and these high heeled flippers are not pictured. I've the impression the person in Belgium is the authentic creator of the shoes, rather than Ms Carney.

Posted by: Pollyanna | Sep 15, 2008 10:21:47 AM

how much can we get them for?

Posted by: jilly | Sep 10, 2008 10:47:21 PM

Well Hello Joe! These high heeled flippers just wont go away. I am getting requests almost daily. I promise to do my best to produce some more on my next visit to my production facility in January. I am now living in the middle of England, no where near the sea, making fashion clothing and jewellery which really is my thing. God I miss the surf! When I made the 2 pairs for my show in 2002 I showed my drawings and designs to many a cobbler and always was met with the same dumbfounded blank expression, followed by a look of amazment and then pitty. Im sure they thought i was completely insane. Eventually I found someone with a sense of humour who worked with me to make those ones that hit the press in Australia. Unfortunately he has now moved away and is no where to be found. Wish me luck and stay posted! If anyone wishes to go on the waiting list, please email me on lisa@lisacarneydesign.com

Posted by: lisa carney | Sep 10, 2008 5:13:02 AM

delusional diva ....in search of these perfect shoes!!!! seriously, myself and at least one other of my diva friends would love to own a pair ...do tell where we find them to buy?!????

Posted by: diva | Sep 9, 2008 6:47:47 PM

I laughed out loud.

Posted by: ignoranceisabliss | Sep 7, 2008 2:14:40 AM

I'd buy thme in a flash/flood too.

Posted by: Bambi | Sep 5, 2008 2:30:29 PM

I would love a pair to use as part of a Halloween costume! I'm from Louisiana (Hurricane Land) and alot of us dress up like the hurricane of that year. (Yes, it can be done and it's hilarious!) We're waiting on Hurricane Gustav as I type this! So, when I saw the picture of the "shoes" in the window, my first thought was 'I gotta find those!" I look at them more in a joking view. I'd buy them, but only for fun.

Posted by: Terry | Aug 29, 2008 9:04:44 PM

Lol, these things just might get made and mass produced. But like was said above was right. The design needs to be optimized to be functional on land and or in water. From what I've seen there are deffinetly fans of these shoes. All you product/fashion designers out there. Jump on this.

Posted by: Montana | Apr 15, 2008 12:14:28 PM

The popular High Tide Heels are made by an artist from Belgium. I found this website www.hightideheels.be. It seems L.Carney and J.P.Gaultier likes these shoes very much. And recently more who adore this design; Floodware, Global Warming collection...

Posted by: Brutt | Apr 2, 2008 11:14:27 AM

This is the most disturbing thing I've seen in a while. But given the screwed-up imagination of designers...
(Really, don't they seem to design things while thinking 'if someone could actually wear this, it's not good'?)

Posted by: Jen | Mar 25, 2008 6:04:10 AM

Given how hard it is to walk forwards in flippers to start with, adding heels is just asking for trouble.

Do they shoot models if they break a leg?

Posted by: Skipweasel | Mar 24, 2008 12:37:47 PM