August 06, 2008
Franz Kafka on the books we need
"... the books we need are the kind that act upon us like a misfortune, that make us suffer like the death of someone we love more than ourselves, that make us feel as though we were on the verge of suicide, or lost in a forest remote from all human habitation — a book should serve as the ax for the frozen sea within us." — From a letter of Kafka to Oskar Pollak.
Wireless Dental Camera
Long story short: "Intra-oral camera with a wireless transmitter built in for ease of movement while using the camera. This wireless dental accessory comes with both a 1.3MP camera for high-resolution video or still shots and a 2.4GHz wireless receiver that can be plugged into a TV using the AV connection or into a computer via USB."
From the website::
Wireless Dental Camera Specifications
• Recommended max. range for objects: 10~30mm (auto-focus)
• Power source: Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery
• Dimensions: 215 x 26 x 25mm (L x W x D)
• TV system: NTSC — 628 x 582 resolution
• Horizontal definition: 380 TV lines
• Transmission frequency: 2.4GHz
• Transmission range: 10 meters
• Minimum illumination: 2 Lux
• Image device: 1/4" CMOS
• Angular field of view: 45°
• White balance: Auto
• 6 Built-In LED lights
• Locked frequencies
• S/N Ratio: 52dB
• Dimensions: 70 x 85 x 20mm (L x W x D)
• Channel Select for Multiple Cameras
• Frequency stabilization: +/-100KHz
• Intermediate frequency: 480MHz
• Receiving sensitivity: <-85dBm
• Receiving frequency: 2.4GHz
• USB-to-computer AV out
• Demodulation mode: FM
• Antenna: 50ohm SMA
• Channels available: 4
• Power source: DC 5V
• 1.3MP snapshot pictures saved directly to computer when receiver connected to PC
• Included drivers/programs on CD system: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
• Camera with built-in rechargeable battery
• Comfortable hand-held design
• Includes sanitary covers
• Wireless receiver stand
• 3.5mm to video cable
• Hygiene covers
• CD with driver
• AC adapter
• USB cable
[via 7 Gadgets]
Robotic Self-Healing Chair
[via James Thornburg]
Easy-Clean Toilet Seat
Finally, a seat that you can easily remove so you can get down and dirty in that nasty area around the hinges.
Checked yours lately?
It'll ruin your day.
Anyway, I read about this "where has it been all my life?" device in a recent edition of Kevin Kelly's Cool Tools, edited by apparent guest-editor-for-life Steven Leckart, where contributor/reviewer Lester Coats had this to say:
- Detachable WC Lid — Bemis Easy-Clean Toilet Seat
This toilet seat's plastic hinges are equipped with anchors that allow the seat to be removed for toilet cleaning. A simple twist of two locking knobs and the seat lifts off; reversing the procedure re-locks the seat. It makes an awkward job very simple. The area around the hinges is much cleaner due to easier access. My toilet is so much easier to clean completely. Still one of the best ideas for the bathroom I've ever seen. There are various colors and incarnations on Amazon that cost more than $30. I purchased the cheapest, basic style at the local Home Depot for less than $12.
Well, there it is.
What're you waiting for?
The toilet fairy's not coming, people — you're on your own so get cracking... erm.
And Yohji Yamamoto adepts, this is your lucky day 'cause your ship — I mean, toilet seat— has come in:
What is it?
Answer here this time
48-Can Duffel MusiCooler — You can take it with you
Get it — can take it with you?
Well, I thought it was funny....
From the website:
- Duffel MusiCooler
iPod input along with AM/FM radio and built-in speakers.
If you don't want to use it as a cooler, remove the plastic liner, pack your clothes and use it for travel!
Once you get to your destination, empty your bag, attach the plastic liner and fill up with cold beverages and ice and head down to the beach!
• Large exterior side mesh pocket and elasticized gear straps on top for extras
• Removable easy-clean leak-proof liner, simple to just remove and clean
• Adjustable/removable shoulder strap with superior comfort padding
• Molded eyeglass holder, cell phone holder and CD player pocket
• 11-3/4"H x 20"W x 13"D
• Polyester and nylon
• Royal Blue/Black
"Note: Coolers are blank and do NOT come with shown logos."
The unbearable lightness of the Internet
"For all the damage to reputations the Internet can cause, perhaps the greater anxiety from online communication is the weightlessness of it all. The whole World Wide Web can seem like a hall of mirrors — nothing tangible, no binding, no watermarks, no notary public seals. Where, exactly, is it? How do we know any of it is true?"
Buried toward the end of Noam Cohen's July 7, 2008 New York Times story about the Boing Boing/Xeni Jardin/Violet Blue dustup, the paragraph above struck me as being a wonderful summation of the strangeness of the virtual.
Integrated Towel Anchor Beach Stake
From the website:
- BeachStake Towel Anchors
With BeachStake Towel Anchors you won't have to worry about your towel blowing away in the wind.
And because the towel stays on the sand, the sand will stay off of you.
• Patented one-piece design grips your towel firmly even in high winds
• Includes four anchors and a handy carrying case
• Made from impact- and UV-resistant plastic
• Family-friendly design has no sharp edges
• Each 3-3/4"W x 6-3/4"H