« Why Wikipedia Works | Home | Eerie and striking »

March 30, 2009

Drink Can Decontaminator

1dhhdf

Got bacteria?

2fghh

A concept designed by Leon Peng, this device blasts the surface of a 12 oz. can with UV light to render it sterile.

[via Cliff Hatch and Yanko Design]

March 30, 2009 at 09:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Drink Can Decontaminator:

Comments

When I was a kid I worried about the dirt & such on drink cans and bottles. Then my uncle told me his theory that bellywash (or simply "wash", as he called Coke) had all kinds of vile toxic crap in it that was way stronger and more noxious than any piddly little germy dirt that might be on the can, so the drink acted like an actual disinfectant anyhow, and washing the cans (or using rubbing alcohol on them, which a neighbor lady did!) was unnecessary. And soon people would be dropping like flies from stomachs and kidneys that had been eaten away by caustic bellywash acids anyway. But it never stopped me (or my uncle) from drinking as much of it as possible.

Posted by: Flautist | Mar 30, 2009 11:45:49 PM

Yessss, Andrew. Must Americans be sanitized against life?

Posted by: Kay | Mar 30, 2009 10:16:02 PM

An easier(and more cost effective) way would just be like what you dine in europe, a foil cover on top of cans.

Posted by: t | Mar 30, 2009 11:29:07 AM

Unless the magical UV ray changes Coke to Pepsi, I'm not interested.

Posted by: Phillip Winn | Mar 30, 2009 10:11:47 AM

Does UV really do all the magic that everyone thinks it does? And a UV blast should come with a blast of air around the rim to get any dirt, etc stuck on the top of the can in that groove.

Posted by: Maximillian | Mar 30, 2009 9:52:33 AM

*bangs head against wall*

It would be a better idea to just wash the outside of the can, especially get in the ridges at the top. I don't know about the states but in a lot of countries they spray pesticides in grocery stores to keep down the bugs and you better wash off the top of the can, or you might get sick.

Posted by: Lilorfnannie | Mar 30, 2009 9:51:22 AM

Oh, good heavens, what delicate flower is lining up to buy this?!? Really, wipe a shirt sleeve across it!

Posted by: Andrew White | Mar 30, 2009 9:26:41 AM