« Wearable Flexible Hands-Free Book Light | Home | What is it? »

December 29, 2009

Pomegranate Tootsie Pop — This ain't the 50s any more

I got back from Kroger a couple days ago, opened a bag of Tootsie Pops and dumped them into a bowl as I routinely do.

I noticed a couple with red wrappers [below]

in a shade a bit different than the usual cherry, strawberry and red raspberry suspects.

Unwrapping the pop [top two photos and below],

I spread the wrapper out and looked carefully at it, only to be confounded when I saw "Pomegranate" [below].

5dfv

Freak out.

What with the appearance in the past several years of Watermelon, Lime and now this unexpected new flavor, the next few years promise to be spectacular ones for us pop aficionados.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: how did it taste, joe?

Well, I have to admit I haven't had a pomegranate in decades so I can't attest to its verisimilitude to the real thing but I can say it wasn't cherry, strawberry or raspberry and I liked it.

I'm told by a constant reader that she's had a Banana pop recently but that it wasn't very good.

I'm going to be looking out for that one to see for myself.

December 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Pomegranate Tootsie Pop — This ain't the 50s any more:

Comments

"I got back from a Kroger"!

"The dingo ate my baby"!

LOL

Posted by: Joe Peach | Dec 29, 2009 4:28:49 PM

Bev! Your quirks are the best. No one can beat you. Still haven't had a tootsie pop. Have to start with a pedestrian chocolate one. ;-)

Posted by: Milena | Dec 29, 2009 1:09:28 PM

Oh, I forgot - Miles, I know you've never eaten a Tootsie Roll Pop in your whole life, so you wouldn't know that they need to be charged up before they're consumed. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it activates, flavorates, and chocomalates the Tootsie Roll inside the hard candy covering.

Posted by: Flautist | Dec 29, 2009 1:09:07 PM

No, it ain't the 50's but they ain't new, neither. I've been throwing out the pomegranate ones for a few years now, since I have no use for any but the banal and pedestrian chccolate, cherry and orange. It's such a chore, having to manually examine bags and bags of pops, hoping to find a couple of purchaseable ones with high desired flavor content. And they make those sacks they come in difficult to check - a tiny little clear window in the orange plastic is all you have to manipulate the pops around and push them up so you can see what you're getting. Diabolical. If you really like those execrable pomegranates, I'll collect mine and send them to you. Ditto the grapes, limes, strawberries and especially those horrid raspberries. Yeech. I just can't.

At first I thought that picture was of a red-colored Tootsie Caramel Apple Pop, and I almost became apoplectic with desire, but I was relieved that it wasn't. The green caramel apples are enough of a monkey on the back.

Posted by: Flautist | Dec 29, 2009 12:55:46 PM

You put the lollipop into an electric socket?

Posted by: Milena | Dec 29, 2009 12:07:58 PM