« May 26, 2010 | Main | May 28, 2010 »

May 27, 2010

'Rainmakers' — Starring Tennessee Tuxedo and the 3-D Blackboard (aka iPad Gen 7)

Joe Peach sent me this awesomely great blast from the past [1963–1966], writing, "Not only is it worth watching for its 'to the point' wit and astounding voice personalities [Don Adams voiced Tennessee Tuxedo] ... but it also had the predecessor to the iPad!!!! Yes, I know it's incredible!!!! It was the 3-DB, the 'Three-Dimensional Blackboard'!!!!!"

He added, "Don't believe me? It worked externally (the iPad works in a limited space) but what the hell, iPad Gen 7 just might do this!"

May 27, 2010 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Bungle in the jungle: Alcohol trees of Africa

"This is a real video from a French documentary about Africa. There are trees which grow in Africa which, once a year, produce very juicy fruits which contain a high percentage of alcohol. Because water is scarce, as soon as the fruit is ripe, animals come and eat it for the liquid content. What happens next you can watch for yourself...."

[via Diana McLellan]

May 27, 2010 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Toothbrushing Timer

Screen shot 2010dgs-05-25 at 10.50.53 PM

Brusha brusha brusha ....

[via noquedanblogs and Swiss Miss]

May 27, 2010 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Solid Platinum Limited-Edition iPad Supreme

Fgjlkuytr

OK, so you were a little slow to pull the trigger and didn't snag one of the 10 solid gold ones featured here two weeks ago.

Well, lucky you: Now the brass — erm... — ring comes 'round once again along with the chance to pick up one of the five (5) upcoming platinum iterations.

"Encrusted with 85.5 carats of 1F flawless diamonds, a total of of 173 individually-set stones sit beautifully on the skillfully crafted solid platinum back, which weighs in at 2,700 grams (5.9 lbs.)."

WiFi +3G, 64GB.

A snip at  £299,995 ($434,000).

May 27, 2010 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Password Security — Episode 2: Pass-phrases and their discontents

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0133ee4d528e970b-pi

Reader clifyt offered his thoughts  on computer security vis-à-vis passwords in a comment on Monday's Episode 1 post.

Now comes a counterpoint from another reader, as follows:

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Pass-phrases are useful for moderately secure systems. I use 30+ character passwords for all WPA and WPA2 web access points and I create the passwords by cutting and pasting pieces out of the GRC pseudo-random passwords - making a password that has never appeared on the web. Banks do not allow these kinds of passwords - so I change my password(s) weekly - for personal, business and trust (I'm an attorney and safeguarding my trust account is a very high priority. Rather than tell my bank not to create an Internet account - I opted for one and the frequent changes of password - I also use a sandbox - i.e. a virtual machine for all banking transactions. How do I keep track of the 6 character limit the banks impose that I change so often? I use two algorithms to change the last one into the next one. I mix the order of the process to prevent anybody from factoring the changes.). The simple and safe approach on the Internet TNO Trust No One.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0134817d02d9970c-pi

Both clifty's comments and the observations above are so far beyond my TechnoDolt™ comprehension level, they might as well be in Urdu or Pashto.

But I'm sure most of you will twig instanter.

May 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Accordion Card Holder

`12wergrg

Maple top and bottom.

Made in Germany.

32456yytrewq

$35.

[via boxbank+]

May 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Erin Biba's new website

Asdfaghjkl;;uytre

The formidable Wired magazine writer just put up a website — www.erinbiba.com — after years of listening to innumerable fans asking her why she continued to hide her light under a barrel.

BibaWorld went up early yesterday morning and already looks better than 99% of the sites I frequent.

Gon't do there, joe.

Too late.

But I digress.

Erin is a wonderful synthesizer of complex information, enabling even TechnoDolts™ like me to make sense of abstruse things like string theory, fusion, and the ongoing debate about whether Marmite is alive or not.

She's also big on Twitter — @erinbiba

Way to go, Erin.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: She's assured me that she will give her autograph FREE to anyone who mentions bookofjoe when making their request.

Don't everyone shout at once, she can't hear your name.

May 27, 2010 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: Personal Fingertip Pulse Oximeter

Xfcghjkln

Only an anesthesiologist who's been around for a while (like me) can appreciate the awesomeness of this device.

Why is it so impressive?

Because when pulse oximetry first appeared back in the last century, the devices cost about $5,000 and and were so big and heavy they required a cart to wheel them around.

You had to have a good reason to reserve one for a case, as there weren't enough for every OR.

Over time the technology got orders of magnitude better and now anyone who wants one can have one.

I'm getting one of these to keep in my fanny pack for when the hospital's doesn't work, which happens from time to time.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0133ecfa8226970b-300wi

The same technology used in hospitals is now literally at your fingertips.

Fingertip oximeter lets you perform spot checks to monitor for oxygen shortage due to health issues, high altitude and more.

Just insert finger and press power button.

Your blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) level and pulse rate are displayed and continually updated until you remove your finger, then the unit automatically shuts off.

Displays waveform and bar graph.

Includes carry pouch, neck cord and user manual.

Requires 4 AAA batteries (not included).

••••••••••••••••••••••••