« Fried Egg Spatula | Home | Rubik's Speaker »

June 15, 2012

Watch ESPN app on iPad: world-changing

A

Long story short: I'm watching Euro Cup on my new iPad (above; Sweden-England, halftime in a crackerjack game... but I digress) and the experience is an order of magnitude better than viewing it on my big screen hi-def TV, which sits mute and blind a few feet away (upper right hand corner of the photo).

Why?

Several reasons, which I'll get to in a moment, but most important — by a wide margin — is the fact that the distance from my eyes to the still-breathtaking-after-all-these-weeks Retina display/iPad screen is precisely the same as that to my Air right next to it.

Why is this world-changing?

Because the eyes tire from constantly refocusing between a laptop screen two feet away and a TV screen eight feet distant, so much so that I — and I'm certain I speak for many — tire of moving from screen to screen and eventually work more slowly while watching or miss big plays while working.

The iPad puts paid to all the energy and effort required of the eyes' extraocular muscles that reshape the lenses to constantly refocus images as attention shifts back and forth between laptop and TV.

Try it yourself and you will be a convert.

Fantastic technology mashup from ESPN and Apple.

The best part?

The Watch ESPN app, at least, is free — the way we like it.

The other things that make watching on the iPad superior?

1. No commercials when watching the app, just pleasant music and a static "We'll be right back" screen.

2. If for any reason you want/have to move — get something to eat/drink, use the W.C., someone at the door, cat needs you, whatever — you can take the game/iPad with you. Fantastico.

Up top, my setup.

You will note my phone above the iPad, showing the view of the front of my house (close-up below) —

C

as seen by my Dropcam in the window.

Meanwhile I'm facing the yard in back — my preferred angle of attack for daytime activities — with its superb north light.

June 15, 2012 at 04:31 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Watch ESPN app on iPad: world-changing:

Comments

Thanks for the I Pad holder post Joe !!!

Posted by: friskypainter | Jun 17, 2012 11:47:17 PM

Flautist, I apologize. She was apparently otherwise engaged at the time I created the post but trust me on this: I made a good faith effort to find her, because I know that posts are 10x better – at least — when they include a picture of her.

Posted by: bookofjoe | Jun 16, 2012 4:43:47 PM

No decorative Gray Cat in these pictures. Huge disappointment.

Posted by: Flautist | Jun 16, 2012 4:35:26 PM

My iPad stand (highest possible recommendation from me) is called the BookArc; it's made by TwelveSouth:

Bookarcipad_keyboard_newiPad_headerlarge

ProductImage_BookArc_for_iPad2

Posted by: bookofjoe | Jun 16, 2012 6:45:49 AM

Who makes the curved stand you have for your ipad Joe?

Posted by: friskypainter | Jun 15, 2012 11:45:35 PM

Dede, I'm using this app to view my Dropcam:

Posted by: bookofjoe | Jun 15, 2012 11:06:20 PM

What app are you using to view your dropcam?

Posted by: Dede | Jun 15, 2012 11:02:31 PM

Sitting down? Not on the treadmill?

But I digress....

Outstanding combination of technology. One more reason to procure the iPad. Thank you, kind sir.

Posted by: Matt Penning | Jun 15, 2012 8:47:47 PM

What? No ability to stream the APP's output to your Apple TV?

While I don't have the ESPN App (the sports that I follow aren't often televised), a ton of others including the Netflix App will stream to an Apple TV (yeah, the Apple TV is a great Netflix host) and it is very handy when you are traveling, or are a guest someplace where your iTunes collection / Netflix aren't available - one Apple TV, a power cord, and HDMI cable don't take up much space in the luggage).

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Jun 15, 2012 5:24:48 PM