« Toxic Laundry Hamper | Home | Rocking Chair Transformer Kit »

November 29, 2012

Gray Cat prepares for Chromebook unboxing

Photo copy 2

The machine arrived late yesterday afternoon, unannounced: according to Amazon the shipping date was still unknown when last I checked.

Long story short: This may be the biggest technology story of the 21st century.

Why?

Because Google and Samsung have produced what, judging from early reviews, is an industry changer:

• Total price for the laptop with built-in Verizon 3G Internet access with unlimited data for TWO YEARS: $329.

You read correctly: no contract/bills/overages/add-on fees.

That means anyone anywhere in the U.S. can instantly get portable Internet access with usable speed even if they never sign up with any provider.

How do you spell "eliminate the middleman?"

That's right! You're starting to think like an anesthesiologist.

But I digress.

The machine's got built-in WiFi so if you're in a hotspot or have WiFi at home, Bob's your uncle.

Google Chrome is native — duh — which is great from my perspective since I've been delighted with Chrome on my MBP since I adopted it recently.

Fair warning.

November 29, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Gray Cat prepares for Chromebook unboxing:

Comments

Free 3G caps at 100MB/month.. Once you burn thru that in about 10-mins. you are charged for the next tier up by Verizon. You get 100GB of google storage, but it ends in 2 years.

Posted by: robby69 | Dec 1, 2012 6:54:03 PM

if you love gadgets and want to have some fun get a galaxy s3

Posted by: Bobit | Nov 30, 2012 11:26:07 AM

I have a Nexus 7 and it's a wonderful device, but my experience with Google's "support" has been very interesting. I discovered a software bug (rookie code-monkey error) in the Gmail app that's native to the device and their support seems to be a bunch of online postings which may or may not see any kind of fix applied. Taking the bull by the tail and facing the situation (thank you W.C. Fields), i then actually called them up and found that Google Inc. is a maze of tiny little operations that like to not deal with problems (very reminiscent of Dell before it all caught up with them), and push you off onto someone else. Given how awful the current ISP duopoly is, I wonder if this kind of model with be able to manage if Google Fiber and the 3,4/G systems become prevalent.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 30, 2012 9:52:14 AM

"Apple had better be very worried about this machine because it is the camel's nose under the One Infinite Loop tent that could very well bring that upcoming spaceship crashing down in a fireball of creative destruction."

Block that metaphor! As the New Yorker used to say :)(:

Posted by: pambamboo | Nov 29, 2012 9:36:23 PM

Another shameless plug for my Nexus 7

I like (almost love) it!

Posted by: JoePeach | Nov 29, 2012 7:15:40 PM

I've been pretty happy with mine. I haven't found anything that it can't do beyond play Netflix. It used to work with chrome and now it doesn't, I guess a fix is on the way.

I prefer the chromebook to my w8 pc of similar screen size and it weighs about half as much. Battery life is better and it is silent.

I just use it for surfing and checking mail around the house, no 3g for me.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 29, 2012 5:12:51 PM

OK, Joe - we expect detailed, real-world use reports. Let's not forget the battery life, rugged use (take it on one of your training runs and update us "from the road") and the dirt about connect speeds under all conditions and locations.

Me? I just bought a new Mac Mini with HDMI output for a dedicated scanning station. Two scanners: http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/peripherals/scanners/scansnap/scansnap-s1500-deluxe-bundle.html
and,
A Chromebook doesn't do paper and slides....

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 29, 2012 5:08:08 PM

I'll be getting one - but ditching the Google-brand spyware, and their business model.

It'll be a sweet box for Ubuntu or ElementaryOS.

Posted by: Jeremiah Cornelius | Nov 29, 2012 4:10:04 PM

So what happens at the start of Year 3?

Posted by: JoeFan | Nov 29, 2012 3:18:00 PM