« Fun in the tub โ€” "Don't play with your food!" | Home | Blast from the past: Shorewest Yodeler Commercial »

November 16, 2012

Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector

71u7WILmN8L._AA1500_

Reading today's front page USA Today story about the many deaths and hospitalizations due to carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels over the past three years, I happened on a statement by Tom Daly, a consultant for the American Hotel & Lodging Association, that "Carbon monoxide incidents are rare, so there's no need for laws requiring hotels to have alarms."

71hzt2BXtsL._AA1500_

"Installation could cost the industry $250 million, while the chance of guests being poisoned is as rare as being hit by a meteor," he said.

312Uc6tPb6L copy

Dr. Robert Rosenthal of the University of Maryland School of Medicine responded, "I've treated a number of people with carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels, but I have yet to treat a patient with a meteor injury."

Why not get your own portable travel alarm and bypass the stonewalling by the hotel industry?

A snip at $19.99 โ€” in fact, cheap at twice the price.

Think about it. 

But not too long.

November 16, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink


TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c5dea53ef017ee5386c07970d

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector:

Comments

What is the source of CO in a hotel room that isn't some malletheads running a stove (or having a wild, romantic too-many-candles getaway)?

Posted by: Scott | Nov 17, 2012 12:06:00 PM

Waste of money!

The proper test is to put your in-laws (around my neck of the woods those folks are known as the "out-laws" for their 3.5 decade test of my patience) into the "dodgy" room. If they are pink and no longer supporting primary metabolism then the room is contaminated with CO.

I gave them a Hibachi & instant-light charcoal one winter holiday in northern Iowa; and, I still don't know how they cooked their breakfast in that no-tell motel, and lived.

On a serious note, in grad school I had a GF who complained of headaches upon waking (in her apartment), but, she never had the problem in my humble abode (a trailer-home parked 10 mi out from the university). It turned out to be a faulty vent for her gas-fired water heater. I dare say a very close call, that one was!

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 16, 2012 4:42:01 PM

Blast...I just bought one from the HVAC guy at an extreme markup. I figured I was getting gouged, but not for that much.

Shoulda waited for Unca Joe to come through for me.

Posted by: Nathan | Nov 16, 2012 1:59:14 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.