« Fun in the tub — "Don't play with your food!" | Home | Blast from the past: Shorewest Yodeler Commercial »

November 16, 2012

Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector


Reading today's front page USA Today story about the many deaths and hospitalizations due to carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels over the past three years, I happened on a statement by Tom Daly, a consultant for the American Hotel & Lodging Association, that "Carbon monoxide incidents are rare, so there's no need for laws requiring hotels to have alarms."


"Installation could cost the industry $250 million, while the chance of guests being poisoned is as rare as being hit by a meteor," he said.

312Uc6tPb6L copy

Dr. Robert Rosenthal of the University of Maryland School of Medicine responded, "I've treated a number of people with carbon monoxide poisoning in hotels, but I have yet to treat a patient with a meteor injury."

Why not get your own portable travel alarm and bypass the stonewalling by the hotel industry?

A snip at $19.99 — in fact, cheap at twice the price.

Think about it. 

But not too long.

November 16, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector:


What is the source of CO in a hotel room that isn't some malletheads running a stove (or having a wild, romantic too-many-candles getaway)?

Posted by: Scott | Nov 17, 2012 12:06:00 PM

Waste of money!

The proper test is to put your in-laws (around my neck of the woods those folks are known as the "out-laws" for their 3.5 decade test of my patience) into the "dodgy" room. If they are pink and no longer supporting primary metabolism then the room is contaminated with CO.

I gave them a Hibachi & instant-light charcoal one winter holiday in northern Iowa; and, I still don't know how they cooked their breakfast in that no-tell motel, and lived.

On a serious note, in grad school I had a GF who complained of headaches upon waking (in her apartment), but, she never had the problem in my humble abode (a trailer-home parked 10 mi out from the university). It turned out to be a faulty vent for her gas-fired water heater. I dare say a very close call, that one was!

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 16, 2012 4:42:01 PM

Blast...I just bought one from the HVAC guy at an extreme markup. I figured I was getting gouged, but not for that much.

Shoulda waited for Unca Joe to come through for me.

Posted by: Nathan | Nov 16, 2012 1:59:14 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.