« Thanksgiving Day prep: Final dessert of a 20-course meal at Alinea | Home | What is it? »

November 22, 2012

The day the music died: November 22, 1963

I was in the library at Washington High School, doing homework during my lunch hour, when the public address system brought news that would shake the world.

November 22, 2012 at 07:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The day the music died: November 22, 1963:

Comments

Ahh. Analogy, meet my friends Simile and Metaphor. When used as an analogy, the McLean song may be better than the literal "Abraham, Martin and John", which just isn't as catchy, however more apt in terms of commemorating the JFK assassination.

Posted by: Coward | Nov 24, 2012 4:53:12 PM

Coward: this post is known as an, "analogy".

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 24, 2012 4:17:26 PM

This song isn't about the JFK assassination or any other -- it's about "The Day The Musuc Died" -- the tragic planecrash that killed Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and "The Big Bopper".

Posted by: Coward | Nov 24, 2012 12:38:19 PM

An incredible experience that has been repeated too many times in my lifetime. Dick Holler's seminal Abraham, Martin and John is nearly 35 years old and we still can't agree on some cogent public policy to end the carnage.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 23, 2012 2:14:31 AM

4th Grade. Trudy F. started crying, overwrought about the coming communist takeover. I recall being riveted to the tv through the funeral. Seeing Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald. Surreal shock.

Posted by: Matt Penning | Nov 23, 2012 12:40:52 AM

I was in a reading circle in third grade. The principal announced the death of the President over the PA. His voice was trembling. The superintendent closed all the schools for the remainder of the day.

Posted by: antares | Nov 22, 2012 4:58:26 PM

Yes, I was standng in my dorm room just back from chemistry 101. The whole campus was in shock and it seemed like nobody spoke for the next hour. We grew up hard. Peace-

Posted by: Marianne Kandel | Nov 22, 2012 10:18:27 AM