« Refrigerator Upgrade Magnet | Home | NO TRESPASSING: STONEMASON WORKING — VIOLATORS WILL BE CRUSHED »

November 23, 2012

Z

Oh, please, don't start in with how poor your AT&T coverage and/or reception is or was.

I don't care.

Whether you initially choose Sprint or Verizon or switch from AT&T, you immediately lose the fantastic power of the iPhone 5 to connect to the web and let you do anything you like while you're talking to someone.

I find this function so invaluable and important that I simply cannot understand why a sane person would throw it away in the name of a better voice connection.

Who talks on the phone anymore anyway?

Think like an anesthesiologist.

November 23, 2012 at 08:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Why anyone with an iPhone would choose Sprint or Verizon over AT&T is a complete mystery to me:

Comments

A technical explanation from Anandtech as to why Sprint/Verizon iPhones don't do simultaneous voice and data: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-the-iphone-5-lacks-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

Technodolt summary: Not enough antennas on the iPhones to support the voice over LTE feature, but that feature will come to Sprint and Verizon iPhones in the future. Android LTE phones that can do this generally have the requisite 3 antennas.

But it's odd to think that simultaneous voice+data somehow trump the much more fundamental issue of coverage. No coverage means you have a heavier iPod Touch. However, looking at rootmetrics' map of BoJ World HQ, I see that Verizon and AT&T both have equally bad coverage, so in that scenario, why not go for the convenience feature? But overall, Verizon beats its competitors when it comes to data both in speed (locales with LTE) and coverage (slow, but at least it exists). AT&T just announced a 3 year plan to expand its network's LTE coverage, but it's definitely playing catch up now.

Posted by: tm | Nov 28, 2012 4:49:10 PM

If nobody talks on the phone any more, why do I need the capability of surfing while I talk?

Posted by: EEJ | Nov 25, 2012 1:55:51 PM

I don't get it... all of the 4G Android phones on Verizon LTE have always been capable of surfing the web while talking. What am I missing?

Posted by: Davie County | Nov 24, 2012 2:46:26 AM

Virginia -- I was so happy to get facetime over cellular yesterday...and hoping to get it today when I drove home. I have the unlimited data and thus cut off unless I hack my phone. But I often talk with a friend that does not get contextual clues unless she can see a conversation, so facetime is a must -- even if I'm not looking at the screen.

And then it was turned off.

That said, I'm like the moleman...I use enough data that I'm not moving over to a metered system any time soon. I've used 2.5GB of data over my phone in the last 30 days and I don't see myself using less. I bought unlimited and this was the intended use. If I get dropped from unlimited, I'll sell my phone and go to Verizon...but not because they are any better, but because it is a real pain for companies to drop long term customers.

Posted by: clifyt | Nov 23, 2012 5:41:08 PM

great! - now i can talk and surf while i drive!!

Posted by: rob | Nov 23, 2012 5:06:21 PM

Yes, Virginia, us grandfathered types can only FaceTime through WiFi (and I pay a {}~#%< of money to those jerks) because they want us to dump the unlimited plan and go to one of their shared plans to enable FaceTime over cellular. Well, I stream a ton of podcasts (OK, perhaps 20 hrs @ 4 hr/day commuting) and won't drop my unlimited plan till they pry my tech from my cold, robotic, steel fingers!

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 23, 2012 3:15:46 PM

Actually, fast data requires a better connection than voice transmission, because voice uses hardly any bandwidth. If you have a poor AT&T connection then your data will drop to 3G or Edge before you notice any difference in the voice connection. You certainly won't get LTE or 4G data rates. Thus, those who have poor AT&T reception will have the worst of both worlds. This, of course, goes for Verizon and Sprint as well.

Posted by: Paul Biba | Nov 23, 2012 2:50:57 PM

Posted by: Paul Biba | Nov 23, 2012 2:50:56 PM

Except if you want to FaceTime over cellular! If you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, you can't! Yesterday, some funky stuff was happening with AT&T...it allowed you to do so, but then it shut off. AT&T couldn't explain what was happening.

Posted by: Virginia | Nov 23, 2012 12:53:30 PM

I'm going to write the satire: Think Like the Anesthetized.

Who needs an iPhone while experiencing a Ketamine nightmare?

Think like you're anesthetized! Scream about those Martians coming to get you!

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 23, 2012 9:48:36 AM