« December 15, 2012 | Main | December 17, 2012 »

December 16, 2012

Twice in one day? You betcha: Lady Gaga x Rolling Stones shred "Gimme Shelter" — even better than today's wake-up call

It's no surprise that this morning's post featuring their sensational version of "Gimme Shelter" from last night has already been dumped down the memory hole and deleted from YouTube.

The surprise is that it took till now.

Reader Jerry brought that news but also something wonderful — namely, this link to another, even more scintillating version — longer, with better video and audio — which, if past is prologue, won't linger long.

Fair warning — yeah Joe Peach I'm talkin' to YOU.

December 16, 2012 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Christian Louboutin Spiked Tartan Twill iPad Case

197336_ou_xl

Très

197336_fr_xl

chic.

197336_cu_xl

Signature red leather lining.

197336_e1_xl

$695 (iPad not included. Sillybilly.]

December 16, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

A note from the bridge

A-LLQmDCUAISwBD

Above, the scene here at crazy busy boj World HQ, with Gray Cat at the helm and yours truly in the XO chair plotting our course as we make our way through the world at default flank speed.

Constant readers may have noticed a few changes here the past few months and I thought I'd take a few minutes to outline them and their rationale (if any existed).

1. On September 27 I decided to drop my longtime (8+ years, since August 2004) schedule of 8 posts/day appearing one minute after each hour from 9:01 a.m. to 4:01 p.m. in favor of a scattershot approach: 8 posts/day, yes — but from now on they could appear anytime (still one minute after the hour).

Why did I drop the rigid time frame? Because it struck me as unnecessary and limiting and was starting to annoy me, keeping me up late some nights to make sure I had all the next morning's ducks in a row.

2. On October 17 I decreased the number of daily posts to 7. Why? Because at heart I'm very lazy, and this translated into an instant 12.5% reduction in expended energy and effort.

But also, it occurred to me that sometimes there can be too much of something. I wondered if by making content scarcer, it might be more considered more valuable. I mean, it worked for DeBeers and diamonds, what?

The rapid appearance of new posts one after another might not be the most reader-friendly approach, I reasoned, and might well cause you to say "Too much, I can't keep up," and not be bothered.

3. On December 8 I dropped the number of daily posts from 7 to 6 and reinstituted rigid scheduling as in the old 8-post days: this time around, though, at 12:01 a.m., 4:01 a.m., 8:01 a.m., 12:01 p.m., 4:01 p.m., and 8:01 p.m.

I like the look of that grid a lot and I think it has the advantage of letting a post percolate a while before something new bubbles to the surface.

Besides which, it makes boj a truly global production in that no matter where you are, new posts appear throughout your waking day.

This makes sense to me since less than half of my readers are in the U.S.: boj really does have world-wide reach.

Above, a current graph of joeheads around the planet.

Have these changes been for the good?

I can say for sure they've been for my good and that's important because if I ain't happy, there's not gonna be any bookofjoe.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if one day it suddenly goes dark.

"Never complain, never explain" is one of my all-time favorite quotes (Jack Kent Cooke said it) and I've always taken it to heart, and it's precisely the approach I'll be taking when it's time.

But not today.

Since September 27, the day I started shaking things up, traffic has increased.

So much for the analytical, data-driven approach a là Google.

Diff'rent strokes.

Below, another shot from mission control:

6a00d8341c5dea53ef017ee64ee884970d

Gray Cat in her stateroom after turning over the bridge to yours truly.

December 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Rolling Stones + Lady Gaga — Gimme Shelter LIVE

Epic.

Filmed by a fan from stage right last night at the Prudential Center in Newark.

YouTube caption: "She just shredded this classic with them. Partial, as she wasn't announced prior to the song's start."

Fair warning: This video's gonna disappear any second so enjoy it while you can.

December 16, 2012 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBack

Mark Twight — Is he "the world's most interesting man?"

Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 4.30.04 PM

Seeing as how I've never met nor spoken with him I'm hardly in a position to say but I can say that he's a thousand times more interesting than that Dos Equis guy.

Why?

Because Twight's real.

Above, his homepage.

Full disclosure: I only heard of him when I came across his book "Extreme Alpinism" and decided to give it a read.

I enjoyed every word of it even thought I've never climbed anything higher than the roof of my house.

I just like reading about and learning from people who push limits.

I reviewed the book on November 29, 2004 following which he sent me a nice email and he and I have had a couple more back-and-forths over the years.

He also runs Gym Jones.

Here's another person on my bucket list of people I'd like to meet someday but never will.

No matter.

I just happened on his website and man, there is a ton of interesting stuff there.

Fair warning.

December 16, 2012 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

World's Tiniest Notebook

Memorandumcard_01_LRG

Wrote Brian Green on briangreen.net:

Memorandumcard_03_LRG

"Hailed as the world's tiniest notebook, the Memorandum Card has been designed to fit into a standard credit card-sized wallet slot. This incredibly slim memo pad has an unbelievable 31 sheets of paper in it and is only 1.6 mm thick — oh, and it weighs just 6 grams."

Memorandumcard_02_LRG

Six colors: black, white, blue, red, bronze, gold.

Memorandumcard_LRG