« January 26, 2013 | Main | January 28, 2013 »

January 27, 2013

What is it?

G

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: Smaller than a bread box.

Another: Not edible.

A third: Made in the Eastern Hemisphere.

January 27, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Jennifer Frost will check your grammar

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 11.22.33 AM

Free, the way we like it.

Just in, this email from her:

Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 11.23.38 AM

I'm thinking people whose native language is not English could do far worse — and pay a whole lot more than free — to get the same (or worse results).

Just sayin'.

January 27, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Reflective Rope

RR_Feature_00_l

This is such a good idea

RR_Feature_02_l

it's hard to believe

RR_Feature_01_l

it took this long for it to arrive here @CluelessCentral.

RR_Feature_03_l

50 feet for $11.99.

RR-04-50_l

Cheap at twice the price.

January 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

World Architecture Community

Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 1.22.28 PM

What is World Architecture Community?

See below.

Screen Shot 2013-01-26 at 1.19.04 PM

The directories alone (top) make it an invaluable resource.

Free, the way we like it.

January 27, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

4:01 a.m. Bottle Opener Series — Episode 8: Batman Ring Bottle Opener

Ring1

From the family Troost in The Netherlands — yes, I'm starting to reap the rewards of a planet-wide rather than U.S.-centric readership — comes this formidable entry.

Ring2

Wrote Nicole Wakelin in thatsnerdalicious,

Ring5

"This handy ring takes into account both your love of Batman and your love of beer."

Ring6

"It's a 3-D printed stainless steel ring with the Bat Signal on the front and a built-in bottle opener in the back."

Ring3

"They're made to order in your size and come in a variety of other geeky styles like Transformers, Superman, and the Rebel Alliance symbol."

Ring4

January 27, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

The deep pleasure of making a mistake

Sometimes I can't believe how many times I go back and forth, over and over and over a post to make sure I've gotten every detail right.

15 rereads is common.

Each time through I find another error — of fact, spelling, grammar, linkage, punctuation, you name it.

But the thing that sends me into a swoon of combined delight and rage is when, after all that time and effort, upon publication I happen on another mistake that somehow made it through all those edits.

How, I wonder, did I not see that earlier?

But coupled with my frustration is a sense of delight at being wrong after I was sure I'd gotten things completely right.

Because if I can be that certain and still be wrong about what I thought was true and correct after all that expended energy and effort, how much more about the world am I missing and simply not apprehending as it really is?

How much real truth is there for the taking right in front of me, if only I could recognize it for what it is instead of distorting it through my lens of personal perception and miscomprehension filter?

Every mistake revealed is a gesture by the universe in my direction, a nod to me to take another look, to step back from certainty, to allow for error in everything, all the time.

Think of the busy machinery of life on a submicroscopic level, stepping past and ignoring repeated misfires and mistakes yet keeping our greater self somehow alive and kicking along the path our personality creates in conjunction with events sliding against our actions and words with every passing moment.

More slaps upside the head please, from both myself for my own constant practice of getting it wrong — or at least, not quite right — and from others who notice where I've missed something: that's a recipe for the kind of life I want to live.

January 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack