« Notes on "Zero Dark Thirty" | Home | Writers: Publish your work on bookofjoe and keep ALL your rights »

January 17, 2013

Influenza Sorbet — MUCH better than a flu shot

Influenza_Pint_web__76291.1325274097.460.504

Why?

Influenza_Sorbet_BIGHEAD__53789.1323714989.460.504

Because once you've gotten the flu after having taken the time and trouble to get a flu shot — FunFact: this season's version offers a 62% likelihood of protection — you'll be even more miserable realizing you wasted your time and money on something useless.

Jeni%2527s-Spoons-InfluenzaREV2__47787.1323714850.460.504

I could've told you as much and in fact have alluded to this here in several posts over the past couple weeks but never too stridently: after all, when I point out that flu shots are based on weak science — at best — more often than not people retort, "What do you know? You're an anesthesiologist, not a real doctor."

Hard to argue with that.

Anyway.

From Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams comes Influenza Sorbet, packed with cayenne pepper, ginger, Maker's Mark bourbon, honey, orange juice, and lemon juice.

Yo Jane Friedman — this beats some bozo doctor administering a bogus flu test, then telling you with a straight face you've got "paraflu."

That wasn't in my infectious diseases textbook at UCLA Medical School in the 70s but then again I'm an anesthesiologist, not a real doctor.

Ha.

One pint costs $12.

[via NOTCOT and MillHouse]

January 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Influenza Sorbet — MUCH better than a flu shot:

Comments

@ Nathan

Ice Cream as a delivery medium for vaccine (for children) - a cool idea but probably cost prohibitive.

Maybe a lifesavers type of vaccine candy would work (?) an interesting idea especially for third world countries given that the cost and logistics of transporting and correctly handling vaccines, spent needles, non latex gloves, etc. is an issue.

@ Joe

Thanks for the name change !

Posted by: MillHouse | Jan 18, 2013 8:16:30 PM

If I get a flu shot, I will be sick for 3 days.

If I get the flu, I will be sick for 3 days.

That is my experience. YMMV.

Posted by: antares | Jan 17, 2013 5:57:31 PM

Never had a flu shot and have no plans to get one. Anyone who prescribes ice cream instead of a shot is a real doctor as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: YesBiscuit! | Jan 17, 2013 2:45:53 PM

I've had my share of really nasty influenza infections. The annual inoculation is not wholly based upon magic. I'll continue to take them.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Jan 17, 2013 2:40:02 PM

what a great idea for a flavor that also sounds good to the tongue but honestly, after 3 weeks with the flu I'm putting my money on a flu shot next winter.

Posted by: rob | Jan 17, 2013 12:33:49 PM

I used to be saddled with pretty bad flu at least two of every three years since I was a wee tyke, with two weeks out of school or work on average each time. Fifteen years ago, I ended up in hospital over Christmas week with double lobal pneumonia that opportunistically took up residence during a particularly bad tussle with influenza. One nurse told me later that they made small wagers on whether I'd last the first night. I spent the next three weeks suffering from every side effect of prednisone except for that pesky final one listed ("sudden death"). Worst was the arrhythmia, which startled me awake every few minutes for twenty days.

I found none of that enjoyable, so in the hope of getting a little protection, I've gotten annual flu shots since 1996. A quick calculation based on admittedly small-sample personal statistics suggests I ought to have had flu around nine times since then, but I've had it exactly no times in fourteen years.

Purely anecdotal? Sure. Just lucky? Could be, yup. Will I get a flu shot again next year? What do you think?

Posted by: Mike Harney | Jan 17, 2013 12:31:05 PM

I'm a computer scientist, not a real doctor, so following the medical advice of an anesthesiologist is still a step up for me.

When I first read the title I thought the sorbet actually had the influenza virus in the same theoretically-deactivated form as the vaccine, and was a tad bit grossed out.

Posted by: Nathan | Jan 17, 2013 12:27:15 PM