« February 15, 2013 | Main | February 17, 2013 »

That's

Dde2_huey_color_copying_chameleon_colorgrid

different.

Dde2_huey_color_copying_chameleon_hero

[via Richard Kashdan]

February 16, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

My new favorite time conversion website

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.37.16 PM

Why?

Because it's fun to move the slider around.

That's more than enough for me.

You — I can't speak for you.

February 16, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

I HEART NUEVA YORK — Phillip Lim Cotton Jersey Tank Top

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.03.42 PM

Cotton jersey knitted tank

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.04.46 PM

with crew neckline,

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.04.38 PM

rolled hems, and

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.04.55 PM

side slits.

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 7.04.08 PM

$115.

[via Erica M. Blumenthal and the New York Times]

February 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

If I'd ever had any doubt about where I'm from, this video reassured me

When I watched this sublime dashcam video from a Russian car calmly making its way down the road only to be interrupted by a tank taking the shortest route between two points right across its proverbial bow, I knew I was good.

Wait a sec... what's that music I'm hearing?

Yeah, this first-gen descendant of U.S.S.R. born-and-bred parents knows just how lucky he is to have ended up here and now.

February 16, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Giant Rubber Nail Door Stopper

Nail-door-stopper-xl

Yes, our month-long collective 4:01 a.m. nightmare is over: no more bottle openers.

Nail-door-stopper-2

A plea from reader Larry Ziegler late yesterday afternoon caught me in a rare willing-to-consider-alternatives mood and the more I thought about what he wrote in his comment — "STOP BOTTLE OPENERS!" — the more I agreed with his sentiment.

Your wish is my demand.

Wait a sec... that's not right.

Never mind.

From The Green Head: "If you have a drafty house where when the windows are open, all the doors start obnoxiously slamming shut, just nail them down with this cool new Nail Door Stopper. Yep, a fun, giant rubber nail for cramming under doors that don't want to behave in a breeze."

Rubber and ABS plastic.

5.2"L x 2.2"Ø.

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 4.53.16 PM

February 16, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Sheet grippers will improve your sleep — or your money back*

61Thm8BZYKL

I don't know how long ago I discovered these nifty little devices — maybe 20 years? — but ever since I bought a set and installed them on my bed, my slumber's been a thing of beauty.

Long story short: They stretch your sheets so you end up sleeping on some might tighty whities (or colors, pastels, or patterns — they work equally well on sheets that weren't — or in your case, kemo sabe, once were but now aren't — white. Heh. Yeah, they actually are pretty disgusting. Good thing you never turn the overhead light on. Hah — gotcha!).

But I digress.

A set of four costs $8.49.

I recommend two sets so that you can put two on each side of the mattress to really tension things up.

So simple, and yet so very effective.

Lagniappe: no moving parts.

I always take two sets when I travel and install them as soon as I get to the room with the bed I'm gonna be sleeping on.

I do this because when it's late and you're tired, there's a tendency to say the heck with it, I'm sure the sheets are fine.

WRONG.

Too many times I've had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep in already foreign beds because the sheets aren't smooth and tight like at home.

Shape up: Think like an anesthesiologist.

71xrwadDuoL._SL1500_

*Yes, you read that right: if your sleep doesn't improve after installing these clever doohickies, simply email me and I will refund TWICE what you paid for them.

That's the bookofjoe Way®™©: No one should ever fear being hung out to dry after taking one of my half-assed suggestions and then finding its promise to have fallen short of expectations.

Try asking for your money back from other sites under similar circumstances: now THAT'S funny!

February 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack