« Planet Dork Workshop's Steel Mouse Doorstop | Home | What is it? »

February 18, 2013

Free will is like free money — I'm always willing to take some

Scan

Above, a paid advertisement that occupied one-sixth of page 22 of yesterday's New York Times Arts & Leisure section.

I read it once, then again, then stopped trying to understand it and decided on the spot to post it here and let you 'splain it to me.

Ricky?

Flautistotle?

clifyt?

Anyone?

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

February 18, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Free will is like free money — I'm always willing to take some:

Comments

@Rocketboy: According to the Christian Bible, you're not being punished by Satan, you're being punished alongside Satan. I know, who'd have thought that all those Far Side cartoons would be theologically inaccurate?

Also, paradoxically, many Christian sects do not believe in free will (ref: Calvinism; reformed theology). I would guess that a belief in free will is more widespread amongst nonbelievers than believers (even with hardcore nondeterminists like Scott Adams amongst the former).

Anyway, I'm betting the guy posting the ad really just wanted to get a date. Play to your strengths, right? If you can strum like a champ, play the guitar in front of the ladies. If all you have is incomprehensible psychobabble, well, surely someone's turned on by that, eh?

Posted by: Nathan | Feb 20, 2013 3:55:03 PM

> joepeach.. LOL! I was surprised the Times piece wasn't actually signed by Agent Smith.

> Rocketboy... great comment! I'd never thought about it that way.

> Mike Harney... you're undoubtedly right, but I'd rather that than see another appliance sale ad in its place!

Posted by: Fred | Feb 18, 2013 9:57:38 PM

Thoughtfully considered, weighty, apropos....oh, wait, this comment was supposed to be for the Planet Dork Mouse Doorstop....

Posted by: Marianne Kandel | Feb 18, 2013 9:54:40 PM

Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself. Although, only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson, Why? Why do you persist?

Posted by: joepeach | Feb 18, 2013 9:41:04 PM

Why indeed, Rocketboy!

Posted by: joepeach | Feb 18, 2013 9:36:02 PM

Ok, not only am I entierly stumped, my google fails me.

To expand upon Becs's comment, if there is such a thing as Satan, and he doesn't like God, why would Satan punish you for disobeying God?

Posted by: Rocketboy | Feb 18, 2013 8:39:06 PM

If there is such a thing as Hell, is there any soul condemned to it by a truly loving and all-forgiving God?

Posted by: Becs | Feb 18, 2013 2:13:08 PM

The lesson here, I think, is that people with a lot of money and time on their hands might just drink quite a lot of alcohol on a weekday Valentine's Day, perhaps even enough to grandly think themselves masters of philosophy. This is fine so long as you keep it to yourself. The only real mistake here is that he -- I'll wager dollars to doughnuts it's a man -- decided to order the full page for the Sunday issue before he sobered up.

Posted by: Mike Harney | Feb 18, 2013 1:05:58 PM

Missed this yesterday. 0545 at my Starbucks - I must have needed another shot or two of espresso.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Feb 18, 2013 11:36:00 AM