« Through Google Glass, Darkly | Home | Predicting whether a marriage will implode by looking at a picture »

December 05, 2013

"The Counselor"-recommended life termination tool: Wet work in your pocket

24-110_7

If you happened to see the riveting new movie "The Counselor" you will have first heard of and then seen demonstrated on the streets of London a frightening tool for assassination.

24-110_1-1

Now comes Unikia, out of Norway rather than a lawless Russian "stan" republic, with a consumer version styled as a "microlock."

24-110_11

Yes, yes, I know — they know nothing about any applications outside the personal EDC microlock space but come on, girls and guys: wake up and smell the gravlax*!

24-110_4

24-110_13

••••••••••••••••••••••

24-110_5

World's Smallest Microlock

24-110_12

Sometimes you just have the need to secure your belongings.

24-110_3

Be it your pram, your bag, your bike… with the Microlock you always have a handy lock available!

N

The Microlock is only about 4 cm (1.6") in diameter, but it contains a 66 cm (26")-long super strong wire, so you can lock anything anywhere.

You can easily roll the wire back onto the Microlock, making it very easy both to carry and to use.

It has a preset two-digit code.

••••••••••••••••••••••

€12.95

*Norwegian: gravlaks

December 5, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference "The Counselor"-recommended life termination tool: Wet work in your pocket:

Comments

wot: no curation whatsover — I ONLY publish whatever I get for free.

The problem is that the people whose stuff I feature — like the creators of this item along with many others that have appeared here in recent months, Norway-based Unikia — don't seem to have received the memo: I have yet to receive anything from them!

FunFact: not even a 'thank you' or even an acknowledgement.

But that's OK, because I've got you.

Posted by: bookofjoe | Dec 7, 2013 1:38:52 PM

Okay, why don't I cut the strap on the backpack or just rifle through it and take what I want. Do you do any curation at all or just publish whatever you get for free?

Posted by: wot | Dec 7, 2013 1:24:29 PM

"Be it your pram, your bag, your bike" - all things in/on which you can carry a far stronger cable if you're that worried. It's a nice looking idea, but for the stated purpose there are better (and cheaper) ways of addressing it. It's almost as if they've been driven by the "small is cool" factor rather than reality.

Posted by: Graeme | Dec 5, 2013 9:15:04 PM

This is okay for a kid's bicycle at the playground for a brief moment, but little else. The shareholder(s) is going to lose his shirt, Mr. Stirt.

Posted by: Jesse | Dec 5, 2013 8:33:43 PM

Yeah, but in my experience, backpack thieves are opportunists who don't really take that much time to do their job.

I ran a facility at a university where students were to leave their backpacks at the front of the room so they could test (or ideally, in the lockers outside or in their dorm or whereever). And we had cameras all over the place. Over two years, we had a few taken. And it was QUICK. And it wasn't just the matter of taking someone else's backpack, it was concealing it. One threw the stolen one into their own. Another two under jackets. And each time we'd be looking at the high-def cameras that we bought because they were used in casinos and you'd see the backpack and then it was gone. Going to slow-mo you could see how quick and precise their movements were.

If you are in a coffee shop or walking away for a minute or two at a bus stop, no one is going to spend the minute or two to zip through the digits or pull out a bolt cutter — and these threaded cables do a number on bolt cutters where it isn't a clean cut. It takes a few passes. You can do it, but it isn't going to be unnoticed.

This isn't for leaving your stuff out overnight... it's for being able to walk away for a minute without someone running with it.

Posted by: clifyt | Dec 5, 2013 1:11:05 PM

I think 2 minutes is about all it would buy. I wouldn't walk away from the thing.
Seems too easy to crack 2 digits, snip that wire or unzip the backpack. Definitely a better garotte.

Posted by: tamra | Dec 5, 2013 11:53:28 AM

I keep a backpack lock around and this would be AWESOME. I just need something to keep an idiot at bay for a minute or two while getting my coffee and flirting with the hot barista without having to look over my shoulder every two minutes.

Posted by: clifyt | Dec 5, 2013 9:57:46 AM