« Hermès Baseball Glove | Home | Solar Mountie »

May 6, 2014

A modest proposal: cut back boj from 7 days/week to 3?

Eight Days a Week new zealand

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 4.33.29 PM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A month and a half ago, while I was still on hiatus, longtime reader Steve Frisk offered the comment above.

He made a number of points in support of his argument that I would do better by you — my readers — to offer significantly less in the way of posts, currently six daily seven days a week.

What say you?

Keep in mind that up until the fall of 2012, from boj's inception in August of 2004, I put up eight posts daily.

May 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

Luv the Beatles reference.Stuff like this well... awesome. Joe this is why you may never leave even if U choose my proposal, which I still think is best.You're smoking hot daddy,we love and crave it like sick White Castle addicts.

Posted by: steven frisk | May 15, 2014 1:26:17 AM

I love being able to go to the spring for a sip of intelligence once again. Your site is the water cooler where I go to refresh myself and drink the private elixir.

As others have posted, do what's comfortable for you. Your absence left a such a hole in my desk. We want to keep your soothing touch.

Posted by: Kay | May 15, 2014 12:12:04 AM

What Nathan said: If you want to broadcast to an audience, seven days a week is fine. If you want to foster conversation, fewer posts per day (regardless of days per week) would likely get you there.

I have no problem reading every post and every comment but I'm self-employed so only read any blog 1 or 2 x a week so most of the comments are closed by the time I get to them.....

Posted by: pamela gene daley | May 11, 2014 10:52:09 PM

Ditto Joe, whatever works for you. We love what we get, but you matter more.

Posted by: tamra | May 9, 2014 3:32:12 AM

Without knowing the reasons you dissapeared, and assuming that it was the jugernaught that was boj, that causes a break, then yes, cut it back.

Posted by: Jo | May 8, 2014 2:11:29 PM

Which week?

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | May 8, 2014 3:28:37 AM

i enjoy it as is but if you desire a change i'm all for it

Posted by: robweeve | May 7, 2014 10:15:50 PM

As long as I get a post just once in a while I'm happy! You should make new posts when you feel like it, not because you feel like you have to. :)

Posted by: Pippi | May 7, 2014 10:43:51 AM

A modest proposal: cut back boj from 7 days/week to 3?

BETTER THEN NONE AT ALL

Posted by: larry ziegler | May 7, 2014 10:39:51 AM

Do what you feel, what's best for you. Glad to have you back.
I will be reading no matter how often you post.

Posted by: Roxanne | May 7, 2014 7:37:57 AM

I appreciate the pace you have kept throughout. Having maintained a blog with four posts a day for five years, I can appreciate the effort and also the rhythm. As a reader, I read your blog once a day in the evening to catch the day's posts. So, for me, I'd like to see some every day. I'm thrilled you have picked up posting again. I say as long as the ratio of pleasure of posting to work > 1, go for it!

Posted by: Tom | May 6, 2014 10:23:38 PM

Whatever you do, I will read.
I tend to flick on your site whenever I sit down to the computer - from twice to 15 times a day. Sometimes there are new things...sometimes not. 2-3 posts every day would be my best ratio. It would keep me checking back every day more than once.

Posted by: Carol Feldman | May 6, 2014 9:34:26 PM

Joe- you post when ever you want to. I will read.

I am so happy to have you back I would even be satisfied with once a month-- although I might go into Grey-Cat-withdraw -- it would really be great to see her at least once a week.

But to be serious. Blogs take time and energy. We would rather have a much slower Joe than no Joe.

Posted by: Pamela | May 6, 2014 8:02:03 PM

The big question to me is the comments. Eight posts for seven days a week...I don't mind if they pile up in my RSS reader. But by the time I get to an item and leave a comment, the river -- and the readers -- have moved on.

Posted by: Nathan | May 6, 2014 6:32:21 PM

Joe,

Welcome back. I don't think you need to be compulsive about the number of posts. Post when you feel like it. Setting a number goal is arbitrary at best.

Posted by: Tyler | May 6, 2014 6:26:51 PM

Your loyal followers will be happy with whatever you decide works best for you. I can't believe how much BoJ was missed while you were on hiatus. I know I checked BoJ at least once a day, hoping you'd come back to us. So glad you're back :)

Posted by: tracy hartley | May 6, 2014 5:45:05 PM

I'm a dedicated reader/follower. I came back every day you didn't post and I will return with whatever regularity you choose. On off days you could just post a picture of Gray Cat in a different sleep position.

Posted by: Chicat | May 6, 2014 5:41:06 PM

I'm in it for the long run.

one day a week, some days a week or,

Posted by: Joe Peach | May 6, 2014 5:07:53 PM

Healing takes time and energy and strength. Yours have been taxed. If you want to slow down, do so.
If you feel like you want to do a few extra posts, do them when you want to do so.
If it feels right to pick up the pace, test the waters and slow down if you get tired.

Start with the three.

Posted by: itsrichard | May 6, 2014 3:58:32 PM

What ever works for you, Joe. Variety is the spice of life, perhaps. As a creature of habits, you might prefer a regular schedule, as opposed to upon whim. I do want to see more posts from you, instead of bupkis.

Posted by: Matt Penning | May 6, 2014 3:51:01 PM

I breakfast at 7, lunch at noon, supper at 6, so there's no need for you to be open any other time. After all, it is about me is it not?

Posted by: xoxoxoBruce | May 6, 2014 3:25:04 PM

Once a day seven days a week? Or multiple times a day three days a week? Or once a day three days a week? I think it's whatever works for you. As a wise, wise man once said, you are the master of your domain. ;-)

Posted by: Katherine @ Grass Stains | May 6, 2014 2:53:49 PM

I can handle, and greatly appreciate, 3 times a week, too.

But, as others have said, do what YOU feel best with.

Thanks for posting ANYTHING - your blog is the BEST

Posted by: terrence | May 6, 2014 2:20:34 PM

Three days works for me. I'm just so glad you're back and will continue to appreciate your efforts to share cool Info with us.

Posted by: Lorelei | May 6, 2014 2:06:15 PM

"Dave tufte" on May 6th said it best...
"go for whatever works for you."...

He also said...
"I think you're the most unusual blog that I regularly read.

You put up as much as you feel comfortable with, and I'll keep reading"

For me I will follow no mater what you decide ...

Posted by: R. N. Palmer | May 6, 2014 1:22:08 PM

I've been of the chorus to cut back as well before you get burned out, but you do what you feel is best. Don't worry about the rest of us. We don't pay to visit and you don't owe any of us a thing.

I don't know what caused you to leave for hiatus, but it must have been something that affected you deeply. I'd rather not have any BoJ knowing that you are enjoying life, than have a BoJ where you feel you are a slave to it.

Posted by: clify-2-tha-mofo-t | May 6, 2014 1:19:05 PM

I think you're the most unusual blog that I regularly read.

You put up as much as you feel comfortable with, and I'll keep reading (and linking).

But, the only reason to maintain an 8 for 7 pace week after week is if you're trying to generate traffic to monetize. If you're into that, then you've got a business decision to make. If you're not, then go for whatever works for you.

Posted by: Dave tufte | May 6, 2014 12:07:03 PM

Sounds good to me! Love your blog, Joe. I can deal with 3x a week!

Posted by: Rob Wiley | May 6, 2014 12:04:27 PM