« British General Post Office Model 746 Phone (1967) | Home | WhiteWalls — Magnetic Dry-Erase Steel Whiteboard Wall Paneling »

August 19, 2014

"What Will Happen If You Boil Coke?"

From Bloomberg Businessweek: "A Russian video, 'What Will Happen If You Boil Coke?,' claims to show people how much 'junk' is in a bottle of Coca-Cola. It has been viewed 18.6 millions times on YouTube."

August 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

Damn, Clifyt beat me to it!

I use cola in a number of BBQ sauce bases and during the 3rd phase of my 321 ribs. The sweetness is really hard to beat.

Jake

Posted by: Rattlesnake Jake | Aug 22, 2014 4:34:34 AM

Winter break. Did I neglect to say it was the middle of the night? It was the middle of the night. Metal walls, concrete floors, doors open, fans blowing. Average low for December in Pasadena is 47º. On the night of the 31st we'd camp out on the sidewalk to get a primo spot for the parade. Sometimes there was frost on the ground.

It was frickin' F-R-I-G-I-D. Not freezing, but frigid. I was there.

Besides, have I ever written anything on bookofjoe that wasn't perfectly true?

Posted by: Marianne | Aug 21, 2014 9:19:44 AM

"frigid warehouse in Pasadena"

Only if the AC was on...

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Aug 21, 2014 3:10:22 AM

Hexoses, disaccharides and polycarbonates, oh my!

An overdramatization of a simple fact. The label on 500 mg of Coke says it contains 53 grams of sugars, or about 2T. Rendering down a Coke to caramelized sugar yields—about 2T (notwithstanding the close-up camera shot for dramatic effect, the tiny spoon which exaggerates the glob's apparent mass, Taras’ display of incredulity, etc.).

If you read and trust the Coke label in the first place then you know how much sugar you’re getting and you can skip the science experiment. The Real Thing.

A few years ago when I was a fresh-faced college girl, I spent winter breaks in a frigid warehouse in Pasadena gluing flowers onto floats for the New Years Day Rose Parade. We survived on hot Coke with a twist of lemon. It was clear, bright and envigorating. No sludge, no liver congestion or clogged carotids.

Taras’ glop looks more like the mastic we used to glue on the flowers. It was evil stuff, exuding toxic fumes and highly flammable, hence the need for open doors, blowing fans and hot bevvies.

Come to think of it, maybe the mastic came from overboiled Coke.

Hot Coke with lemon is still a winter fave. The trick is to heat it just to simmering, enough to warm one’s innards while still retaining the fizz. Check back with me in November.

Posted by: Marianne | Aug 20, 2014 2:51:36 PM

Fructose (a six-carbon sugar, as opposed to Sucrose (table sugar) a twelve-carbon sugar) and several acids along with the cola-extract reduced to syrup is a "glaze" best applied at the very end of traditional smoking.

There are hundreds of Coke-based marinades and the chemistry of the use of Coke at various points in meat-based product is well covered in two collections of Prof. Robert Wolke's Washington Post columns:

What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained, W.W. Norton 2002

What Einstein Told His Cook 2, The Sequel: Further Adventures in Kitchen Science, W.W. Norton

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Aug 20, 2014 1:27:02 PM

Please sir, can we boil some Mountain Dew next?

Posted by: Flautist | Aug 19, 2014 9:02:50 PM

This is why Coke makes a great BBQ base.

Posted by: Clifyt | Aug 19, 2014 4:03:29 PM