July 13, 2018
When Blondie met Alexa
Pickle juice is capable of quantum tunneling
You won't find this shattering news in Physical Letters and the usual physics journals.
No, it's an exclusive, brought to you by my Crack Research Team©®, which clearly is capable of far more than not being able to find information I need on the internet.
Here's a summary of their discovery, which I will expand into a formal paper suitable for publication in the not that near future.
• I buy a jar of dill pickles, take a few out, close the top, thoroughly rinse the jar under the kitchen faucet, then place the jar on a shelf in the refrigerator which has previously been wiped down so that it is clean, dry, and free of any previous occupants' residue.
• The next day, I remove the jar from the fridge, and note a ring of moisture under it.
• I place the jar on my kitchen counter for a few seconds, then lift if off the counter.
• There is a ring of moisture on the counter.
• I bend down and smell, then lick the liquid: it's pickle juice.
• Conclusion: the pickle juice has tunneled through the glass bottom of the jar; no other explanation holds brine.
Below, a nice primer on tunneling on the quantum scale; the effect is the functional basis of every solid state electronic device on the planet.
Remember what Richard Feynman said: "No one really understands quantum mechanics."
Jeff Koons Balloon Dog Light
The real thing sold for $58.4 million in 2013: you could look it up.
Why not get in on the ground floor?
From the website:
The Balloon Dog Light is an ambient lamp that makes an adorable addition to any room.
The soft (but durable) silicone mimics the puffy look of the inflated animal it's modeled after.
Instead of being filled with air or helium, the interior has the gentle glow of the colored LED inside.
Squeeze the animal's back left leg to turn the light on and off.
You can also use the sleep timer if you don't want to worry about manually turning it off later; the 30-minute automatic shut-off makes it ideal for a uniquely cute nightlight.
Features and Details
• Sleep timer functionality turns off light after 30 minutes
• Ambient LED lamp modeled after a balloon dog
• Requires 2 AA batteries (not included)
• Squeeze leg to turn on/off
• 8" x 7.5" x 3.75"
• Silicone rubber
Red or Blue: $24.99.