« October 8, 2004 | Main | October 10, 2004 »

October 9, 2004

'What is urgent is not urgent for ever but only ephemerally.' - Iris Murdoch

000712019201lzzzzzzz

More: "All work and all love, the search for wealth and fame, the search for truth, life itself, are made up of moments which pass and become nothing. Yet through this shaft of nothings we drive onwards with that miraculous vitality that creates our precarious habitations in the past and the future."

October 9, 2004 at 09:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Favorite sign of the week

Engrish08202004

The reason it wins is because not only is the message superb, but the aesthetics of the colors - that sort of "dirty pink" along with the black - carry it to the next level.

[via nastystart.org]

October 9, 2004 at 06:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Test Your VOIP

Tn_voiptest

There's no question you're gonna be getting it, it's only a matter of when.

It is time yet?

This cool site will make a VOIP call for you from wherever you are in the states to one of its U.S. test locations (Boston or San Jose).

Don't live in the U.S.?

No problema.

They've just added, for international users, locations in Helsinki, Montreal, and London.

Banner_header

Lots of fun here.

Prepare to deep-six those massive cellphone bills forever.

[via redferret.net]

October 9, 2004 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

How to use bubble wrap

Bubblewrap01262004

Nothing is too small to escape my notice.

FunFact: half of all people are misusing bubble wrap.

The correct way to use bubble wrap is to put the bubbles on the inside.

Otherwise, you're not gonna be happy with the 3-D puzzle you receive in lieu of your Marcel Wanders

Libp1970

Egg Vase.

If you feel the need to further explore the wonders of bubble wrap,

Sa_bubblewrap

by all means, go for it.

October 9, 2004 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

36% of bookofjoe's readers are outside the U.S. as you read this

Server

See (above) for yourself.

I find this an amazing statistic, since when I noodle around online, I rarely find more than 5% of any blog's visitors are from abroad.

I have no idea why I have such a huge foreign base: maybe you, dear readers from everywhere, will tell me.

Let me know what you like, and I'll give you more of it.

Meanwhile, of course, I'm just biding my time, waiting for my entry into China, where I cannot get through the firewall put up by the government.

Give it time.

My time is coming.

October 9, 2004 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

How to prevent the contents of an overstuffed sub from spilling out

Cooksheader1

Remove some of the crumb [that's the culinary "term of art" for the actual bread, as opposed to the crust] from both the top and bottom halves of the bread.

"This creates a trough for the fillings and helps stabilize the sandwich."

From Cook's Illustrated, the only place you can trust when it comes to evaluating things kitchen-related.

Why is that?

Because alone among food-related magazines, it accepts no advertising.

So they never, ever have to trim and fudge to keep their advertisers happy.

My favorites are their exhaustive, detailed product comparisons, in which a $3.99 bottle of spaghetti sauce may well be rated "Best, Highly Recommended," while some fancy-shmancy import costing four times as much is rated "Poor, Not Recommended."

October 9, 2004 at 06:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Insomnia Poems

Shpq8r

Lisa Russ Spaar edited this wonderful anthology, entitled "Acquainted With The Night."

Even if you don't like poetry, and don't have insomnia, the book's worth buying and owning.

Why?

Because it's a masterpiece of design.

The dust jacket is gorgeous, all shades of blue and black; the book itself, a small pocket or pocketbook-sized vade mecum, measures a bit less than 5" x 7".

Beautiful inside as well as out, it's laid out in an exceedingly eye-friendly way.

Spaar - herself an insomniac - decided to make constructive use of her affliction.

Vladimir Nabokov called sleep "the most moronic fraternity in the world, with the heaviest dues and the crudest rituals... a nightly betrayal of reason, humanity, genius."

This book contains a whole slew of poems from authors ancient and modern, famous and obscure, on this eternal problem.

In addition, Spaar's written a superb "Brief Biographies of the Poets" appendix for the book - and I do mean brief: they're generally two sentences long, but most enjoyable for all that.

The book's cover price is $19.95; amazon sells it new for $13.97, and used copies there go for as little as $4.59.

This book represents the highest and best use of your $5 you're gonna find today.
___________________

Insomnia - by Elizabeth Bishop

The moon in the bureau mirror
looks out a million miles
(and perhaps with pride, at herself,
but she never, never smiles)
far and away beyond sleep, or
perhaps she's a daytime sleeper.

By the Universe deserted,
she'd tell it to go to hell,
and she'd find a body of water,
or a mirror, on which to dwell.
So wrap up care in a cobweb
and drop it down the well

into that world inverted
where left is always right,
where the shadows are really the body,
where we stay awake all night,
where the heavens are shallow as the sea
is now deep, and you love me.

October 9, 2004 at 03:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Q. 'How much of a 99-cent iTunes download do I get to keep?' - Recording artist

Itunes

A. "10 cents."

This sobering Q & A comes from the National Association of Record Industry Professionals (NARIP) iTunes Artist-Producer Royalty Calculation sheet.

More: "For major label artists, Apple collects 34 cents and the label keeps 55 cents."

Wow.

Some things never change.

Header2_1

That acronym - "na-RIP" - is perfect.

[via redferret.net]