« October 15, 2004 | Main | October 17, 2004 »

October 16, 2004

Tommy Lee is a Nebraska Cornhusker

41660af322d56861

I thought it was a joke when I saw it in this morning's Washington Post, but I was wrong: it's for real.

Tommy Lee, ex-Motley Crue bad boy/Pam Anderson husband,

Andersonpamgal2010904

has matriculated at the University of Nebraska.

This coming Monday, he's trying out for the marching band.

Gonna be some serious partying goin' on in Lincoln, not that there isn't already; I mean, there's not a whole lot else to do after the game's over.

I wonder if there's a frat clever enough to recruit him; awfully compelling "wingman," what?

Maybe this won't help elevate Nebraska in U.S. News & World Report's annual college rankings as much as would recruiting a Nobel Prize winner, but it can't hurt in Playboy's.

J0806l

Go Big Red!

October 16, 2004 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

We get email: 'I would appreciate a piece in bookofjoe on pens'

P_g27blk

Ask, and you shall receive.

The nice thing about having only six regular readers is that you can do whatever they ask of you.

FA wrote on October 7:
__________________

Being in the health care industry, I am always on the lookout for new, interesting writing instruments. [I don't quite understand the linkage, but no matter...]

Recently, the powers-that-be requested that physicians and physicians' assistants chart in blue ink to differentiate our scratch from the nurses. [When that chart is subpoenaed for a lawsuit, that blue ink's not gonna be of much use... but I digress]

Well, I have a stash of black pens, but I am now on the lookout for new blue pens.

I would appreciate a piece in bookofjoe if you are so inclined with your musings on ballpoints and rollerballs.

Please include your faves.
__________________

FA, your wish is my command.

My current writing instrument of choice is the Pilot G-2 07 fine point, in black (above).

It also comes with an extra-fine point: that would be model number G-2 05.

For editing, I use this

P_g27red

red iteration of the G-2 07.

It's a retractable gel rollerball and it's smooth as silk, besides being ergonomically ideal and funky looking.

And that teched-up model number, printed right on the clip, makes it all the better.

Costs $1.98 here, and you can buy 'em at supermarkets, drugstores, everywhere disposable pens are sold.

I suppose you could go the refill route, since refills are available, but that seems like a "work hard, not smart" type of thing to me: for sure, when you want to buy a refill, you won't be able to find one.

Best of all, dear reader FA, they also come in

P_g27blue

blue, so you can meet your employer's requirement without missing a beat.

And if your company gets seriously wild, there's also

P_g27grn

green for St. Patrick's Day and Irish people and the envious, and

P_g27purp

purple.

I bet if you sent a purple one to

B000002l6801lzzzzzzz

Prince and asked nicely, he'd send you a personalized autograph. But I digress.

As for other writing implements, I like this

21373105913ww

Twin-tip Sharpie marker a lot, for stuff where a rollerball won't do the trick, like on tape.

Very elegantly designed, with each end's cap ingeniously fitting on the other capped end.

The two point thicknesses - fine and regular - in one implement are very handy.

Costs $1.69 here, and comes in Aqua, Berry, Black, Blue, Green, Lime, Orange, Purple, Red, and Turquoise.

Very hard to find in stores, even Staples and Office Depot don't seem to stock them.

October 16, 2004 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Solo Traveler Plus Lid - World's most elegant disposable cup lid

Tplus_cuphand

I first encountered this beautiful piece of industrial design last week, at some gas station convenience store.

I was instantly fascinated, and spent a few minutes by the coffee area playing with one.

Very ingenious.

The device consists of two interlocked pieces of lightweight plastic.

The lid is securely reclosable because of its unique swiveling design that easily lets you shut the opening completely, over and over and over without weakening the feature since there's no hinge to break.

Bonus: the opening takes a straw perfectly, and then swivels just enough to close the opening perfectly around the circular straw profile.

I went to the Solo website, where I found that this great product made its debut in May, 2003.

I guess it takes a while for stuff to happen.

I mean, bookofjoe only began in April of 2003, and it still hasn't happened.

Has it?

October 16, 2004 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Denver Research Group: 'Google with Judgment'

Pattern_recognition

So wrote David Ignatius in his Op-Ed piece in the October 5 Washington Post.

His subject was the Denver Research Group, a consulting company with a huge database that monitors more than 7,000 sources on a constant, real-time basis, then predicts what political trends will surface world-wide in the next several weeks.

The company sells its results for exorbitant amounts of money to many Fortune 500 companies, and tries to keep a low profile.

Huh.

What I see here is another version of Faith Popcorn's pseudo-scientific BrainReserve.

William Gibson showed, in his latest - and I think most readable and best - novel, "Pattern Recognition," that it's much cheaper to pay one person to do this kind of future forecasting stuff.

His story centers around one Cayce Pollard, "coolhunter extraordinaire."

I've believed since college that by the time something appears on the cover of Business Week, Fortune, Time, or Newsweek, heralded as the "next big thing," the smart money has already been there and left quietly with huge profits, leaving a few crumbs behind for us, "the great unwashed."

So I have an even better offer for you: save your money and read bookofjoe.

It's so far ahead of the curve, I've already done a full 360º and am barking up my own butt.

Ha.

October 16, 2004 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BPL [Broadband over Power Lines] is here

Powerline

So why am I not excited by this new technology?

After years of lobbying by the electric power industry, the F.C.C. approved it this past Thursday.

Who wouldn't want technology which lets you plug a modem into any electrical outlet in your house and have high-speed internet,

Newnetsurferpic

without having to do anything else?

Me, that's who.

Because WiMax makes it instantly obsolete, is why.

What's WiMax?

It's WiFi on steroids; WiMax signals travel miles instead of feet.

Relatively few WiMax base stations provide super-fast internet

Speed

(speeds 50-100 faster than most current high-speed connections) over large areas with

Surfboardlaptop

no electrical outlets, no modems to plug in, no wires, no nothing, as long as your computer has a WiMax card.

Trust me, it will.

And if you can't trust me, who can you trust?

After all - I'm your doctor.

October 16, 2004 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Only Bagg - 'The only bagg you'll ever need!'

Onr207

So says the website.

It's a 10" x 15.5" x 7.5"-deep shoulder bag with:

• large center compartment with three zippered interior pockets, cellphone holder, key fob, and ID pouch

• center compartment has double zippers so it can be locked

• two large exterior snap pockets, each with two interior zippered pouches and a mesh bottle holder

• additional detachable cellphone holder

• double shoulder straps for comfort

It weighs only 1.25 pounds because it's made from lightweight rip-stop nylon.

It costs $44.96 and comes in eight color combinations: Turquoise/Lime, Black/Khaki, Lime/Periwinkle, Orange/Pink, Periwinkle/Lime, Pink/Orange, Purple/Lime, and Red/Lime.

Uncertain?

Well, this'll make you even more befuddled: the bag also comes in a slightly more expensive ($53.96) version (below),

Onc215

made of crinkle nylon.

All the same features, in Plum, Spice, Steel Blue, Black, Dark Olive, or Khaki.

October 16, 2004 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: Does finger length predict your future health?

Fing

Your hands reveal many things about you.

Among them: fertility, sexual preference, likelihood of a heart attack or breast cancer, musical ability, handedness, the presence of autism or dyslexia, and much, much more.

Alison Motluk wrote a very interesting article for the June 24, 2000 New Scientist about such things.

October 16, 2004 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

elsewares.com

Ben_003_n

"Shop outside the box," says the website.

Many interesting, clever items I've never seen before.

They must've looked at an awful lot of frogs to have come up with this many princes.

The Mutant Vase (above),

the iconic

Nyc_001_lg1

New York City coffee mug,

a clever key

Suk_001_lg2

that's actually a

Suk_001_lg1

bottle-opener (be careful, that bowtie is really a camera...),

bowls made of colorful industrial-size/strength

El_001_lg1