« Voxel Man | Home | Swiss Army Gloves, Groomba, MiVo, and Beau-toxe - essentials for the year 2020? »

January 2, 2005

Java-Log - 'Perk up your fire with coffee!'

P501045b

That's how the description of this product begins on the website.

Why is it that I was instantly uninterested in trying this item out?

What a drippy idea.

It's a fake fireplace log infused with coffee grounds.

Now, logically you'd think it's a great concept: I mean, minds far greater than mine did, apparently.

This amazing log was praised in Time Magazine as "one of the coolest inventions of the year."

It was also highlighted on "The Today Show" and "Ellen."

High praise indeed.

You get six logs, each of which lasts up to three hours, for $29.95.

I don't know, call me old-fashioned or a Luddite, whatever, but I much prefer to have my coffee in my cup and my fire in my fireplace.

I mean, you could trick out those stainless steel fireplace logs, I suppose, to brew coffee.

But I wouldn't.

January 2, 2005 at 06:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Java-Log - 'Perk up your fire with coffee!':

Comments

Thought these would smell different than the regular fake logs, hopefully, a little like a pot of coffee brewing. NOT. They smell just the same as all the other fake logs. WE DO NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL!! Tossing out the entire box.
Disappointed,
Mary Ann

Posted by: Mary Ann Barone | Oct 18, 2007 11:07:32 AM

Come on, I like when the provincial thoughts are burned away and we can fight the fuel prices and reuse our caffinated waste for heat. I know of many java hauses that chuck the grounds and may now be persuaded to be more creative.

Posted by: michael | Apr 7, 2006 12:16:56 AM

I bought a case at Target and love them. They burn brighter and hotter than other fire logs. I didn't find them to smell of anything at all and the ash left over was more like a granule and easier to clean up. I went back to Target to get more and they had clearanced them out after the holidays. Now I have to wait until next year to get more. I wish someone would carry seasonal items a little longer, especially since we are having another cold front in the middle of February and a fire tonight would be great!

Posted by: lisa | Feb 18, 2005 7:46:03 PM

I bought a case of six java logs at whole foods (no shipping fees, so much cheaper) and loved them. Each lasts for two or three hours, burns a very bright flame, and doesn't smell like anything - coffee or otherwise. They're better than those fake stinky logs and are really easy to light. Plus, it's made from recycled coffee grounds, so it's not like I'm wasting good wood just for my own pleasure. And, when I go to clean out my fireplace, I've found that they don't leave a lot of ash. So... make fun of it if you like, but I think it's a great new product. Esp for someone like me who lives in a third floor walk up and would rather not be hauling tons of wood up the stairs all the time.

Posted by: Beba | Jan 30, 2005 12:26:04 PM

Hey Joe,
I saw this thing at a Target. It does not in fact purport to smell like coffee on its package. It is simply made out of pressure-casted, used coffee grounds.
The package pushes the fact that it burns longer and cleaner than other fake, non-wood fireplace logs.
I still don't buy it. Who knows, maybe when I've finished stripping the suburban rainforest that is my backyard, I'll need to look to this as an option.
At least this "log" gives coffee some allure beyond just the smell. Peace.

Posted by: buki | Jan 3, 2005 8:37:56 PM

"Starbucks roasting on an open fire..." I guess we'll have to re-write some holiday classics with inventions like this!

Posted by: Steve | Jan 3, 2005 12:18:33 PM

Coffee creates one heck of a stink when burned...
Nothing 'cool' about that scent lingering in the air. Coupled with a chemical log, well, that's definitely going to be a real party favor. And it was featured on Airhead De Genderass Show? Well, that definitely makes it something to be avoided. Keep up the great work Joe, you're still The Best Site on The Internet:)

Posted by: Robin | Jan 3, 2005 11:56:30 AM