« Anya Gallaccio - 'The Look of Things' | Home | Star-nosed mole - World's fastest-eating mammal »

February 4, 2005

Raytek MT4U MiniTemp No-Contact Thermometer with Laser Sighting


I was looking earlier today for a no-contact thermometer for the kitchen.

My quest started when I was ready to work with a free sample of ShapeLock that arrived a while back.


The instructions said to heat water containing the ShapeLock pellets to 150°.


But what if you don't cook much beyond your microwave, and don't have a kitchen thermometer?

I used to have a meat thermometer but that disappeared and anyway I don't think it's meant to measure how hot a pot of water is.

So I went all over the virtual place, Kitchen.com and Cooks.com and suchlike, but could not find a no-touch thermometer.


Then the UPS guy arrived with my Knipex Cobra pliers.


Wow, are they beautiful. But I digress.

I looked through the catalog from Tooltopia that came with the pliers and lo and behold, there on page 73 were not one but seven no-contact infrared thermometers, ranging in price from $57.33 to $313.18.

Talk about finding the mother lode.

The catalog's aimed at people in the automotive repair business: these thermometers are used by auto technicians to measure the temperature of engine blocks and suchlike.

That's why the most expensive one goes up to 1100°F.

I got news: if things in my kitchen get that hot, I'll be long since outa there.


I settled on the spiffy Raytek ($71.84) pictured at the beginning of this post.

It's got a backlit display in Celsius or Fahrenheit, measures from 0° to 500°F (18°–260°C), and has a laser pointer to show just where it's measuring.

Way cool.

Or hot.


Once it arrives I'll get down to some serious ShapeLock experimentation.

February 4, 2005 at 01:01 PM | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Raytek MT4U MiniTemp No-Contact Thermometer with Laser Sighting:


Will be interesting to see if it works measuring the temprature of water, since these work by measuring the radiated IR energy from an object. Couldn't find any reference to using them to measure water.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 4, 2005 2:09:29 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.