« BroadbandReports.com | Home | R. Crumb Look–Alike Contest »

April 17, 2005

World's most expensive rims — $250,000 a set

Good

Pictured above, they're hand-made by Lexani.

The wheels are designed to fit the Rolls-Royce Phantom (sticker price $332,750 — but they'll negotiate).

Lexani sells to customers such as the rapper Rakim and Portland Trail Blazers forward Darius Miles.

At first the company considered using diamonds to completely bejewel the wheels, but calculated that such a design choice would push the retail price above $2 million — a bit steep even for its moneyed customers.

So Lexani did what so many do who can't afford the real thing: they opted for cubic zirconia.

Each of the five spokes in each wheel is adorned by a jeweler with 21 princess-cut zirconia stones.

Each stone is screwed into place from the back of the wheel; as the nut is tightened, tiny ring mounts clasp the stones.

Mmm

So far only one (undisclosed) customer has purchased a set.

Brendan I. Koerner wrote about the bespoke rims in today's New York Times.

April 17, 2005 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference World's most expensive rims — $250,000 a set:

» Rookie Rankings - Still No. 1 from Paul has completed
Paul has completed an unprecendented run atop NBA.com's Rookie Rankings. [Read More]

Tracked on May 23, 2006 10:28:52 AM

» From TweakXP comes FireTune from XP utility TweakXP,
one little freeware applet, making it easier than digging though about:config. It's freeware, so we're not getting a kickback here, but [Read More]

Tracked on May 28, 2006 8:21:04 AM

» Wizards' Defensive Changes Befuddle LeBron from switched from
Game 1 plan of consistent double teams. James will get another opportunity on Friday night [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2006 12:18:52 AM

» Error reports for version 3.5 from stop sending
3.5 I still have the problem. I cannot have it work anymore. I could reproduce that, [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2006 12:15:06 AM

» Wilbon: It's All About Wade from He's humble enough
can have any pick on the playground . . . anybody from here to China. Just let me have Dwyane [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 18, 2006 1:05:00 AM

» Jazz Introduce Derek Fisher from Fisher to the
media today at the Zions Bank Basketball Center. Fisher was acquired in a trade with Golden State on July 12, 2006 in exchange for Devin Brown, [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 7, 2006 4:36:39 PM

Comments

please send me one of each set of rims and all of youer stuff call 704 300 6812 i want a hook up i can pay money . i can hook you up with money

Posted by: chris humphries | Oct 29, 2009 11:53:57 AM

Mother of Lord!!!!!!!

Posted by: Braydon | Sep 8, 2009 3:18:55 AM

"we coined the term "playa hater" so we know whats up"

That the rest of the world thinks that you are drug dealers with more money than brains? That the rest of the world would rather buy nice car for the $250k then drive a car that was less expesive than the rims?

Posted by: DS | Oct 28, 2008 6:04:22 AM

I got these a couple months back and than i sold them for 2.5 million

Posted by: Rick james | Oct 27, 2008 12:53:28 PM

Most people are hatin on these wheels!!! I dont care... Im reppin the bay area; we coined the term "playa hater" so we know whats up. If you got it like that, gon and floss that sh!t. Ball til U Fall... no shame in yo game... props to whoever can afford to put these wheels where they belong... ON THE $TREET$

Posted by: We$ Geezey | May 15, 2007 5:44:08 PM

thats just...just beatiful it's worth the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so get it!!!!

Posted by: Kevin | Jan 25, 2007 11:22:07 PM

dude diamonds thats freakin insanity but 250 thousand is too much

Posted by: joshcook1987 | Aug 4, 2006 4:10:12 PM

can i get two sets? for drifting!!!! hahahahahehehehehahahahahhhh

Posted by: stote | Jul 31, 2006 2:55:15 AM

this is something unique.perfect rims. absolutely love 'em

Posted by: Alexa | May 2, 2006 5:02:59 AM

I got a set of these on a 06 Range Rover, these are the best looking rims ive ever had.you got to get a set

Posted by: John G | Apr 25, 2006 1:10:39 PM

The rims are actually 250,000 each and when you buy a set you get a free bentley and master p is the person that bought a pair.
January issue truckin and minitruckin

Posted by: phillip | Mar 25, 2006 12:07:46 AM

those rims suck, i got nicer ones.

Posted by: chad | Mar 22, 2006 2:05:13 PM

F@$K. Si necesito esas ruedas, tendré que hacer que mi muchacha Cynthia vende su cuerpo sobre millón de veces así que ella puede conseguirme esas ruedas y entonces puedo conseguir a muchachas más atractivas pues ella estará como ancho y soltará para almacenar mis ruedas durante la estación del invierno en Jersey.

Posted by: Costa Atractivo Rican/Jose | Mar 17, 2006 3:43:40 PM

Holy Shit...Yes, these rims are expensive but honestly for the money, even with diamonds, they don't look that hot. They would not turn your eyes if you didn't know it had diamonds on them. Lexani... KMC and Giovanna rims Bling better even without diamonds, but hey; the real diamond is the one driving the car in my eyes.

Posted by: C | Mar 17, 2006 3:21:28 PM

Zircon thats cut glass wats more expensive than cut glass. Bloody fool an his money bling bling soon broke, clean that break dust before it etches them zircons. R4000ather have a nitro methan nitros oxide blowen bigblock and 22 inchs on the ground in each corner in me new phantom drag rail car with change for fuel parachute pitcrew and pizza

Posted by: mr blockage | Feb 24, 2006 6:30:43 PM

How time flies when you're having fun (doing something close to nothing but different than the day before). These are no longer the most expensive rims. Asanti has come out with $1 million rims. (But they do throw a Bentley GT in for free if you can afford the rims.)

Posted by: Shawn Lea | Feb 15, 2006 4:36:13 PM

So basically i only have to sell myself for sex like 90,000 more times before i can have a set...

Posted by: RUceriOus | Feb 15, 2006 10:03:14 AM

Hey I just want to put it out there, for a rim to cost a quarter of a mil. Something has to be real, if not don't even attempt putting fake stuff on their. It's wack, and who ever bought a pair was out of their got damm mind. Thats why their name isn't posted whoever bought it, because they know it was a lousy investment. Come on be real.

Posted by: Ms. Lady | Feb 9, 2006 11:51:17 AM

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN THESE WANGSTA **** {my mom hizzy dont let me curse} [IAM 34] So i was on this website an pueblo my homey :) was like o dang. Then my bro pamala came and was like snipp e do da yeep pit yea aaaaaaaaaaaaa my my wut a wonderful set of rims. So My mom carlos was like i wwant then gangsta rims on my crystler mini van. ( its pink and currently has wind spinners 2 fell off).

Posted by: bob marley | Nov 10, 2005 9:44:57 PM

thoes dont cost that much

Posted by: bob | Nov 10, 2005 1:32:16 PM

hey ... noone would steal them ... if u purchase those rims lexani pays a bodygaurd to stand by y0our car wherever u park for a year ... at no cost to you ......

Posted by: B Tramm | Nov 7, 2005 3:02:03 PM

they would look good on my geo storm.

Posted by: brandon | Oct 13, 2005 11:41:45 PM

Gee, do you think Jesus will let me have my very own particle accelerator? Or do I have to settle for tacky crap like jewel encrusted hubcaps?

Posted by: ScienceChic | Sep 18, 2005 12:14:04 AM

this is stupid to have because somebody is just gonna jack them off of your car
plus if you want to be rich to you have to belive in jesus christ and one day you will get to heaven and you will have all the riches there

Posted by: hoamy69 | Sep 17, 2005 6:16:25 PM

All I can say is that my wife will never get a set of those. She kisses the curb way too often. man stay away from the with those babies.

Posted by: kurt | Sep 16, 2005 4:26:58 PM

zircon?

Posted by: sdhgfjlk | Aug 24, 2005 2:35:57 AM

Ostentatious. Nouveau riche. Tacky.

Posted by: ScienceChic | Aug 22, 2005 12:16:42 AM