« July 13, 2005 | Main | July 15, 2005 »

July 14, 2005

BehindTheMedspeak: Lorenzo's Oil Works

A study published this past Monday in the July issue of the Archives of Neurology shows that Lorenzo's Oil, created by the father of young Lorenzo Odone, works.

The paper, by Hugo Moser and colleagues at Johns Hopkins University's Kennedy Krieger Institute, showed that boys with adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) and no neurological symptoms who subsequently were given Lorenzo's Oil were less likely to develop the disease's more devastating symptoms.

The authors of the study now recommend that all boys with ALD receive Lorenzo's Oil upon diagnosis.

In an accompanying editorial, Raymond Ferri and Phillip Chance of the University of Washington wrote that the "remarkable" study "may establish new standards for the treatment of this degenerative disorder."

Lorenzo himself is now 27, far older than the average life expectancy of boys with the childhood form of ALD he suffered from.

He lives with his now 72–year-old father Augusto in Northern Virginia.

The Oscar–nominated film "Lorenzo's Oil," starring Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon, appeared in 1992.

July 14, 2005 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

KwikTop Combination Bottle Lock

Asdrew

Following on the heels of Ben & Jerry's sort–of tongue–in–cheek ice cream pint lock, KwikTop now brings us a handy device (above) to keep other people's mouths off our bottles.

No more looking in the fridge or liquor cabinet and swearing there was more the last time you checked.

"KwikTop is a small, reusable, inexpensive and user–friendly bottle locking device."

Kwikto1

Integrated combination–lock keeps your fluids impregnable.

Don't even think about going there.

They've created two models: one for plastic bottles that fits standard water and soda bottles and a second for glass screw–top alcohol bottles.

But wait — there's more.

You can personalize your bottle lock by inserting a photo, picture or other identification under the clear top window (below).

Sdfghjhj

So cool!

They are going to sell zillions.

Where can I buy one — or ten?

[via AW]

July 14, 2005 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

RunningBarefoot.org

Runningbarefeet_1

When I happened on this website I was sure it was some sort of Trojan Horse for Nike and its new Nike Free shoe, which attempts to get as close as you can to running barefoot while wearing a shoe.

But no — Ken Bob Saxton started runningbarefoot.org in 1997, while Nike was busy tricking out its shoes with air and shock absorbers and computers and God knows what else.

It's a fascinating site by an interesting guy, from which anyone who's interested in running can benefit, whether or not you plan to lose your shoes.

Ken Bob Saxton is simply a man who was a century early; the world is now catching up with him.

July 14, 2005 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

World's Longest Pie Chain

The meaning of the word "piehole" has been investigated by some of my more didactically–inclined readers and even one member of my crack research team in what little spare time she's allowed but that's not what this post is about.

Neither the word nor her dearth of spare time.

Besides, all she'd do with it is mess up so it's better I keep her off the streets.

No, today I turn my attention to a very formidable piece of heavy metal baking gear.

If you don't know what a pie chain is, well, you won't ever be able to say that again.

And admit it: isn't that why you're here?

To learn about pie chains and suchlike?

Good.

Now that we've established the reason for your presence here when you should be doing something else — close to nothing, in the long run, it's true, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do — let's get on with it, shall we?

Because we don't have all day.

Well, let me clarify: I do but, sadly, you don't.

OK, then.

"A pie chain weights your unfilled crust as it blind–bakes."

See: I knew there was a reason I've been keeping "Tommy" on endless replay.

The 10–foot–long chain covers 66% more crust than those of competitors, according to the paper catalogue where I first encountered this device.

"Forget the beans and rice, this chain is much easier to use."

$15.95 here.

Perfect for those club nights when you're in your Goth mood and want to add a little pizzazz to spice up your look and your destination isn't quite the venue for diamonds–by–the–yard.

Exit_3

You know the place.

July 14, 2005 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Does Dick Morris read bookofjoe?

A_6_2

You can see why I ask the question above when you read, as I did earlier today, in the July 4 issue of the New Yorker, that Morris's new book, "Condi vs. Hillary: The Next Great Presidential Race," will be published by Regan Books this coming October.

I mean, it was only four months ago, this past March 13, in fact, that I posted "The making of the President — Version 2008," in this very space.

See for yourself here.

It must be humbling, being cast out by the Clintons only to find yourself grubbing for crumbs at bookofjoe.

K_2_2

Hey, Dick — it could be worse: you could be a member of my crack research team.

July 14, 2005 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

I'm sorry... I found someone better

Wer

The headline of this post is just one of the rather acid sentiments offered in the array of cards sold by Cardjackers.

Asdewq_1

All sorts of dyspeptic sentiments are for sale for a reasonable price.

Some are funny, some are not.

Uuuuuu

But that's no different than people, if you stop to think about it.

July 14, 2005 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Baby Cie Farm Suction Bowl

Xcvb

Finally.

You know how every so often on a particularly bad day the little one turns up her or his nose at your carefully prepared organic veggies and dumps them and the bowl and spoon on the floor?

I hate to admit it but I've got friends who do the same thing.

On good days. But I digress.

It's a long way down from the high chair and the scatter pattern isn't very pretty, is it?

Never again if you've got one of these tricked–out rice bowls.

"This bowl has a removable suction bottom!"

Sure, the text is written in French but unless you're one of those whacked–out parents who's already started in with the language lessons (oops — so sorry about that), it won't matter a whole heck of a lot.

Nice crayon drawings of a chicken, flowers, cat and a chick.

Made from break–proof Melamine (remind me to tell you sometime about what happened when I tested someone's "break–proof" Melamine — it wasn't pretty, let me just say that for now).

Dishwasher safe.

5" diameter, 2" tall.

$10.79 here.

July 14, 2005 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Chairella™

Dddd

I think it's time for naming school for whoever came up with this one.

Ah, well, a rose by any other name would still be a rose and chair (above) that's also an umbrella and a cane is just that.

Memo to whoever's marketing this: you'll sell a lot more of them if you lose the "It's a cane" beginning for the bold face headline on your website.

But enough of the negative: we're here to talk about all that's good in the world, not throw stones.

There's a whole planet full of people who are more than glad to handle that aspect of things.

So.

"Clever umbrella clamps to seat handle and its flexible arm lets you position it right where it does the most good."

Don't go there.

"Unique double canopy keeps it from turning inside out — letting wind through while keeping rain and sun out."

"An instant seat for a break from walking!"

Huh — wonder if it would work on my treadmill....

"Perfect for golf, bird watching, fairs and flea markets."

Well.

"Ideal for spectator events like parades, open–air concerts, air shows and sports contests where you could be standing a long time."

Tell us more.

"Durable aluminum legs make it easy to carry and adjustable height makes it a great cane for walking support."

See, now that's where you throw in the cane part.

"Fold it open for a comfortable padded seat that holds up to 325 lbs."

That's pretty impressive, I gotta say.

"Clamps to golf carts, shopping carts, walkers and wheel chairs, too."

Folds down (below) for easy carrying.

P47442_2ff

Seat height adjusts from 18" to 26" high.

$74.98 here.