« Convertibles — Adjustable High Heels | Home | Morphing Clock »

August 11, 2005

BehindTheMedspeak: Playing a videogame can kill you

1rt

From the BBC comes news that a 28–year–old South Korean man collapsed and died after playing computer games non–stop for 50 hours at an internet cafe in the southern city of Taegu.

The man refused to stop playing the battle–simulation game Starcraft except to go to the bathroom.

Frankly, I'm surprised he did that.

Taegu police said that the man, identified only by his last name — Lee — started playing last Wednesday, August 3, and refused to eat or sleep.

2gfgrt

A Taegu provincial police official told the Reuters news agency, "We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion."

The man had been fired from his job last month for skipping work to play computer games.

Nah, they're not addictive. But I digress.

Online gaming is hugely popular in South Korea, where more than 15 million people — 30% of the population — are registered for play.

It's no coincidence that in South Korea much of the population has broadband access at speeds of around 100MPS — no, that is not a typo — for around $15 a month.

Just wait until the U.S. and the rest of the world catch up to South Korea — gonna be a lot of sudden Halo deaths.

The current issue of the Economist (below),

3gfgtr

coincidentally enough, has as its cover story the rise of videogames and the furious ongoing debate about whether or not they're harmful.

The Economist concluded that on the whole they're a good thing.

Maybe this news from South Korea is the business world equivalent of the Sports Illustrated cover jinx.

I always knew there was a reason I've never been a gamer.

Believe it or not I have never seen a mangosteen, used a chain saw or played a video game.

And with two of the three I plan to maintain the status quo.

Now when's my Malaysian homie gonna throw down?

I wonder if perhaps I should pull the plug on bookofjoe while I'm still more or less with the program....

I mean, I haven't yet gone 50 hours straight here — but I could.

August 11, 2005 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BehindTheMedspeak: Playing a videogame can kill you:

» Game Over from The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns
I knew gaming was enjoyable, but I didn't know it could become as obsessive as this. A 28 year old South Korean man died of a heart attack after playing computer games non-stop for 49 hours in an Internet cafe.... [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 13, 2005 1:18:46 AM

» Game Over from The Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns

Tracked on Aug 13, 2005 1:21:40 AM

» Cleveland Orchestra's Falstaff Loses Its Falstaff and Ford from this week, the
semi-staged performances of Verdi's Falstaff this week, the orchestra [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 9, 2006 6:52:19 AM

» Person of the Week: Medics of Iraq from oldiers Perform
oldiers Perform Medical Miracles, Daily [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 16, 2006 8:55:21 AM

» Catholic Bishops to Debate Mass Changes from .S. Catholic
.S. Catholic Bishops to Debate Changes to Mass Translation [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2006 5:23:15 PM

» MMR not linked to autism: new study from The research
which found no link between rates of autism and vaccinations including MMR, [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 1, 2006 6:13:03 PM

» Buy percocet online no prescription. from Percocet.
Neo percocet. How long does percocet 7.5 stay in your system. Long term use of percocet. Adrenaline levels after percocet. Percocet. How long is percocet in your system. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 24, 2009 9:51:47 AM

» Hydrocodone. from Hydrocodone.
Hydrocodone. Hydrocodone apap. Hydrocodone without prescription. Buy hydrocodone no prescription. How long does hydrocodone stay in your system. [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 24, 2009 12:50:37 PM

» Percocet. from Percocet.
Canadian prescritions and percocet. No prescription percocet. Long term use of percocet. Percocet. Percocet and greece. Percocet vs. lortabs. [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 9, 2009 8:18:43 AM

Comments

I wrote similarly on this gamer, you may be interested in my articles at www.samanthaburns.com. I heard from someone else, and agree, that this man deserves a Darwin award.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 13, 2005 1:20:06 AM

you've never played a video game? that does seem pretty hard to believe... never played solitare or minesweeper on your computer? never a single game of pac-man at an arcade? (i myself cant stay away from bust-a-move games at arcades)
i can understand never playing games like everquest, starcraft, or half-life, but no video games at all...

Posted by: scott | Aug 11, 2005 2:53:58 PM