« BehindTheMedspeak: Being a pilot triples your risk of cataract | Home | bookofjoe chosen as 'Desert Island Blog' »

August 10, 2005

OXO Mango Splitter

Uiyg

Finally.

I will say that I love mangoes but no longer buy them because it's just too much effort getting the fruit off the seed without cutting myself to shreds in the process.

That darn seed is mightly slippery when the juice is running down your hands and fingers.

There are those who believe the mango is the world's most delicious fruit.

Yes, I know that R.W. Apple of the New York Times declared the mangosteen to be the apotheosis of fruit but I cannot speak of mangosteens since I have never tasted or even seen one except in a picture.

It is illegal to import them into the U.S. because they can be infested with the dreaded Mediterranean fruit fly.

Anyway, I will say this: I have never eaten anything more delicious than freshly picked mangoes, purchased and consumed on small, twisty roads in the Jamaican countryside.

And don't get me started about the delectable wood–roasted fresh corn also for sale by the roadside... mamma mia.

From the OXO website:

One simple press removes the seed and cuts the fruit in half.

The Mango Splitter slices cleanly through the fruit and leaves almost nothing behind on the seed.

Soft grips cushion while you press and the stainless steel blades are sharp and sturdy.

I'm outa here and over to get one.

Iuygg

$11.99 at the OXO website.

[via ohgizmo]

August 10, 2005 at 03:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference OXO Mango Splitter:

» Refinery Spending May Cut Into Gas Price from investment in
investment in oil refineries could cut global fuel prices, expert says [Read More]

Tracked on May 31, 2006 12:08:48 AM

» Governor to send troops to border from about 1,000 California
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today announced that he has reached an agreement with federal officials to send about 1,000 [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 5, 2006 6:30:42 AM

» Chinese Phase I Clinical Trial Of HIV Vaccine Concluded from the vaccine Xinhua/People's
Daily reports (Xinhua/People's Daily, 6/11). [click link for full article] [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 18, 2006 4:09:23 AM

» Greece Suspended by FIFA from Committee, composed
football (international and club level) following government interference into the running of the game. A statement [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 8, 2006 4:09:42 PM

Comments

I have been using the OXO Mango Splitter for eight months. It is wonderful. It does exactly what ad says. It takes ALL the trouble out of removing the seed. Once it is gone, peeling the rest is a breeze. Fresh mangoes, ummm good!

Posted by: PrinceHal | May 2, 2006 4:22:35 PM

I've bought frozen mangosteen in NY (and Boston). Mind you, frozen isn't all that great, but it's possible to buy mangosteen in the US.

Posted by: dds | Apr 6, 2006 8:49:18 AM

WHAT?! You've never had a mangosteen?!

You poor poor boy. It's imperative you immediately fly to Malaysia. I'll hook you up.

I don't know about the mango cutter. The seeds of mangos I've seen are bigger than what they provide for here...

Ever tried indian mangos? Now those are a little touch of hot, dusty summer.

Posted by: IB | Aug 11, 2005 10:07:59 AM