« 'Frederick Carder: Glass, Passion, Invention' | Home | BehindTheMedspeak: Tanorexia »

August 30, 2005

P_ubsb18z08

It's the UniBall Signo Bit 0.18mm pen from Mitsubishi.

There's a pen war on Japan, in case you didn't know, to produce the pen with the finest point.

Pilot came out with one having a ball diameter of 0.3mm in 1994.

Now comes this new player with a point twice the width of a human hair.

The pen required the invention of a special friction–reducing ink.

Olijm

They cost $25 for a set of all eight colors here.

[via Tony McNicol and Wired magazine]

August 30, 2005 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference World's Finest–Writing Ball Point Pen — 'The tip is so small you can write words on a grain of rice':

» For designers who love tiny type from Open House
The world’s finest-point pen. The tip is nearly as thin as a human hair!... [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 31, 2005 2:47:59 PM

» .18mm Pens from TeamDroid
I have got to get a set of these. My wife uses the 0.3mm pens when she writes letters and I occasionally borrow them fro myself. Its great, you can write as small as you like and still read it. The 0.18mm pens will be amazing, and yes I'm going to... [Read More]

Tracked on Sep 6, 2005 12:06:13 AM

» links for 2005-11-02 from Full Speed
World's Finest–Writing Ball Point Pen 0.18mm tip! (tags: pens tools writing) SuperScan 4.0 "Powerful TCP port scanner, pinger, resolver." (tags: networking tools utilities tcpip)... [Read More]

Tracked on Nov 2, 2005 3:50:58 PM

» For designers who love tiny type from Open House
The worlds finest-point pen. The tip is nearly as thin as a human hair!... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 6, 2006 11:00:51 AM

» Parlano Names Jeff Schultz Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing from ndustry Veteran
ndustry Veteran Joins Leader in Persistent Group Messaging Solutions [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 7, 2006 3:33:36 AM

» Survey: College Kids Like IPods Better Than Beer from students surveyed
of undergraduate students surveyed said iPods were 'in,' surpassing beer drinking in latest survey by Student Monitor. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 15, 2006 9:34:24 AM

» Needed: 10,000 Wiccan Teachers by 2008 from months, Witch
(PRWEB Jun 15, 2006) Trackback URI: http://www.prweb.com/zingpr.php/U3VtbS1TaW5nLUluc2UtU2luZy1JbnNlLVplcm8= [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2006 5:30:33 PM

» Shore Communications: Personal Knowledge Management Empowers Today's User-Publishers from management and
and rapidly implemented structure to get communities of peers surfacing answers and collective insights for critical [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 7, 2006 5:14:07 PM

» Bush Designates USA Today "Small Business" from Bush administration
including media giants USA Today and the Associated Press, as small businesses,... [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 14, 2006 11:22:56 AM

Comments

I just bought a 3-pack on ebay for $3.50 (+$4 ship.). It seems there are a few lingering offers for them. I actually bought mine from a random japanese woman who must have picked up on our desire to get our hands on these pens.

Posted by: noah | Oct 3, 2006 7:58:46 PM

I'm fascinated about how these pens and tips are manufactured to such stringent tolerances - are there any details (preferably step by step} available of the manufacturing process? appreciate a link.

thanks much

Posted by: Nari | Feb 8, 2006 3:01:30 AM

Beverly, it's pretty much worth it IMO. After all, I've tried and tried but cannot find the pens available for purchase anywhere else. Plus the company has to import it all from Japan. It's not like they are purposely 'marking up' the prices ridiculously to scam our money. The Jetpens administration and service are extremely reputable and beyond any other internet service I have ever experienced. Keep in mind, it is obviously much cheaper to buy them in Japan, but for most of us who are unable to, this is the only alternative. The company cannot possibly offer them for the same price as sold in Japan and make the smallest bit of profit.

Posted by: Vicki | Sep 4, 2005 3:06:05 PM

"Mitsubishi has sold 4 million of the pens, which come in eight colors, for $1.75 apiece in Japan."

Yet, I see the offer for a set of 8 for $25.00.

Hmmm... If I do the math $1.75 x 8 = $14.00

Talk about a little markup. Does this company sell gasoline too!

Posted by: Chuck | Sep 1, 2005 5:47:19 PM

Well, finally. I've been itching to transfer all my documents to grains of rice.
Personally, I'm working hard to produce the pen with the broadest point.
And WHOSE four hairs? I could floss my teeth or sew on a button with four of mine. Part Yeti or something.

Posted by: Beverly | Aug 30, 2005 1:18:48 PM

"twice the width of two human hairs"...hmmm...why not "the width of four human hairs"?

Just wondering :-).