« nicecupofteaandasitdown.com | Home | Nuit Blanche is October 1 »

September 12, 2005

Hublot Big Bang — A material too far

P9o78ik

From noted Swiss watchmaker Hublot comes this "Fusion between Ceramic, Steel, Carbon, Kevlar and Rubber."

Guess what: critical mass wasn't reached or something went wrong somewhere in the design studio, because this watch looks like it was designed by a committee of chimpanzees who simply chose the shiniest pieces.

Yeah, it's got those special bolts that require a dedicated tool to manipulate, but so what?

They couldn't even be bothered to line up the slots in the heads, à la those in Audemars Piguet's

C15152

venerable Royal Oak (above).

The Big Bang is available in rose gold (top) or stainless steel (below)

Oihoh

here. (I hope your Russian's better than mine.)

September 12, 2005 at 09:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Hublot Big Bang — A material too far:

Comments

does anyone know a reliable replica website for hublots plz email me

Posted by: ross | Dec 3, 2009 4:08:36 PM

I've bought myself a Hublot BB Black Magic last month. Love the watch a lot!!! Used to buy a lot of other brands such as Omega speedmaster, Chanel J12, Oris, Rolex GMT II..I guess BB makes it so outstanding when it's on my wrist.

Posted by: Allison | Nov 12, 2009 5:06:40 AM

I bought a $260 watch that looks similar and even better than the Hublot Rose Gold BB. I would never spend 18K on a watch since it's a complete waste. I've spent $80,000 buying high end watches in the last 5 years and after learning that they are the fasted depreciating asset after a car,,,never again. I'd rather have 4 of the $260 model I have now that looks even more realistic than an actual Hublot and I can have it in steel, all black PVD, rose gold and brown....for about a thousand dollars and I won't be afraid to wear it and get a little scratch on it........as I get older I'm understanding that the whole watch market is a big ripp off. the movement in my $260 watch is the same chopard and Bvlgari use?? am I paying for those exciting letters on the watch?

Posted by: zanyviper | Apr 14, 2008 3:06:28 PM

I recently bought the Frapuccino and I have to admit I was not 100% for the first two or three days but I love it now. I bought it form a friend of mine who went through the same process of um, ah, not sure. It really does ork with jeans or a good suit. I am now considering the rose gold version once I get some more cash to play with :)

Posted by: Uncle Les | Mar 29, 2008 6:15:41 PM

I, for one, really like Hublot's Big Bang. I really appreciate the design and fusion of different materials, it definitely makes for a unique look.

Posted by: JP - Watch Review | Mar 19, 2008 8:02:46 PM

I have the steel bezel w/rubber strap. I absolutely love the watch. I would like to find a brushed and polished bracelet for it and also an H screwdriver. Anyone know where to find these items? Why would anyone compare the BB to the AP? If you don't like the BB, don't look at it. Did you really think that those were real screws. Anyone who has ever worked on a watch, knows that you stop turning the screw when it is snug, not when it lines up with the case.

Posted by: jim | Aug 18, 2007 5:48:29 PM

Just bought my BB Stainless Steel Rubber Band yesterday

It is amazingly beatifull and feels like a real man watch

Indeed you can wear it on any occassion

I can stop my 15 years search for my Must Have Watch finally

Posted by: Wainando | Jun 8, 2007 6:02:12 AM

u much is the Big Bang Stainless Steel Rubber Band watch is really worth?

Kingston,
Jamaica,
W.I

Posted by: richard | Apr 12, 2007 10:23:54 AM

Hi all. I just bought my BB rose gold, and I must say I love this watch.
Its sporty yet can be work practically to any event, and the fusion betwwen materials is really special.

It took me 4 months to track it down, and I eventually found one. I dont particularly care about what any one else thinks, or what reviews it has received. What I do care about is that it feels brilliant to wear, which is why I believe those that have actually put in on, as opposed to browsed pictures will have the love reaction.

Regards,

Ozan

Posted by: Ozan | Mar 24, 2007 9:32:30 PM

This argument is something I was expecting ever since I saw the Big Bang. First of all, yes, anyone could think of the screws as a "trend" in watchmaking, after looking at the Royal Oak and the BB, among others, but there are many others details that must be looked at carefully and that make both great watches, but set apart the BB.

Personally I have a Big Bang in stainless steel and ceramic, and waiting to buy the Frapuccino! The rounded case in the BB make it more stylish watch than the AP, and less "industrial" or rough.

Of course, the many awards the BB have recieved so far and the beauty of the watch, speak for themselves

Posted by: joel | Dec 13, 2006 1:23:45 PM

I agree with those who are enamoured with the Big Bang particularly, the Rose Gold version. I own a Royal Oak Championship made from Tantalum but must confess there is something extraordinarily beautiful about the Big Bang and Hublot's "fusion" concept. More than the size it is the overall beauty.....I am debating between buying the 44mm or 41mm ? Any suggestions ?

Posted by: S.Nanda | Dec 2, 2006 11:24:44 AM

Guess what, AP doesn't use screws on the bezel. Notice they're not round. How can you screw something that's not round? You can't align screws, which is what Hublot uses.
Oh, and apart from that - everybody but you seems to love the design. I don't care what you think, but I care what e.g. the city of Geneva thinks, or Watchtime magazine, to name just two awards the BB has received.

Posted by: tom | Jul 30, 2006 7:00:52 AM

I'd like to know if your comments are based on a hands-on review of the Hublot Big Bang.

The Royal Oak you show as comparison is a Perpetual Calendar and performs quite different functions than the BB. The Hublot design actually predates the Royal Oak.

Hublot is French for 'porthole' and the watch is shaped like one. The 'ears' at 9:00 and 3:00 represent the handles used to open and close the porthole. The screws on the bezel represent the screws on the porthole frame sealing the glass in the frame.

As far as I know, the screws in the AP bezel have no such significance. The screws on the BB are not aligned as on the Royal Oak because I doubt they would be so aligned on a porthole. In my view, that is attention to detail far in excess of that shown in the AP line.

Many new watches are greeted with love it - hate it reactions. A look at recent IWC introductions will illustrate this point clearly.

Having seen the entire Big Bang line in person, I think they represent some new design ideas that will further set Hublot apart from other Swiss watch makers. I think we will continue to see style cues from this watch on future Hublot designs. I liken the Big Bang to a Concept Car shown at major international automobile shows to test the general public's reaction to styling chnages and to help define future vehicles.

Apparently a substantial number of watch lovers have the love it reaction to the BB since there is a worldwide shortage of them.

Thanks for reading this far.

Roloya, the Greek word for watches.

Posted by: Roloya | Nov 5, 2005 9:08:54 PM