« October 27, 2005 | Main | October 29, 2005 »

October 28, 2005

49media

Nbnmbb

Wow!

I was searching my past posts for something or other — but different from the search before — on Google last night and came upon this website, "a magazine for weblog media."

OK, well and good, but when the page I opened from Google was the one pictured above, I was speechless.

Go here to see how my page in their "magazine" looks at the moment.

Very cool.

If you like the thumbnail accompanying the post you can click on it to read it.

On their site, booboo — not by clicking the screenshot above.

Sheesh.

Where was I?

Oh, yes — 49media and what it is.

It would thus seem a visual alternative to text searching and deciding on the basis of, say, a headline and an excerpt, ala RSS, whether or not to read the whole thing.

I was amazed to see that they've got tons of my posts going all the way back to April of this year.

I counted — no, not one by one; I made a rough estimate, OK? Gimme a break — and would guess there are about 1,200 there.

Almost every single one.

Very, very interesting way of getting a feel for what a blog or website is about — at least, one that features photos.

I will keep an eye on this concept.

October 28, 2005 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Wovel — 'The snow shovel on a wheel'

1vcvbnv

I'm loving it.

I want one.

I must have mine before the first flake falls.

2nbmn

No — when I stumbled down the stairs earlier today doesn't count as the first fall.

At least, not of this flake.

But I digest — no, wait a minute, that's not right....

3mnbmn_

Watch the video to see it in action.

Now you're ready to order yours.

$119.95 + $19.95 shipping = $140.90 here.

4_54

Official snow shovel of bookofjoe even if it isn't the right color — it's just too kewl 4 skool.

October 28, 2005 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Top–Earning Dead Celebrities: Elvis remains the king — for the fifth consecutive year

Young_elvis

Just released by Forbes magazine yesterday, its 5th annual list of the top moneymakers whose estates continue to rake in the cash long after their reasons for being have departed this mortal coil.

Elvis brought in $45 million last year.

Runner–up for the second consecutive year was Peanuts cartoonist Charles M. Schulz, with $35 million.

John Lennon brought in $22 million, Andy Warhol $16 million, and Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss to you) $10 million.

The complete list of 13:

13. Ray Charles

October 28, 2005 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Tool Chest–in–a–Hammer

Bbnv

Sure, it's a hammer.

But it's so much more.

Inside this tricked–out tool are 4 screwdrivers — three straight slots and a Phillips head.

But that's not all — they'll personalize it for you at no additional charge.

Every girl needs one of these in her bag.

$5.99 here.

October 28, 2005 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Link = [sic]?

Strun79a

What's this?

Some arcane Mathematica from Stephen Wolfram?

Not really; in fact, it's not even math.

It dawned on me yesterday afternoon, after my post about the Tailgate Cargo Box™ went up, and I reread it, that most readers would think I'd made a typo re: the name of the hometown of the device's inventor.

The name of the town is Taylors, South Carolina but I'd bet 99% of people would read that and say, oh, I guess he misspelled "Taylor."

I mean, I'd think so if I read it.

So then I thought I could do what people do when they're working with [ink] atoms rather than bits: put "[sic]" after Taylors.

But that interrupts the flow, especially online where flow is all.

And then the penny dropped — whenever there's a spelling that seems wrong or weird or remarkable in any way, simply link to a website with the correct spelling.

So obvious in retrospect, but only then.

And that is why I created the equation heading this post.

But then, when I went to find out where [sic] comes from, things got a little murkier.

Onelook.com, the online dictionary site, says it means "intentionally so written."

Well, that's what I've always thought.

But when I visited the Online Etymology Dictionary I learned the term is an "insertion in printed quotation to call attention to error in the original."

But in the case of Taylors there is no error in the original: only the likelihood that the reader will think there's an error.

My use of [sic] was preemptive rather than remedial.

So now I'm not sure if it's appropriate to follow this practice.

Tell you what: I'm gonna continue doing so until Strunk, White or someone I consider their syntactical equal tells me to cease and desist.

October 28, 2005 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Maira Kalman "Story of My Life" fabric

Storyofmylife480

The wonderful author and illustrator doodled for a few months and out came her first fabric design ever, for Maharam.

It's a "woven 'hieroglyphic journal' based on pen–and–ink drawings of her favorite things: dancers, pomegranates, Gerrit Rietveld Zig-Zag chairs, rhinoceroses and balls of string, all embellished with curious crosshatches and squiggles," wrote Stephen Henderson in the New York Times.

From his piece:

"It is a considered stream of consciousness," Kalman says, explaining that she compulsively sketches, photographs and files away whatever catches her eye, be it a shoe in India or some Texas tumbleweed.

"When I draw something, though, it's never to make fun of, or to say, 'Isn't that silly?'" she says.

"No! I think, 'Isn't that sublime?'"

The 54"–wide fabric is available by the yard in three colors (below)

Storyofmylifethree480

by special order, with a lead time of 2–4 weeks.

$125 a yard here.

October 28, 2005 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

GoogleTV — it's here

Mnnmbvb

Now anyone can have their own show: just submit your video.

Among other things, the new site offers the first 75 of 284 interviews with actors, directors and producers from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences archives.

Free.

As it should be.

October 28, 2005 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Pumpkin Papaya Purée Enzyme Face Masque

Vbvbnnm

That should be pretty self–explanatory, what?

Just in time for Halloween, princess.

Smells just like that pumpkin pie we crave every year.

A tingly rejuvenating masque guaranteed to make faces glow.

The natural enzymes in pumpkin and papaya remove dead skin cells gently.

Since when did "mask" acquire the alternative spelling above when used in this context?

Maybe since never.

Oh, I know, I know: don't be a hater.

Sorry.

$16 for a 4.23 oz. jar here.

October 28, 2005 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack