« Wikipedia: Errors in the Encyclopedia Britannica that have been corrected in Wikipedia | Home | 'Floating Mountains, Singing Clouds' — The sculpture of Mei–ling Hom »

October 11, 2005

BehindTheMedspeak — World's Best Dental Floss: Glide is flossizzle

200cvb

It's not even a contest.

My teeth are very tightly spaced, so much so that regular floss, even the extra–fine variety, shreds and tears repeatedly when I use it, so much so that flossing becomes an ordeal requiring maybe five or six attempts with as many fresh lengths.

Until I discovered Glide.

This stuff is the flossizzle.

At the dentist's this morning for my check–up and cleaning the hygienist mentioned, when I told her offhandedly that I used Glide, that she had instructed the office manager to order only Glide, no matter that it cost much more than other varieties.

She said the increased cost was easily made up in less time and effort for her and her colleagues and less patient discomfort due to the same problems I had with other brands.

I like mine in the cylindrical flip–top as pictured up top.

$6.89 for 100 m (109.4 yards/328 feet) here.

Full disclosure: I own no stock in Procter & Gamble, which recently purchased the Glide brand. I have never spoken to anyone at Procter & Gamble nor any ad agency affiliated with that company or Glide.

October 11, 2005 at 04:31 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BehindTheMedspeak — World's Best Dental Floss: Glide is flossizzle:

» Breakfast: 10/12/2005 from Basil's Blog
Info Theory is tracking the Miers endorsements. Hooah Wife is rapidly approaching 1 year blogiversary. Wil Wheaton (still in exile) discovers a source for new music. Tim Blair discovers why Bali is a target. Nurse Kelly (Time to Lean) tries to... [Read More]

Tracked on Oct 12, 2005 7:45:40 AM

Comments

So, is there Teflon on Glide dental floss and does it pose the same health risk as the teflon on cooking pans, which is real?

Posted by: LS | Feb 28, 2009 2:22:39 AM

Nope, teflon will glide ride on through your system unmetabolized. If you cook with Teflon anything you end up ingesting some.

Posted by: ScienceChic | Oct 13, 2005 8:53:24 PM

Speaking of teeth...oh, I know this is totally off-track, but I couldn't resist...
Silliness is, to me, a concept that is highly underrated. I revere it. Check out "Conrad Pooh and his Dancing Teeth" from Monty Python's And Now For Something Completely Different. It is grand high silliness, being both silly as in stupid and as in irresistably delightful at the same time.
(Well, it was about teeth, at least.)

Posted by: Flutist | Oct 13, 2005 8:00:48 PM

I have to agree with Jonathan.
I must have forty teeth, all jammed in closer than the diners in a north Georgia family resturant on a Sunday after church.

The thing that keeps those chiclets cleaned out for me has always been good old sturdy, heavyweight, Dental Tape. My teeth just laugh at floss, be it Glide or any of the newfangled stuff.

Yep, Dental Tape. Sure, it's kind of a workout, and you have to teach yourself to not saw down into the gum in your zeal to floss, but hey, it increases upper body strength.

Posted by: Flutist | Oct 13, 2005 1:42:15 PM

Another alternative is Johnson and Johnson woven floss. The brand name is Gentle Gum Care.

It is a lightly twisted floss that does not shread like other types. Unlike Glide it has enough bulk to clean the contacts via friction, but can be removed easily without breakage.

Cost is about 1/3 of the Glide cost and in my experience works more effectively than Glide.

Are there any problems with ingesting Teflon from the Glide floss since I assume some will be removed during the flossing process?

Posted by: Claude Dinsmoor | Oct 13, 2005 6:47:33 AM

Joe - I use Glide too and I completely agree with you. I got turned onto it by my dentist who'd give me a little sample pack when I went for a cleaning - strangely this little pack has a Gore-Tex logo on it as well: what's that all about?

Posted by: Russ | Oct 12, 2005 1:44:03 PM

Whoa! I must disagree. Glide is too slippery to adequately scrape the teeth of plaque. It just glides past the little buggers, who remain on your teeth to wreak havoc.

Seriously, it may be easier to floss with this stuff, but it doesn't really do the job.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 12, 2005 12:03:50 PM

The difference is in the expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (or Teflon) - which put Glide on the Environmental Working Group's Watchlist for Global Contaminants:http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/products.php?prodtype=5

Most floss is made from nylon, which is why it breaks and shreds (too) easily.

I use Glide anyway, but since you claimed yourself largely left-leaning yesterday, I didn't want you raving on and on about Glide to your leftie friends and getting in trouble. (It would be the eco-equivalent of meeting them in a fur coat!) ;)

Posted by: Shawn Lea | Oct 11, 2005 6:21:54 PM