« Hands–Free Doorknob | Home | Homer Simpson Pizza Cutter »

October 6, 2005

The Zen of Pie

Craig Wilson's column in yesterday's USA Today was as fervent an avowal of eternal love as I've read in a long, long time.

The headline was, "If baking pie is Zen, then eating it is nirvana."

It was addressed to one Anne Dimock, an artist and writer in Afton, Minnesota, whose new book, "Humble Pie: Musings on What Lies Beneath the Crust," is not only possessed of a wonderful title but has filling — er, content — that made Wilson swoon with delight.

Wilson is a unabashed pie–lover and he apparently found consummation in this book.

Dimock has been called by none other than Garrison Keillor "the Proust of pie."

Wrote Wilson, "I have never met Anne Dimock, but I am in love with her."

Noting Dimock's edict that strawberries and rhubarb do not belong in the same pie, Wilson enthused, "I have found my soul mate. The search is over."

His final paragraph read, "I'm not going to beg. Marry me, Anne Dimock. I have pie tins."

The book retails for $12.95; amazon sells it for $10.36.

But wait — there's more.

At 1 p.m. (ET) today Wilson's going to be live online discussing pie, his newfound love object, and things related.

So here's yet another pleasant way to goof off on company time.

Hey — keeping you sane is Job #1 here.

Wait a minute: I don't work at Ford.

Do I?

October 6, 2005 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference The Zen of Pie:

» The Zen of Baking (and Eating) from Everything And Nothing
Men like Craig Wilson are why I love to bake. There is a special bonding that takes place, a gastronomic transference of love, between the bakers and the eaters. For years, I baked something homemade for my co-workers every Friday [Read More]

Tracked on Oct 6, 2005 3:26:02 PM

» Army reservists offered more help from improve for British
health services are to improve for British Army reservists fighting in Iraq, the Ministry of Defence [Read More]

Tracked on May 20, 2006 6:52:58 PM

» Essay: Well-Intentioned Food Police May Create Havoc With Children's Diets from n fighting the
n fighting the "obesity epidemic," maybe some schools are going too far. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 6, 2006 2:58:48 PM

» Choose and Book fails on air from say about Choose
the national e-booking system last night and one user had the embarrassing experience [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 8, 2006 4:17:19 PM

» The Heat Is Dissipating Quickly from missing. If you
Sunday night's Game 2 pratfall? 'We're not worthy?' 'We're beneath contempt?' 'We're going to Disneyland?' Shaquille [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 17, 2006 3:57:30 AM

» Ill-fated journey challenges U.S. policies (AP) from jumpsuit and
slip-on shoes. He held the receiver in one hand, his electronic voice box in the other. [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 1, 2006 3:59:28 PM

Comments

If you have the choice of going to regular heaven or pie heaven....go to pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not, you'll be in pie heaven :)

Posted by: Lauren | Oct 10, 2005 9:55:13 PM

In case anyone is chewing their nails over this, I still have a thing about pie. As, I trust, does our gentle host Joe.

But I'm the one with the...

What, nobody was wondering about this?

I didn't think so.