« December 13, 2005 | Main | December 15, 2005 »

December 14, 2005

Solarjo Power Purse

Armnbag_1

Created by Joe Hynek, a doctoral candidate in mechanical engineering at Iowa State University.

He developed it as part of his thesis on integrating fashion and technology.

Wrote Marissa Newhall in today's USA Today story, "Solar panels on the handbag's exterior harness the sun's rays into batteries inside the purse, from which users can charge electronic devices such as cellphones and iPods via a USB port in the bag."

Said Hynek in the article, "I'm hoping to get it made for under $300. The wires are all enclosed. The shape of it is designed so it can sit on a windowsill and charge while you're at work."

Tell you what: the first computer manufacturer to incorporate solar cells into a laptop is going to make a fortune.

Maybe the next PowerBook?

Memo to Apple or whoever's going to make it happen: make sure to put solar panels on both the top of the machine and the base next to the trackpad so that the machine charges while at rest and in use.

Solar is the new black.

And you can quote me.

December 14, 2005 at 05:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

'If you are undercover you cannot charge — it will blow your cover'

Cia_logo

According to Al Kamen's "In The Loop" column in today's Washington Post, that's what it says on "the little sign in a Lucite stand next to the cash register in the gift shop at the CIA."

What, you didn't realize the CIA has a gift shop?

Silly goose.

December 14, 2005 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Bugatti Veyron — For $1,250,000, the world's fastest production car

11194239

Today's Wall Street Journal features Stephen Power's story about Volkswagen's latest bad idea (above and below).

Bnm_bvb_vbnv_vbnvn

You will recall that the company recently pulled the plug on its luxury Phaeton after nobody bought it.

I guess they figure they'll make up for that gaffe by upping their new flagship's price by a factor of 20: that way, they'll only have to not sell 5% of the number of Phaetons they couldn't fool people into believing were Mercedes or BMW equivalents to lose the same enormous sum of money.

No matter: Power got a great article and they even let him test drive the Veyron.

He noted that he got anxious at 112 mph and wouldn't take it any higher.

Not a problem for the professional test driver riding shotgun with him: they changed seats and his companion took it up a notch.

Wrote Power, "There's nothing like traveling 170 mph, in the rain, on a one–lane road. Except when your driver slams the brakes to illustrate their stopping force."

Bnvbvnbvb_v

Specs:

• 16–cylinder engine

• 1,001 horsepower

• 0–62 in 2.5 seconds

• 253 mph top speed

Nvbnvbnvmbnvbnmv_

The car is currently being produced at a factory in France, where it takes over a week to make each one.

I must say that they took more than a casual styling cue from the Dodge Viper (below).

Dddddddddssssssss

I might take issue with the Wall Street Journal's headline for Power's story; it reads:

Million–Dollar Baby: World's Most Expensive Car

What about Ferrari's Enzo?

That one runs $1,755,000 last time I looked.

Maybe I'll send Power and the Wall Street Journal an email pointing out this discrepancy.

I mean, it's not like I've got a lot of other things to do, what?

zoom Zoom ZOOM!

December 14, 2005 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBack

Best Cartoon of the Month

Toles_1

By Tom Toles, the peerless editorial cartoonist of the Washington Post, it appears in today's paper.

The back story is here.

December 14, 2005 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Web Noir

Web_noir

It's a site dedicated to film noir.

If you're a fan you'll like it; if you're curious about film noir and not sure exactly what the term means you'll find out; and if you don't have anything better to do you'll be entertained.

That covers just about everyone here, I'd say.

Don't shake you head and mutter to yourself that I haven't a clue how important you and your work are: I know exactly what's what.

One simply does not become your favorite blogging anesthesiologist by chance, you know.

Ccccccvvvddd

Just call me Breitling.

December 14, 2005 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

ThingsICan'tLIveWithout: Disposable Latex Gloves

Nbnmvnmnmnmn

What with BehindTheMedspeak and MorphWorld it would appear I've gotten into thehabitofrunningwordstogether to title my special features.

So with Things....

I became acquainted with the myriad uses of disposable latex gloves back in medical school when I was exposed to them in the course of my clinical rotations.

When I spent my obligatory six weeks on general surgery during my third year I'd occasionally take a box of gloves home if I could remember to do so after 36 straight hours awake running around the hospital. (There are boxes of gloves above each scrub sink in the OR.)

I continued stocking my home from the hospital from then on until I stopped working full time in the OR and eventually used up my stash.

So I'd buy a box at the hardware store whenever I remembered.

Then came the web and things got much better.

Nowadays I buy six boxes of 100 at a time (top) for $7.99 apiece here.

They're delivered and left on my front doorstep a week later and I'm set for another year.

Things I've used them for:

• Gluing

• Painting

Spackling

• Cleaning toilets

• Cleaning gutters

• Handling trash cans

• Sanding in the workshop

• Dealing with dead animals

• Cleaning up rotten garbage

• Picking up dog and cat doodoo

• Extracting gunk from drains and pipes

• Handling irritating, caustic or toxic liquids and solids

• Being paranoid, and not wanting to leave my fingerprints on things

December 14, 2005 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Musipedia.org — 'Searching 30,621 melodies and musical themes'

Mplogo

Mylene Mangalindan, in yesterday's Wall Street Journal, wrote, "Rainer Typke, a 31–year–old Ph.D student in the Netherlands, developed a search engine that lets Internet users identify music knowing only the melody...."

Musipedia was "inspired by, but not affiliated with, Wikipedia," wrote Typke on his website.

Check this out: "You can identify a tune even if the melody is all you know. You can play it on a piano keyboard, whistle or sing it to the computer."

Ha.

You know know how to whistle, don't you?

Lauren_bacall

Thought so.

Most interesting idea and website, is Musipedia.

It's amazing what a guy sitting home in his pajamas can do, eh?

Girls too — hey, you know I'm an equal opportunity goof–up.

December 14, 2005 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Official Maimonides* Spider Catcher

Movie_1

"The unique solution to your creepy crawly problems."

As sung about by The Who in 1966.

£9.99 ($17.68; €14.81) here.

[via AW]

*He wrote, "He who saves one life, saves the world."

December 14, 2005 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack