« Motion–Induced Blindness | Home | Traveling Sink »

December 19, 2005

Just Say NO — To Grinding

Bbbbvvv

Just in from Harrisonburg High School in Harrisonburg, Virginia (about a 45–minute drive from me), the news that grinding has been banned from all future high school dances.

Here's the story, hot off the wire.

School Bans Some Types of Dancing, Music

Harrisonburg High School is saying no to "grinding" — a sexually suggestive form of dancing that has disturbed some parents at school events.

The school has banned the dance form.

The new policy was drafted by a committee of teachers, administrators and students, and also prohibits music that includes cursing or references to drugs, violence or sex.

Grinding is a free form style of dance in which couples grind against one another, often front to back, while moving across the dance floor.

Students now must face one another when they dance.

Principal Irene Reynolds says the change will help avoid things getting out of hand.

She said the policy was needed "before things get totally inappropriate."

Added Reynolds, "Every year, the dancing gets a little more [suggestive], and the music kids are listening to contains more and more of what we are banning. We know what parents' expectations would be, and what our own are as well."

Dissenting, 15-year-old Harrisonburg High sophomore Kaitlyn Moffett said, "It feels like they're punishing everyone for what just a few people are doing," and called the bans "a little extreme."

*******************

Take out drugs, violence and sex and my playlist will have about six songs remaining.

December 19, 2005 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Just Say NO — To Grinding:

» Visindar makes it look easy from boosted his Epsom
his Epsom Derby claims with an emphatic victory in the Prix Greffulhe at Saint-Cloud. [Read More]

Tracked on May 23, 2006 5:29:04 AM

» Wizards Solve James, Beat Cavs, Even Series from Cavaliers that
to an 89-84 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers that evened their Eastern Conference first-round series at one game apiece. [Read More]

Tracked on May 29, 2006 11:07:25 AM

» Microsoft's OneCare antivirus software to go live Thursday from Beer, speaking
to sources familiar with Microsoft's plans. OneCare will cost US$49.95 per year, which will cover licenses for as [Read More]

Tracked on May 30, 2006 3:41:34 PM

» U.S. Troops in Iraq to Get Ethics Training from troops in Iraq
troops in Iraq to get ethics training in wake of civilian deaths in Haditha [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 8, 2006 12:14:45 AM

» McKinney loses runoff for Georgia seat (AP) from this year with
known for her conspiracy theories about the Sept. 11 attacks and the scuffle she had earlier this year with a U.S. Capitol police officer, [Read More]

Tracked on Aug 9, 2006 2:11:07 AM

Comments

I'm no grinding expert, but I do still love to dance and go out every chance I get - which is not often anymore. My guess is they are referring to what we old fogies would call "booty dancing."

And it's not always invited. Years ago, when the phenomenon started, my girlfriends and I were all dancing on the floor (probably another birthday celebration - it seems to be the only time I get out) when a young guy came behind me and started "grinding." I was alarmed, to say the least. My friends, of whom I was admittedly the eldest, assured me later that I was just old and everyone danced this way now and get over it and just be glad at my advanced age that anyone still wanted to grind with me. (That's what friends are for...to make you feel better about yourself.)

Picture dirty dancing with both people facing the same direction rather than towards each other. That's grinding.

Posted by: Shawn Lea | Dec 20, 2005 2:07:18 PM

Haven't seen the dance, ut remember - the waltz was opposed because it was too sexual; partners actually touched!

Posted by: John Anderson | Dec 20, 2005 4:32:42 AM

It was Woody Allen. I think in "Love and Death," but I'm not sure. My other favorite from that one. The princess tells Woody that he's a great lover and he says, "Thank you. I practice a lot when I'm alone."

Posted by: Shawn Lea | Dec 19, 2005 9:45:36 PM

This is apropos of absolutely nothing (as usual), but some character in some movie (was it Woody Allen? I hope not, but it probably was), when asked if he thought sex was dirty, replied, "Only if you're doing it right."

Posted by: Flutist | Dec 19, 2005 8:05:41 PM

But thankfully you would still have "MMMBop." What else do you really need anyway? ;)

I remember years ago when Prince, one of my favorites (still), became a dedicated Jehovah's Witness - even knocking on doors in Minneapolis - he vowed to stop playing his songs that contained explicit material. It took me a day or so to figure out the two or three songs that would leave! ;)

Posted by: Shawn Lea | Dec 19, 2005 1:32:25 PM