« January 28, 2006 | Main | January 30, 2006 »

January 29, 2006

egoSurf — 'Know Your Place'

1ccfbdbcdbvcbc

What's this?

I haven't a clue.

2vbvnbvbvbvbnv

You put in your blog's name and URL and then stuff happens and a score is generated.

Beats me what it means.

3cvngfgnfgnfv

I'm currently ranked #5 in the world (below) so it probably doesn't mean a whole lot.

I happened on egoSurf via Clive Thompson's January 14 blog post.

4vmhbvnhvv

He wrote, "egoSurf: A tool to precisely calibrate how much of a winner — or loser — you are in the blogosphere."

Huh.

5bhmhmnbnb

You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

[via Clive Thompson's collisiondetection]

January 29, 2006 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Strangest Converse Shoe in History

Cgnfgvfcfcggfhf

Well?

Do you agree?

Yes, that's a genuine Converse sneaker pictured above, tricked out and "exclusively ours" at Barney's New York.

I must admit that when I saw it, in an ad on page 3 of last Thursday's New York Times, I didn't know whether to laugh or grimace.

I'm reminded of Kevin Kline's remark, the first time he met (his now–wife) Phoebe Cates, "I didn't know whether to adopt her or ask her for a date."

Ha.

Barney's is at Madison and Sixty–First Street; 212-826-8900; barneys.com.

January 29, 2006 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Swarovski Crystal Museum

Lindsay_lohan_2

Got Bling?

Swarovski does — I mean, Lindsay Lohan's cellphone (above) is paved with their product so it must be phat.

The crystal purveyor has opened a museum in Vienna to display all manner of crystal–related things, among them:

• The world's largest kaleidoscope

• A huge crystal wall 36 feet high and 138 feet long, paved with over 12 tons of crystals

• A crystal–eyed giant with a waterfall spilling out of his mouth

• Works by Salvador Dali, Keith Haring and a mult–media installation by Brian Eno

Full address of the museum: Hofburg-Kaiserappartements-Sisi Museum-Silberkammer, Kaisertor/Innerer Burghof, Hofburg, A-1010 Wien, Austria; Tel.: +43-1-533-75-70; Fax: +43-1-533-75-70-33; e-mail: info@hofburg-wien.at; Website: www.hofburg-wien.at.

January 29, 2006 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Magnetic Baskets

Bookofjoe_says_

I don't buy everything I write about here — what, you think I'm crazy?

But I did buy these nifty boxes the instant I espied them.

My fridge and its environs are a very busy place.

These baskets will enable even more functionality in the kitchen space.

And that, in the end, is what it's all about.

No — it isn't the Hokey–Pokey.

Magnetic Baskets get a hold of all the important little things.

Coupons, scissors, pens, shopping list, stamps, appointment cards and more now have a place to call home.

Mesh metal baskets with powerful magnets can be used in kitchen or office.

Set of four [top] range in size from 3-3/8"W x 2-1/4"H to 6-1/4"W x 3-5/8"H.

********************

$12.98 here.

January 29, 2006 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

'Have you seen your mother, baby, standing in the shadow...?'

11gngfgf

I'm not the crispiest chip in the bag but I do know this: when you get the message above (in teeny tiny print: click on it, booboo, so you can read it... doh!) when you log onto a new website intending to write about it in your blog, it does not bode well for that website.

First rule of not having contempt for your users (or at least not showing you have it): lose the Soviet–style "while we work to improve your user experience."

Because you have just degraded our user experience by acting as if we're brain–dead.

The first sentence should read: "Shadows is currently down."

Period.

But I digress.

Shadows came to my attention last evening when I read, on page 152 of an article about venture capital, in the new (February 2006) issue of Wired magazine, the following: "One of the startup's cofounders, Andrew Busey, unveiled a side project he'd been tinkering with for a few months. It was a product that would create a duplicate version of any Web site where users could post comments, share tips and information, and add relevant data."

2shadowslogo

Where can I get one?

I'd love to have a shadow bookofjoe in a parallel internet universe.

So I had my crack research team look into it.

Alas, their quest soon degenerated into the usual bafflement and confusion.

Bvbhmghgjhgvg_1

We opened an account and were all ready to set up bookofjoe but hit the wall very quickly.

We couldn't see anything in the Shadows, as it were: how to use it, what it actually did, nothing.

4shadows_logo163x51

Just another set of blocks for bored young guys who don't know what to do with themselves or their Bubble 1.0 internet cashouts.

January 29, 2006 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Argument Chair

Dontwalk21

$4,400

Dontwalk2_1

here.

[via Shawn Lea and everythingandnothing]

January 29, 2006 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: Defibrillators can kill

Ekgbrugada_14

Though lauded for their potentially life–saving capability, these devices are not toys.

Consider the tragic story of Joshua Philip Martin and Courtney Hilton Rhoton, a 23–year–old mother of two small children who had worked her way through school to become an emergency medical technician in Russell County, Virginia.

Rex Bowman's January 24 Richmond Times–Dispatch story relates what can happen when a defibrillator is used on a person with a beating heart.

New EMT Convicted in Fatal Prank

Though warned, he shocked a co-worker with a defibrillator

Joshua Philip Martin was in his fourth day on the job as a rescue-squad worker in Russell County when, in a playful mood, he decided to reach into the front seat of the ambulance and zap one of his co-workers with the defibrillator paddles.

The rookie's mistake was fatal.

Yesterday, in Russell Circuit Court, a judge convicted Martin, 25, of involuntary manslaughter, warning the burly but pink-faced young man that when he returns to court in March, he likely will be sent to prison.

He faces a maximum sentence of 10 years.

The target of Martin's prank was Courtney Hilton Rhoton, a 23-year-old mother of two small children who had worked her way through school to become an emergency medical technician [EMT].

She went into cardiac arrest seconds after Martin placed the paddles on her chest and shoulder.

Three days later, on June 4, she died.

After watching bailiffs lead Martin off to jail yesterday, the mothers of Rhoton and Martin stood at opposite ends of a narrow courthouse hallway and wept, one for the loss of her daughter, the other for the fate of her son.

All agreed Martin had meant no harm, though none derived comfort from the thought.

"If they just knew Josh!" his mother, Diana White, exclaimed between sobs.

"He just made a mistake. Everybody plays on the job, even cops. But with this one, it caught up. He's going to pay for it for the rest of his life."

"He was just playing around," Martin's aunt, Karen Martin, said.

"Anybody who knows him knows this was not intentional."

Rhoton's mother, Sandra Davenport, could not summon words to express her grief, except to say: "Everybody loved her."

In the courtroom minutes earlier, Martin had stood with his hands deep in his pants pockets and pleaded no contest to the charge against him, allowing Russell prosecutor Mike Bush to summarize the evidence without calling witnesses.

According to Bush, if the case had gone to trial, a witness would have testified that Martin, an EMT, was in the back of a Highlands Ambulance Service ambulance on June 1 when he first picked up the paddles of the manual defibrillator.

Defibrillators are used to restore heartbeats, but they can also stop a heart.

Martin, though an EMT, was not yet qualified to use the defibrillator and had been told it is not something to play with, Bush said.

Rhoton was in the front passenger seat of the ambulance, and driver Michael Coleman was heading south on U.S. 19 in Lebanon when Coleman heard Rhoton tell Martin not to touch her "with that," Bush said.

Coleman looked back to see Martin putting the paddles away.

But shortly afterward, Bush said, Coleman heard the "sound of a shock" and heard Rhoton yell: "Oh my God, Mike, he shocked me!"

Seconds later she stiffened and then went limp.

Coleman frantically tried to hold her slumping body up while driving and calling the private ambulance company's office.

Rhoton, who had been an EMT for one year, never regained consciousness.

She left behind two children, Christopher and Tamra, now 6 and 4.

Yesterday, the families of the two EMTs passed each other in the hallway as they left the courtroom.

Rhoton's sister, Chanda Lawson, 30, expressed bitterness as she watched the Martin family cry: "They're crying because he's going to jail, but my sister's not coming back."

Karen Martin overheard the comment and blurted out: "Josh is a good kid! A good kid!"

January 29, 2006 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Electronic Vegetable Peeler

Gjygjhghghjgjhg_1

The Euro Cuisine Electronic Peeler safeguards your fingers from cuts, keeps the peels from flying all over your kitchen and makes quick work of veggies!

Peeling vegetables with ordinary peelers can be time–consuming and painful!

Now there's a better way with the Euro Cuisine Electronic Peeler.

This sleek device makes peeling vegetables and even fish safe and easy.

Four 2.5-inch cutting blades rotate to make quick work of carrots, potatoes and zucchini.

Its protection shield helps to keep the peels and scales inside so they don't fly all over your kitchen and prevents fingers from getting nicked.

It's even waterproof so you can use it under a running faucet.

Easy to clean, it has a rechargeable battery and comes with an adapter.

• Ergonomically designed

********************

I must say that I have never peeled a fish but I am willing to learn.

I do recall Mae West's memorable request, "Beulah, peel me a grape," from her 1933 movie, "I'm No Angel."

But I digress.

Endorsed by the Bizarro World Slow Food Movement.

$24.95 here.