« Polly want a cracker? Why you should never cross a parrot | Home | 'Origin of the Gob' »

January 21, 2006

Hydrogen Fireplace — Water is the fuel


Talk about the Bizarro World.

This remarkable new home accent (above) uses ordinary tap water to produce a cozy flame for your hearth.

Underneath the abstract design is some pretty sophisticated technology, wrote Bradford McKee in Thursday's New York Times.

Here's his article.

    A New Fireplace That Gets Its Fuel Straight From the Faucet

    The $50,000 Aqueon Hydrogen Fireplace by Heat & Glo (www.heatnglo.com) burns water, sort of.

    Through a process called electrolysis, an electric current is passed through water to separate it into hydrogen and oxygen.

    The fireplace ignites the hydrogen and mixes in some oxygen to add color to the flame, since hydrogen burns a nearly invisible blue.

    The remaining oxygen is released into the room.

    There is no carbon monoxide and no need for venting.

    The unit stands about six feet high with a sculptural carriage for the burner wrought in stainless steel and copper.

    The technology can work in a conventional fireplace for about $35,000, said Vince Bossany, a company spokesman.

    "As with plasma TV's, we're out of reach of the typical owner," Mr. Bossany said, but more affordable models may be about five years away.


Think about it: no firewood, no carbon monoxide poisoning, no smoke, no ashes to clean up, no need to bore a hole in your house for a chimney or vent and, bonus: it adds oxygen to your ambient air.

$49,900 here.

January 21, 2006 at 09:01 AM | Permalink


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Hydrogen Fireplace — Water is the fuel:


I want to buy your product,
send me the price list,

Posted by: milan | May 11, 2007 3:42:30 AM

Neat decor item. I remember reading more about this a while ago and it doesn't really pan out as cool as it sounds. I couldn't find the original post I read, but the comments here (http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=470) sum up the problem: it takes a LOT of electricity to convert the water into hydrogen and oxygen. It is no more efficient than just using the electric energy to heat the house in the first place. (I still think it's pretty cool, though. Only $49 000 keep me from getting one!)

Posted by: Dulcinea | Jan 21, 2006 6:43:22 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.