« March 6, 2006 | Main | March 8, 2006 »

March 7, 2006

'TiVo Mobile... will allow Verizon Wireless customers... to schedule TV shows for recording when they're on the go'

Headbanging_2

The headline above is a direct quote from Nick Wingfield's story in today's Wall Street Journal about the latest TiVo venture.

I started laughing so hard, picturing myself trying to program my TiVo from my cellphone.

First came TiVoToGo, now this.

Wingfield noted that you first have to download "a small software program" to your cellphone so it can communicate with your TiVo home digital–video recorder.

I can, with an enormous amount of effort and fierce concentration, once in a while successfully send an email from my cellphone.

However — it takes me about 15 minutes if everything goes well so it's not something I do unless I'm feeling particularly masochistic.

Why, why would I want to program my TiVo — if I had one, which I don't? — from my cellphone?

TiVo is also working on software that will let you transfer programs you've recorded on your DVR onto your iPod.

Now that's something that might pique my interest enough to consider getting a TiVo.

But then I'd have to get an iPod....

I think I'll just sit here in the bleachers a while longer, maybe have another brewski, what?

March 7, 2006 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

iBelieve — Replacement cap and lanyard for iPod shuffle

Jjjhgjhgjgkujju

Inspired by the world's obsession and devotion to the iPod, iBelieve is a replacement lanyard for your iPod shuffle.

It is a social commentary on the fastest growing religion in the world.

The iBelieve is constructed using the same materials and precision ball bearing snap fit as your existing iPod shuffle cap so you can relax knowing your precious soundtrack is safe.

Just toss your old cap habit, pop on the divine iBelieve and rejoice!

Tell you what: it wasn't just me who was smitten with the iBelieve: it's on the cover of the current (March/April) issue of I.D. magazine (top).

That's some big–time placement for the creation of Scott Wilson who, in his day job, is creative director for Nike's Sports Technology Group.

Hkluyuilhuo

"Audio salvation for only $12.95" (shuffle not included).

March 7, 2006 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Touching the Void

1vbgbnvnvbn

First, read the book by legendary mountaineer Joe Simpson, then watch the movie.

You don't have to be a climber or adventurous to become absorbed by Simpson's autobiographical account of a good day with his climbing partner Simon Yates gone terribly bad on Siula Grande in the Peruvian Alps in 1985.

His story is way beyond gripping and frightening: you couldn't make it up.

Long story short: it took two years and six operations before Simpson was functional again, so terrible were the injuries he suffered on the descent.

The movie rights were three times purchased and then abandoned as prospective filmmakers decided it was too difficult a film to make.

Finally, in 2003 the movie came out.

I watched it last night on DVD and it is simply magnificent.

Simpson and Yates narrate the film in fascinating on–camera interviews interspersed with spectacular footage shot on the site of their great adventure in the Peruvian Alps, with expert climbers playing their roles.

Simpson, not a man who is prone to becoming overtly emotional, breaks down and starts crying at one point as he describes some of his bleakest moments, when he was certain he was going to die alone on the mountain.

You can buy a used copy of his book at Amazon for 98 cents if you're not sure you want to invest a whole lot.

If even that's too much you can watch a trailer for the movie here.

Joe Simpson's website went live in December of last year.

2fghnfcngn

Here's a link to a 1995 interview that appeared in Climber magazine.

March 7, 2006 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

World's First X–Ray Video Glasses

Fffddafbgdbg

"Color X-ray vision with audio."

See for yourself right here.

Xraygspin

Special introductory price: $2,400.

March 7, 2006 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Mermaid Books — 'I operate one of the only websites in the world dedicated to the preservation of common books'

Gkkh

So wrote Sean Kurilko of Fort Bragg, California last week in his email about this and that, joehead stuff like Verlyn Klinkenborg, etc.

I had the crack research team investigate and it would appear Sean is right on the money with his description of his company.

In his email, focusing on Verlyn's dismay at the deterioration of his "... yellowing and decaying paperback book collection," Sean noted, "I am beginning to carry supplies that would make it easy for Klinkenborg to preserve his invaluable (to him) collection fairly simply, with some special glue, a nice vinyl cover, and a little TLC."

Klinkenborg?

Bueller?

Anyone?

March 7, 2006 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Strange Days Extension Cord

Jhjyjyhjy

Like in "Alien," this extension cord appears to have suddenly developed growths that burst open, in the case of this device producing working electrical outlets.

Construction–grade extension cord gives you 3 outlets spaced along its length!

Unlike an ordinary extension cord with its outlet only on the end, this cord has three outlets spaced along its 25' length — ideal for holiday decorating.

Plus, its three–outlet grounded adapter (below)

Hghghhkgj_1

lets you run three cords from just one wall outlet.

In–line outlets have covers and can be attached to a wall or staked to the ground. (Stakes not included.)

Water–resistant.

********************

The website copy above is somewhat imprecise re: "three outlets along its length."

My crack research team and I spent over seven hours counting and recounting the number of outlets along the cord's length (top photo): each time we came up with two, plus one at the end just like any extension cord would have.

The company selling it would be more accurate and descriptive if it said, "Extension cord has two extra outlets along its length."

But three sounds better than two and I guess they figured nobody would actually take the time to count the number of outlets.

Certainly not hundreds of times.

Guess they don't know us very well, what?

********************

STOP PRESS

Just in from joehead Jim Biancolo, a correction to the headline — and content — of yesterday's post about the dim future of blondness.

It comes from the World Health Association (WHO) website and is dated October 1, 2002, so it would appear not only did I swallow the tall tale hook, line and sinker, but the London Times and New York Times bit equally hard.

The only difference between them and me is that I have better, smarter readers and can correct my mistakes instanter.

Here's the WHO statement:

Clarification of erroneous news reports indicating WHO genetic research on hair colour

1 October 2002 -- In response to recent media reports citing an alleged World Health Organization (WHO) study predicting the extinction of the naturally blonde hair gene, WHO wishes to clarify that it has never conducted research on this subject. Nor, to the best of its knowledge, has WHO issued a report predicting that ‘natural blondes are likely to be extinct by 2202’. WHO has no knowledge of how these news reports originated but would like to stress that we have no opinion on the future existence of blondes.

For more information contact:

WHO Media centre
    Telephone: +41 22 791 2222
    E-mail: mediainquiries@who.int

March 7, 2006 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Napoleon Dynamite* Instant Table Stabilizer

From the bookofjoe skunk works comes this stroke of perspiration... wait a minute — that can't be right, can it?

No matter — we're thinking at warp speed here and don't have time for white noise.

Ever find yourself annoyed by a table in a coffee shop or restaurant that wobbles because one leg is too short?

Yes, I know — you could just as well say that's the result of the other three legs being too long but if that's your position, I suggest you look deep into your soul and ask yourself, "How's my chi today?"

Well?

How is it?

Thought so.

No matter, we're emitting on a supersecret frequency known only to Kenneth and we don't have time for fuzzy reception.

Or logic.

But I digress.

Now, you're probably wondering where this is going.

Me too.

So, there you are, at Babbo or Caribou Coffee or wherever and you notice your table's rockin' — and no one's knockin'.

Sorry — a flashback from a bumper sticker I once saw on a Volkswagen van, back in the day.

Well, guess what?

Balance is at hand — maybe not literally, since you'll probably have to get up — but in the house, how's that?

Go over to the area with the sweeteners and half–and–half and all and grab a couple packets of sugar.

Put one under the short leg of your table.

Better, eh?

Keep adding packets until stability happens.

Hey, what a great bumper sticker:

Stability Happens

Om.

But I digress yet again.

Isn't that a great solution?

Okui

*Sweet

********************

STOP PRESS

Just in from Japan, a somewhat more technical solution

Flat

to the problem of table stabilization.

March 7, 2006 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack