« Ryobi AirGrip Laser Level | Home | Leakproof Fold–A–Cup »

April 6, 2006

BehindTheMedspeak: Good Vibrations — Episode 3

Prayer

The something–for–nothing fitness movement appears to be gaining traction much as the treadmill office is failing to go viral.

Oh, well.

From Soloflex comes the Whole Body Vibration (WBV) platform.

An ad (above) in last Friday's USA Today brought this new technology for the masses to my attention.

I read the headline and thought gee, that's strange — wasn't the whole money thing part of the reason Jesus was so unhappy back in the day at the Temple?

But I digress.

Here's the rest of the ad copy.

God only knows how Whole Body Vibration (WBV) therapy improves circulation, strength, flexibility and balance while easing joint and muscle pains.

Scientists can’t explain it.

They have, however, meticulously documented the effects of WBV in controlled studies.

Soloflex is pleased to manufacture the first affordable WBV Platform for home use.

At only $395 delivered (institutional WBV platforms cost $2,500 to $12,000) our platform makes daily use convenient.

If you're not training with weights regularly, here's the next best thing.

It only takes ten minutes a day and all you have to do is stand on it.

Will miracles never cease?

Log on to www.soloflex.com to learn more. Or call 800-547-8802 anytime for a brochure.

********************

Let's recap, shall we?

The Power Plate (below),

Lastin

mother of all vibration technology fitness machines, debuted last year, for $4,840.

Then came Vibra–Fit (below)

Vvvafbgthny

this past Sunday, dropping the price nearly 90% to $499.

Now the WBV Platform brings you vibes in the form of much smaller 3–D footprint (yes, I know a footprint is by definition 2–D but you're just gonna have to deal) for $395 delivered.

So who ya gonna call?

Beachbus5676

Me, I'm wondering if a double shot at Starbucks might give you the same result in a far more ubiquitous and portable package — not to mention cheaper.

But don't be too quick to bolt to your nearest java stand.

Because not only will the WBV Platform shape you up, it also promises to get your dog, cat, rat or any other pet you can get to stay on it with you into tip–top shape while you all watch TV in your robe and slippers.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Dogs

Arf.

April 6, 2006 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference BehindTheMedspeak: Good Vibrations — Episode 3:

Comments

I bought one of these because I have polymyositis (a muscle disease) and a lung disease along with ostepenia. I stand on it everyday -- when I have good days. Not sure if it's helping my muscles get back to "normal" but I'm willing to try it anyway.

Barely moving in Anchorage, AK

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Posted by: Robinv Viens | Jan 30, 2007 5:50:40 PM

These things are developed mimicing the technology of machinery used by astronauts who were at risk of developing osteoporosis from extended stays in no-grav without load bearing exercise. It came from good science. So, despite the "cutesy" advertising Soloflex is putting out, it just might be something worth investing it. I'm saving up my pennies.

Posted by: Mary Thompson | Dec 3, 2006 7:05:30 PM

I have the Soloflex WBV attached to the Soloflex and another one to the Rockit.

Compared to other vibration units, this is an economical way to get the benefits of vibration while using it with strength training. I have no way of comparing the benefits received from using the WBV over the last 6 months.

I have found it relaxing to have the vibration on while reading a book on the Rockit. I do use it for various stretching exercises also and find it soothing. Even without substantial evidence of health benefits, the novelty of using the WBV keeps me interested enough to do various exercises on both machines.

I would recommend getting the WBV attachment without buying the unit with the bench. This lowers the price and it complements the equipment that existing Soloflex users already have.

Posted by: Rocky Romero | Oct 19, 2006 1:18:48 PM

I got a Soloflex WBV about 6 weeks ago, and so far it seems to work fine. But I always use it at the lowest setting, and anyone who uses a vibrating platform should be aware of the possible health risks.
See http://www.bme.sunysb.edu/bme/people/faculty/docs/crubin/safety-1-11-06.pdf

Also, I have an ELF monitor, and when the Soloflex WBV is turned on, the ELF monitor goes off the scale (above 24 milligauss) in the center of the platform, just above the motor. So I stand away from the center of platform when I use it. That electromagnetic radiation probably isn't going to harm my ankles any. But it might NOT be a good idea to sit or lie on the platform (which their brochure shows people doing).

Posted by: PikaB | Jun 18, 2006 2:39:35 PM

listen, i own a vibrator that doesn't come close to the cost of these things and it sure keeps my, mind, body and emotions in balance.

ooops, shades of boj 1.o again - sorry!

Posted by: jane | Apr 6, 2006 12:58:26 PM

I'm sure I don't have a clue as to how this "technology" works, and it would seem that you have to be standing on it for it to do so, but if vibrations are so great, can't you just rent a floor waxer, or push a lawn mower, or operate a pneumatic drill, or go out to the airport and stand under some jets taking off or something?

Posted by: Flutist | Apr 6, 2006 12:28:38 PM