« The long, strange trip of Jim Buckmaster — President and CEO of Craigslist | Home | Do–It–Yourself 10–Minute Office Darts Game »

April 2, 2006

Vibra–Fit: Power Plate Vibration Technology — At 1/10th the price

Abgthny

Last year there was quite of lot of interest in the post here about the Power Plate and its "Advanced Vibration Technology."

Most of those who wanted to know more were curious about whether or not it really worked.

Do I know?

What, you think I'm a doctor or something?

Sheesh.

Anyway, the Power Plate's price — $4,840 — was somewhat off–putting as well.

Well, some folks out back in the skunk works somewhere appear to have reverse–engineered the Power Plate and then shrunk its price by nearly 90%.

From the Vibra–Fit website:

Get Those Good, Good, Good, Good Vibrations Used By Professional Athletes to Stimulate, Stretch, Strengthen and Massage Muscles — Add Variety To Your Workouts; Add Muscle to Your Frame!

I work out every day (because the alternatives are not good!) and I’ve learned that variety is the key to battling boredom.

A broad menu of fitness activities also works different parts of the body, avoids repetitive stress injuries and produces better overall conditioning.

Lately, I’ve learned about a new scientific approach used heavily by pro sports teams, trainers, and physical therapists that makes workouts more fun, and more effective.

Here’s how.

Good Vibrations — Researchers have discovered that rapid, whole-body vibration builds bone density and muscle mass; loosens and massages sore muscles; improves circulation; and can even decrease chronic joint pain! That’s why we’ve added Vibra–Fit to our home gym. Vibra–Fit consists of a vibrating platform that you can stand, sit, or lean on, handles to grasp while standing, and a control panel that lets you select intensity and duration. Professional athletes usually lift weights or hold various stretch positions while on the vibrating platform. But depending on your fitness level, you may simply stand or do stretching exercises on Vibra–Fit to achieve worthwhile benefit in just 15-20 minutes a day!

Sensations — Vibra–Fit oscillates at 40-60 hertz and these vibrations are felt throughout your body’s hard and soft tissues (i.e. bone, muscle, tendons, and ligaments). Even with shoes on you'll still feel the vibrations right up to your shoulders. Your body's involuntary response to this stimulation is rapid muscle contraction and relaxation. But even as your muscles flex, all you feel is a distinctly pleasurable sensation.

Bhlhgkhgh

Excitation! — This is the same technology used by the Chicago White Sox throughout their World Series winning season to add strength and avoid injury throughout a grueling season. And it's the same therapy used by cosmonauts to rebuild bone and muscle mass following space flight. Used in your home with dumbbells, you can dramatically improve the effectiveness of each exercise.

You'll gain strength and flexibility far faster than during any conventional workout as Vibra–Fit accelerates and magnifies the muscular contraction and relaxation reflexes that occur during weight training.

Used without weights, Vibra–Fit can contribute to your overall conditioning level, while at the same time building bone mass, increasing circulation and stimulating injured tissue to more rapid recovery.

Includes workout guide.

Weight: 33 lbs.

********************

Does it work?

Who knows?

But at least you can find out on the [relatively] cheap now.

$499 (nice bright yellow towel in the picture up top not included).

Cgkhhklhgjgjhkg

I wonder what it would be like if I substituted a Vibra–Fit for my treadmill as a working platform?

w00t!

April 2, 2006 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Vibra–Fit: Power Plate Vibration Technology — At 1/10th the price:

Comments

As with everything in exercise there is an inherent risk attached . In using "lineal" Vibration Training platforms the precise static poses stop joint damage. But with an uncontrolled vibrational unit like the Power Plate ( they call it 3D ) the risk level goes up. They also promote movement on the machines which is an added risk.

Note: Medical units are pure Lineal for this reason.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Nov 13, 2008 8:45:57 PM

Hi,
Can daily using shake off flab machine (power plate) bad for bone joints?

Posted by: helengee | Oct 19, 2008 11:56:24 PM

Be wary , the new Europlate being sold in the U.S. is made in Taiwan. And sold by the same company supplying cheap machines from China before.

But this from their new "Euro"plate website....

Our vibrating machine is NOT made in China. BEWARE of Chinese vibration exercise machines, they will fall apart.

I wonder if they contacted and refunded all those who purchased machines off them before.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Jun 3, 2008 11:41:13 PM

Just bought the machine two days ago&want to know what do you to actually loose the flab?is just standing on it enough?

Posted by: Re | May 21, 2008 6:26:55 AM

Sock puppets run amuck...

Posted by: Rocketboy | May 11, 2008 2:18:07 PM

A "crazt fit" is a Pivotal unit , not a lineal , so its does not vibrate as such , it tilts you from side to side quickly.

That brand comes with bad instructions and the machine is random. In my opinion it is unsafe.

Give it back.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | May 10, 2008 5:25:53 PM

Hi there

Just got a crazy fit massage machine (vibrates) off a friend and was wondering how i go about getting a copy of what excerises you can do on this machine.
I need to lose about 50-60kilos. Can anyone help. I love this machine just used it twice for 10mins and the speed can go up to 50 is this a good machine?

Posted by: Annemarie | May 10, 2008 7:59:04 AM

It would be a massive step down from the unit you are used to. Even the larger Power Plate models are at the cheaper end of the scale ( quality wise ) so going to their home model is not a good idea , and your results would be very limited.

Think about this , they are asking $2000 USD for the MY3. The big Commercial Studios ( which you probably dont have yet but soon will ) that have the high quality steel units charge $10 for a fully supervised workout.

So you are going to get 200 workouts , with a trainer , on a machine you could never afford , that will give consistant results for the same price.

My advice , just keep going to the salon.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | May 3, 2008 8:01:12 PM

I'm thinking of purchasing the Power Plate My3, has anyone had any experience of using this model at home? I've been using a Power Plate at my local salon and think it's great but can't afford to purchase that one. Thanks Angela

Posted by: Angela Carslake | May 1, 2008 6:58:15 AM

Are there any recommended maximum time exposures per day for anyone using WBV on a Vibro Gym model in the UK?

Posted by: sam | Apr 17, 2008 9:01:58 AM

Go to..... www.vibrationtraining.net read all the essays under "topics" . You can ask questions from others in the industry there and consumers.

If you go to my website at vibra-train.com you can read my story on the forum and contact me via e-mail.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Apr 4, 2008 9:58:45 PM

Lloyd,
I am very keen to hear more from you and your experiences at Poweplate. I am a personal trainer and have been testing the machine out for myself for a while and have seen some great results and have heard some fanatstic testimonials from clients. I have attended a PP course and somewhat understand the technology and it's place in someones fitness routine. Yet, I still can't bring myself to trust it completely and recommend it to clients. I have recently been offered an exciting job to open a personal training and therapy studio that also runs PP classes alongside. I have read mixed things (as you do) on the internet and can't get my head around it. Any info would be fantastic as I only have a few weeks to make my decision.

Regards,

seleste

Posted by: sarah tucker | Apr 4, 2008 2:29:13 PM

Yes it is normal . It is just hyper-stimulation of blood moving through the skin. It will go away after a few months as your vascular system adjust.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Mar 25, 2008 3:16:13 AM

i have just started using the powerplate and when i use it i get severe itching all over my body is this normal? please help!!

Posted by: hayley | Mar 24, 2008 8:57:57 PM

Janey....

43Hz is the best overall Fq to work with. Good results with no resonace Fq matching ( why your eyes hurt at 30Hz )

Derek...

I was PowerPlates Product Manager , I left because of unethical practices/poor quality. So maybe claiming " original and best " is a bit of a stretch.

They moved to China to make cheap copies , thats a fact and no amount of marketing will change that. Its actually a shame.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Mar 3, 2008 6:06:02 AM

My local gym have finally got a powerplate. It's not my brand of choice but I am not buying it. Anyway my question is what frequency to set it at, and at high or low. There seems to be too many choices. The staff at the gym said set it at 30 but I thought for strength training and safety higher frequency was better.
Also I seem to get sore eyes from it, am hoping that this is just some muscle I didn't know I had aching and not damage. The soreness does go away the next day.

Posted by: janey | Feb 28, 2008 6:12:06 PM

is it ok to do10mins in the morning and 10 mins at night every day

Posted by: Pasquale | Feb 10, 2008 3:41:18 AM

Invest in a good model. Power Plate is the original and the best. It DOES improve bone density, muscle strength, flexibility, the list goes on and on. Yes, you can get the same results lifting heavy weights in the gym while also putting lots of stress on your joints. Power Plate has no joint stress and is a FAST workout. It is a small price to pay for your health. I had beginning stages of osteoporosis and I worked out at a gym. After working out on the Power Plate my bone density is normal!! All women should use it and have stonger bones. My life is better because of the Power Plate.

Posted by: Tina | Feb 6, 2008 9:15:35 PM

Hi,
I live in the UK and am looking to purchase a Power Plate/ vibration plate. I see so many being advertised for a fraction of the original PP price. I have read several artices saying these are fakes etc. Is there any machines out there recommended for home use other than the original PP? It's the cost of the PP £3000 or $5000 that is real off putting.

any advise would be appreciated

Posted by: Derek Mendonca | Dec 29, 2007 3:15:02 PM

So, basically machines such as 'Power Tonic' are too cheap so are completely useless. I was going to buy one, but looks like I'll have to join a gym now instead to use a good model.

Posted by: Bernie | Sep 30, 2007 6:19:38 PM

Powerplate research.....is that what they call it? To my mind the 'research' doesn't prove much and is largely flawed or has ridiculously small sample sizes or even worse, uses 'studies' that haven't been publsihed in peer reviewed journals.

If you want to lose weight - eat less, take more aerobic exercise and do any form of resistance exercise - THESE METHODS HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO WORK. Vibrating your body won't give you an advantage. Anyone who tells you you'll do better on a PowerPlate is selling you a bum steer!!

Tim S (MSc)

Posted by: Tim S | Sep 28, 2007 6:44:37 AM

Whew!! Think I might have got a bit over excited about the whole thing. Used my machine for 3 sessions of 10 minutes yesterday and honestly my brain hasn't stopped shaking yet! Trust me...all or nothing. Remember folks..everything in moderation. Good luck to anyone out there who's trying to shift those inches.

Posted by: Alexis Walsmley | Jul 29, 2007 3:14:25 AM

hi , i am using power plate scince may , i was using it gradually at first , just 20 minutes three days a week ,but now ,i am using it 4days for 30 minutes , i use the 40 hertz, for 45sec. i have to say that it feels not ok ,even its been two months now i shouldnt really over do it .
but it gives me more energy for my body and makes me feels great ,.when i dont do it over the week end i feel angry and my mood changes..
i have to be carefull and allow time for my muscles to heal.i recommend the power plate , but in moderate use , and u must drink too much water,,,, and rest for 1 minutes between each position u do.

Posted by: sara | Jul 20, 2007 7:12:35 PM

I suspect you are not talking to me as I do not sell machines , I am the Product Designer for Vibra-Train. But I do not believe a Power-Plate could be purchased for $499. If that is the price it would be copy of a Power-Plate , which is funny as the PowerPlate is just a copy of the real thing itself.

At $499 you would be buying a replica of a fake.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Jul 8, 2007 9:08:22 PM

Hi
I want to purchase your $499 Power Plate. Your web site doesn't have an area where you can purchase it. Also, what are payment options? Thank you so much. I am so excited about the Power Plate. I have a variety of equipment for workout. But this seems like the optimal in equipment. I will anxously be waiting to hear from you.
Enjoy
Nancy Hibma Kreklow

Posted by: nancy hibma kreklow | Jul 7, 2007 9:01:23 PM

Safety guidelines and reasons for time restrictions discussed here. Lots of articles on why and how.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Jul 1, 2007 7:05:16 PM

I went ahead and bought a Juvent 1000, by far the mildest in terms of G forces. One ride on the high G machine was both impressive and worrisome. The body doesn't seem like it was designed to be shaken so forcefully. However, after the high G force machine I did feel stronger, younger and better coordinated. I also felt like it came close to excessive force on my soft tissues. The Juvent is possibly enoght to get the job done. There is a definte buzz that moves through the body. Also, the Juvent first sends three test pulses at different frequencies to esatblish the resonant frequency of the user, so the G energy is tuned to each users vibrational sweet spot. There is a downside, I think this is true of all magnetic field based vibrators, functioning like a subwoofer speaker that sends the energy directly into the body, and that is they generate strong magnetic fields. I have found, in my own experience, that strong pulsed magnetism can have a stimulating effect, caused by the release of adrenaline. So the Juvent advises no more than the self timed 20 minute limit per day. If you exceed that by, say, ten minutes you can be overstimulated and edgy. OTOH, using the machine with a weight bar doing bicep reps has a pretty substantial effect of the rate of muscle development. So there is something real to this technology, what is healthy and what isn't may be an issue that hasn't been sorted out yet.

Posted by: leroy | Jul 1, 2007 11:34:50 AM

You may also want to be aware that some companies with underperforming units are directly target marketing to groups with disabilities. Using tests on good quality units to sell theirs.

In my opinion it doesn't get any lower than this.

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Jun 29, 2007 1:27:47 AM

A few points I would like to make.....

The main problem with cheap units is the Fq changes with a heavier load , and this is dangerous as uncontrolled lower Fq are not good for you. Power-Plate Next Generation was tested and failed unloaded ( no weight on at all ). If it was a car it would not have gotten its Warrant of Fitness. Anything cheaper than that unit and things will only be worse. Note: The older steel Power-Plate ( 1999-2004 , now Vibro-Gym ) did pass its tests.

Any personal trainers using a unit are responsable for making sure the machine is holding its theoretical line ( does not drop in speed ). Charging for the use of a machine not working to its specs is highly unethical.

The top manufacturors and research/development sides of the industry have formed their own regulating body ( VTA ) so this never happens again.

Vibration Therapy ( Lighter Units ) and Vibration Training ( Heavier Units ) are two totally different fields that should not be mixed.

Pivotal and Lineal are also two different types of training and should not be directly compared.

Note: Full commercial unit do not need replacing , ever.

Lloyd Shaw Vibra-Train ( Power-Plate Product Manager 2003-2004 )

Posted by: Lloyd Shaw | Jun 29, 2007 1:04:01 AM

has Any one bought the crazyfit vibtating fitness machine, or the eurosolar vibe 70 vibrotrainer? These are currently selling quite cheaply and I'm tempted, but don't want to buy a load of rubbish!! Buying it really for toning and geting rid of flab!

Posted by: Beccy | Jun 15, 2007 12:17:11 PM

The Power Plate, Turbosonic, Galileo, Hypergravity, iTonic are wbv machines. The problem is not everyone can use them, prices aside. The rocking and shaking are not something every body can or wants to endure. Somtimes 30 seconds is too much. Machines like the Vibra Fit, the Power Vibe and now named MovinHealth machine give folks with more fragil or acute bodies, a place to get the benefits of wbv without immediate risk of injury.
The bodies and minds that want more exercise stress, more burn, more recovery time.. that is a choice. The athletic truth of more pain, more gain moves into another frame when the pain is unbearable or does not go away. This is when mind-body shifts from exercise mode to healing mode. The Vibra Fit, the Power Vibe and the now named MovinHealth machine are ready, available, and at your service. These machines give choices to the people in pain, people who are old, frail, weak with debilitating symptoms; people who have sat on the couch too long and want to get going again; people who are suspect of a get it all in 30 seconds hype and those who realize they don't want to toss their body to the wind of .8+gs of gravity. Roller Coaster rides are an occasional fling. Most of us wouldn't ride one everyday to improve our balance or build stronger bones. Anyone who learns about the benefits of whole body vibration technology wants them. As I understand the physics of wbv technology, a .2 -.3g increase in gravity occurs without any "dial up" amperiage. Rapid cellular movement, time, speed and the users bodyweight = the whole body vibration movement experience of more than the "normal" 1g our muscles and bones naturally live under. Serious shoppers need to look at the latest research. Google Dr Clinton Rubin or find a wbv site that is willing to carry his 2006 and 2007 findings(www.movinhealth.com) He is the reason, I suspect, that Power Plate comes out with a machine that has vertical vibrations, a flat plate and NO dial up amperige. Gosh, that describes the Vibra Fit and the Power Vibe and the now named Movinhealth machine. They deliver vertical vibrations from a flat plate and no dial up amperiage. I've been using my Vibra Fit almost everyday for 11 months. The machine is doing great. I feel fantastic. I paid $400 and I can roll it into a closet when company comes over. And if I ever need an extra wheel, there is a great American company that manufacturers it.

Posted by: gloria | Apr 14, 2007 7:44:11 PM

The best things in life are not cheap! I am not the owner of our wellness center, but I have witnessed and experienced the results of the Power Plate which is one of the expensive models. Trust me, you don't want a cheap version of this technology. $4000 does sound expensive but if it is the same technology it is worth it... Just like buying a good car you get what you pay for... I would imagine the cheper versions such as this vibrafit don't last as long and are limited when it comes to dynamically training, and what is the weight limit? Before buying any model check those specs so you don't break it the first time you try to train!

Posted by: Claire | Apr 5, 2007 9:35:30 AM

Has anyone experienced the arm specific vibratory trainers. These look like gyro activated hand grips that send a pulsation into the upper body. I think they are manufactured by the Galelio people. Vibraflex is the USA name. I can't find any personal reaction to them or information about trainers using them in upper body routines. Boy are they expensive though. This device comes in a one hand model for around $4,600 (!!!!!!!!!!) or a two hand model for $5,900 + $160 s/h (????????)... I mean, there's got to be something to this, but what on earth can justify an asking price like that ? Won't a vigorous workout with an iron bar or some good old free weights pretty much do all that can be done if you have the willpower and exercise consistently ?

Posted by: leroy | Mar 22, 2007 6:18:15 PM

I am the head trainer at Steppin' to Health... We are the first in Tulsa to have the Power Plate available for public use. 4 days a week for 30 minutes on the machine is very excessive... I don't know why your trainer would allow you to do that. It takes at least 5 sessions before you should increase your level, 8 weeks you shouldn't be on it for longer then 10 minutes! I don't even stay on it for 30 minutes, and I have been using it since October! The machine has a technology beyond any other, and you are risking various problems by jumping to such a high level... Contact me and I would be glad to help you design a proper program which yields the amazing results at a safe rate.

Posted by: Claire | Mar 14, 2007 8:35:54 PM

I am in the golf business and have suffered from lower back pain for many years. All efforts to alleviate or eliminate the pain has failed. I have had the best doctors, physical therapists, etc. I am not overweight and workout. At the PGA Show in Orlando Fla. this weekend, I discovered and tried the VIbra Flex (American Name for Galileo) for one minute. I was pain free the moment I stepped off the machine and have been for two days. I cannot believe the result. The price is very high for this machine. I was quoted $11,400. It seems a ridiculous price but again, I am pain free. I don't know if and when my chronic pain will return, but I would like any related information anyone is willing to share.

Posted by: jeff | Jan 27, 2007 10:15:46 PM

Robert. I think 30 minutes a day 4 times a week is too much if it is unsupervised. Your body needs time to recover after such a long time on the plate. If you are going to do 30 minutes sessions maybe do every other day with a days rest inbetween. Alternatively just do 10 minutes a day. This way you will not 'over-train'.

Posted by: Lollie | Jan 17, 2007 6:11:42 AM

Hi, I,ve been using the powerplate for 8 weeks and have seen amazing results. I tried for two years to lose a few inches and no amount of cycling or treadmill moved anything. However, in my quest to get even better results faster I have started going 4 times per week for 30 minutes. I have now started feeling very hot and a tingly sensation throughout my body all the time even after not using the machine for fourr days. I have just turned 40 and was wondering if this is an early start to menopause or is the perhaps an effect from too much powerplate?

Posted by: sally | Jan 15, 2007 3:25:37 PM

Has anyone experienced any side effects using the powerplate digestively...i.e.exess wind? Since using the plate I have been experiencing this as a side effect and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 9, 2007 6:51:34 AM

Where can I purchase Vibra-fit power plate vibration technology exercise machine for $499?

Posted by: Sharon Folk | Jan 6, 2007 8:48:51 PM

I've used the Vibra Fit for a month now and have had great results. It has given me more energy, balanced my blood sugar, pulverized my kidney stones ... allowing them to pass without much pain. I feel stronger and have more stamina throughout the day. I only use it for 3 minutes set at level 3 first thing in the morning and the last thing at night.

Posted by: Elizabeth Lemes | Dec 27, 2006 1:37:49 PM

Theres a lot of info on the web about WVB and you should read it. Power plate(PP) is well researched and was derived from the Russian Space programme .Its use enabled the Russians to stay in space for 420 days cf 90 days for the NASA astronauts.PP has been used in Europe especially the east for about 30 years to enhance athletic performance.PP develops about 5G's .Above this force microfractures begin to appear in the bones and this may not be good.The Gallileo device generates up to 25G's.
The Juvent is very low energy and if it works must be using a different mechanism to the reflex muscle spindle contraction that occurs with PP.Search on all of the above names and get the facts.I've used PP for a year with good results. A cheaper machine would be great if it does the same job. Should be simple enough.

Posted by: ron H | Nov 30, 2006 5:42:29 AM

I started using a machine called the Body Action a few months back after I read an article about it in the Daily Mail. It works the same way as the Galileo plate. I had tried using the Powerplate a few times but I didn't like the feeling at all - the Body Action is much more comfortable to stand on and I really feel like I've done a good workout after my 10 minute session. I go twice a week now and really look forward to my sessions. But it's not for everyone, my Gym buddy doesnt like the feeling at all and wont go on any of the vibrating plates - she prefers to stick to her toning tables!

Posted by: Margaret | Nov 22, 2006 7:37:40 AM

I started using the Power Plate 4 weeks ago at a new wellness center in Tulsa called Steppin' To Health.
I have lost almost 7 inches and I am more energetic and feel so good since using the machine.
I believe the comment about the retina was because someone was abusing the machine and left unsupervised.
They provide a personal trainer for free and they made sure each exercise is performed in the proper way.
I love this machine and all it has done to improve my health, my mood and my life!

Posted by: Claire | Nov 18, 2006 1:33:51 PM

Machines must have a frequency setting between 40 and 50 mhz to effectively and safely exercise with them. Lower frequencies, down to about 22 mhz, can be used occasionally, (but they can cause damage if used too regularly), -but-, the frequencies on the cheapos are -twenty times- slower than that, more like riding on a rough road . The frequency is only one aspect of the effectiveness of a unit: The vibrations must be only up and down for the best muscular effect, so Powerplate's 'three planes' of movement, (up/down, left/right, and back/forth) are not the best idea. For the vibrations to be strong enough the motor must be strong, and the mass of the platform must be dense. This adds up to quite a bit of weight, which the less expensive units don't even approach. Actually , even the PowerPlate's platform is mostly plastic, with a heavy base to make it seem massive. All-steel machines are the way to go, the heavier the better. If this were not the case, you could get these effects from a 1lb handheld massager. The 'lighter' units do give an acceptable massage.

Posted by: mark lloyd | Oct 21, 2006 5:03:36 AM

I can totally understand the fear of being ripped off. Ive been on the powerplate which was far too intense and looked a bit plastic for £7,000. Ive been doing some research and I keep hearing about the Galileo system. Has anyone tried it? They state it works differently to other machines and most of the research i've found is based on Galileo. I live in the UK. I'll be interested to hear any views on this machine

Posted by: sarah ball | Oct 15, 2006 5:13:57 PM

Hello Yes there is a lot of talk about the vibrafit. Why is it way cheaper than those big heavy machines? Those machines were downstepped from the medical machines that were around much longer than the ones available now in the consumer market. These machines, power plate etc, are high-use machines and indeed are being marketed to gyms, sport teams, exclusive spas, etc. Of course if you have a room to put one in and can afford it, they will sell you one. The Vibra Fit is a HOME model, whole body vibration (WBV) low-use machine. Home models have been available in the rest of the world as long as the big ones. There is no competition here. Home models in other countries have been approved by the various agencies that regulate safety and health claims. WBV IS the speed-hertz-cycles per second that causes the rapid contraction and release of your muscles and tendons. This creates the heightened gravitional field pushing down on your body. At 3+ G's you get a great workout. This is more than you could ever lift! As home low-use models become more accepted in the market place, Health Mark, the designer and manufacturer of the Vibra Fit, is willing to submit to the FDA for approval. And it is $399 and ships free in 24 hours. Come see, at www.thevibrafit.com

Posted by: Beverly B. | Aug 2, 2006 12:05:14 PM

Hello. I live in the UK. My wife suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and as well as bone density and circulation problems she cannot exercise. The Power Plate seems like the obvious solution but it is very expensive and we are worried about being ripped off. I am anxious to do something to help her her but don't want to buy snake oil. Are there any real success stories?

Posted by: Gabriel Bennett | Jul 24, 2006 4:05:18 PM

There are so many knock offs of the original vibration technology and many of them do not work. The pricing is the key... if it's less than $3000 consider it junk. There are only two companies I know of that have home units that will do you any good. Power plate and Pneumex. I have worked with both systems for about two years and use them with my weight loss, elite athletes, as well as my disabled clients and they all love it!

Posted by: Kelly | Jun 28, 2006 2:46:05 PM

Also, I'd like to see anyone try to hold that crunch position the model is demonstrating. The hard plastic bumps on the plate make it impossible to use without a pillow. I'm going to try and get a refund. Wish me luck!

Posted by: Katie J. | Jun 26, 2006 12:12:13 PM

I got my Vibra-Fit today. What a waste! I had tried the Power Plate at Ballys and then got excited when I thought this would be comparable. Instead, I got what feels like a Sharper Image massage tool strapped to my feet. Seriously, it's that weak! They were right about one claim: "All you'll feel is a distinctly pleasurable sensation." I'm not holding you responsible, Joe, but I do want to warn everyone else. Before you buy one of these, make sure you talk to someone who knows the product. The Herrington people were nice, but couldn't vouch personally. I admittedly took a risk and learned in this case the old adage holds true, "You get what you pay for".

Posted by: Katie J. | Jun 26, 2006 12:08:33 PM