« Links of London Leather Mobile Phone Charger | Home | 'Yahoo, eBay Join Forces' »

May 26, 2006

Michelle Rodriguez — Like her or loathe her, she's real

Michelle_rodriguez2

The star of "Lost" and Girlfight" yesterday surrendered her freedom in exchange for 60 days in the Los Angeles County jail, the result of a probation violation from an earlier drunk driving arrest.

Just last month she went to jail in Honolulu as a result of yet another conviction on the same charge.

What's fascinating to me about Ms. Rodriguez is that she chooses prison over probation: the judge in Hawaii offered her community service instead of jail and she rejected the service, saying she'd prefer just serving her time and being done with it rather than have months and months of ongoing obligations.

I cannot imagine choosing to surrender my freedom and going to jail if given an alternative.

Strange woman, indeed.

I do not know of any other bold-faced name who chose prison over community service — do you?

Ms. Rodriguez is not getting good legal advice, in my opinion.

Terrible things happen in prison, even to famous people — sometimes especially so.

She now says that once she's released after finishing her current sentence, she's moving to France.

She said, ""You know, people don't bother you there. I do what I got to do. Then I leave the country and never come back."

That's nice: she can drive drunk again, kill someone and not worry about having to go to prison.

Me, I like our system better.

Keep criminals like her off the street if they can't stay sober.

I believe that people who are not psychotic — and therefore not competent — have the right to do whatever harm they choose to themselves but they have absolutely zero right to harm another person in the course of their self-destruction.

May 26, 2006 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Michelle Rodriguez — Like her or loathe her, she's real:

» backgammon strategy from backgammon strategy
backgammon strategy This will be a memorable month -- no matter how hard you try to forget it. [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 19, 2006 11:17:00 AM

» buy nordette from buy nordette
buy nordette buy nordette - buy nordette Q: Why haven't you graduated yet? A: Well, Dad, I could have finished years ago, but I wanted my d... [Read More]

Tracked on Jun 22, 2006 2:26:45 PM

Comments

sounds like someone does not want to get sober, no matter what the cost.

Posted by: lee | Jun 3, 2006 3:02:21 PM

Its amazing how criminals that randomly aim their weapon into a crowd and by the grace of god continue to believe in their innocense.

I'd rather deal with a 'serious criminal' that purposely does his business and gets on with life -- there isn't anything random about it. At least they know what they are doing and generally don't make up excuses as to their behavior.

Speaking of drunk drivers -- I purposely bought a house in a downtown metropolitan area so I could walk home drunk...I think its time for that drink. If you were around Blockhead, I'd walk there with ya.

Posted by: clifyt | May 27, 2006 3:21:35 PM

On my third DUI(in fifteen years)no accident involved,,in Colorado ,,I refused to play their game. I was sentenced to a year in jail, and was still expected to pay all fines, court costs etc.
After I got out,expected to go to 1 year of classes, have a breathalyzer on my ignition for at least one year,along with the required SR22 insurance.
I was lucky to keep my house from being foreclosed on.
I'm on a fixed income, SSI disability, so there's no way I can afford all this, now I drive illegally, with no insurance at least once a month to get food.
Before, I was completely street legal, no criminal record other than the previous duis, and now I am exconvict treated worse than someone who purposefully committed a far more serious crime.

Posted by: blockquote | May 27, 2006 2:27:15 PM

what annoyed me is she played it off on TRL as if she was taking the high road..."paying for what [she] did," rather than "sitting on the beach doing community service in Hawaii." In actuality, 5 days of jail is a lot easier to suck up that a full month of humiliation, plus it gives her street cred. I like her but that thing on TRL was kind of lame. 60 days at LA County Jail are going to suck! Luckily, she's a lesbian.

Posted by: jennie | May 26, 2006 6:42:48 PM