« Mall Cards — Gift Cards Gone Wild | Home | Gmail Signature Request »

May 17, 2006

Therm-A-Snap Hot or Cold Bag

1fhtujhf

Where have I been for the past eight years?

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and as I approached the checkout line I noticed a display of shiny silver bags (above and below).

What's this? I thought.

I looked more closely and saw that they were flexible insulated thermal bags, said to keep hot things hot or cold things frozen for up to three hours.

That sounded pretty good to me.

A lot handier than a bulky cooler.

I bought a large bag for $2.99 to stick in my trunk for those times when I need to keep hot things hot and cold things frozen.

Bonus: they're waterproof and washable and the top snaps shut.

The one I bought is called the Grocery Bag (above) and measures 20" x 20" x 7" when filled; a smaller version is called the Lunch Bag (below)

2_nnvnmbvnb

and measures 15" x 12" x 6" when full.

Both compress flat when empty.

Looks to me like you could use the Lunch Bag ($1.99) as a Duchampian tote if you were feeling particularly Dada that day.

When I had the crack research team look into the devices I learned that they've been around since 1998.

Don't believe me?

You could look it up.

Alas, the team dropped the ball when it came to providing a website where you can buy one of these bags: the only one they found was an eBay auction that expired 80 minutes from the time they discovered it.

If anyone knows of an online source let me know and I'll add the information to this post.

May 17, 2006 at 11:01 AM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Therm-A-Snap Hot or Cold Bag:

Comments

Hi,my name is Amber and I am a Youth Entrepreneur. I just saw your blog and wanted to tell you that I know where you can get insulated bags that are a whole lot better than the ones you got. FROM ME! I am selling Kool Bags - thermal insulated shopping bags. They are super good and hold a whole lot more stuff and last for years! My grandma has had hers for almost 5 years and never goes anyplace without them. You can see the difference between your bags and Kool Bags on my website. It is YouthBusiness.us You will really really like Kool Bags!

Posted by: Amber | Jul 16, 2008 7:35:02 PM

Thanks for the tips on the insulated bags. Just wanted to let you know that I found another company (www.yourbaglady.com) that will actually imprint your logo or company name on these bags. I have a small business and this was a great way to advertise on something my customers would actually use! Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Betsy | Jun 18, 2008 1:57:32 PM

You Can Aquire these Bags at www.americanbagcompany.com, which will forward you to CarryCool.net. The Company was 1st Therm-A-Snap, then it became Carry Cool, Now it is American Bag Company.

Posted by: | Jun 5, 2008 11:55:55 AM

Let's try that again, shall we?

There ya go :)

Posted by: Sandi | May 23, 2008 12:06:11 AM

Found 'em for you! :)
Enjoy -

Posted by: Sandi | May 23, 2008 12:05:28 AM

I'm In San Francisco Need a list of places that sell thease bags in there stores.

What stores in san francisco carries thease bags.

Posted by: John Banks | Jun 15, 2007 7:22:27 PM

Joe - Try the Sam's Club up on Route 10, north of RIO Rd. They should carry the silver variety and a much better dark vinyl version with insulated interior. I carry one in the trunk of both cars for runs to the store. We also use them camping with the Boy Scouts when we overflow the coolers.

I've kept things frozen up to about a day depending on the ambient temp.

Cheers.....

Posted by: Claude | May 17, 2006 9:12:42 PM

Our Sam's Club sells these by the freezer section for about $2 each, but they are branded with Sam's Club information. Here's a much more stylish one for discriminating joeheads for $4: http://www.salvorkiosk.com/p/294. The Web site even gives suggestions for other uses for the bags, once purchased: "great for camping, to signal the search and rescue plane or blind the bear who is coming just a little too close for comfort. Photographers: wrap your assistants in them, they make great human reflectors. Office workers: use it to catch a few rays at your desk.
If that is not enough for you to want to buy a lifetime's supply, they are manufactured by a 70-year-old man who has been in business for 40 years."

Posted by: Shawn Lea | May 17, 2006 2:45:18 PM

harsh. we love you joe

Posted by: jennie | May 17, 2006 2:42:50 PM

These things are perfect for picking up Ice Cream in midwest Indiana in the middle of July. I keep one in my trunk as well for this very purpose. I could care less if the milk goes sour or my chicken picks up some extra bacteria, but I will beat down any man that causes my ice cream to get runny. I don't know how many stop signs and homeless persons I've run through or over in my attempts to get home before it was a simple soppy mess. If thats all I wanted, I'd throw some sugar and sprinkles in my souring milk.

Since picking up the thermasnap, I've had fewer and fewer trips to my anger management specialist, dropped the number of points on my license and have back 10 pounds that I lost through the Getting Off My Ass diet last year.

So I ask you, where were YOU the last 8 years? You owe it to us to make certain we find out about these products before we have to find them out ourselves. If this is the kind of service to be expected around here, I will ask for my BOJ Membership Fees back.

Posted by: clifyt | May 17, 2006 1:36:21 PM

You can click "order" on the thermasnap website you provided. silly.

Posted by: jennie | May 17, 2006 11:47:09 AM