« Dyslexic Clock | Home | Stained Glass Umbrella »

June 11, 2006

Heartonleft_1

Well?

June 11, 2006 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'Love is the mistaken belief that one person is substantially different than another' — George Bernard Shaw:

Comments

I go with Flutist. This is one of those quotes that are so clever, trite and smug but don't hold up to anything of substance.

Posted by: IB | Jun 15, 2006 10:19:17 AM

Believing that George Bernard Shaw knew substantially more about love than anyone else is the mistaken belief that he wasn't full of shit sometimes.

Posted by: Flutist | Jun 12, 2006 1:46:59 PM

Everyone is unique and different in their own quirky little ways. Yet we all NEED nurturing, kindness, softness, patience, acceptance and yes alittle bit of that passion that makes us individuals. If you possess all those qualities and you happen to find another person with the same likeness to them then a spark sometimes ignites. To me love is that feeling your heart cannot possibly go on without that other person. Love is also a feeling of completion. A sense of wellbeing. A nothing can stop you feeling. Love can never be a mistake. It's the timing of that love that can be the culprit.

Posted by: Rhonda | Jun 12, 2006 1:09:26 PM

OK, I've thought about this way too long since yesterday, so I'm writing this in hopes that I can get it out of my head once and for all. (But, hey, in the process I've got a free book idea for an enterprising joehead with more energy than myself at the moment.)

I've gotten in much more trouble believing that people are just like me than that they are not different than anyone else. They are different, of course. Sometimes REALLY different.

But it's like we need a Periodic Table of Elements for people. There's a kind of emotional alchemy that causes a definite reaction when you mix two different personalities together - sometimes solidifying, sometimes mildly pleasing, sometimes explosive. And not just in love, in life in general.

That's where my book idea comes in. You could combine horoscope-type info, personality tests, etc. to come up with a Table of Elements for people - something that puts all the known personality elements into a meaningful pattern, with the melting point, boiling point, properties, uses and handling tips just like with the real periodic table. You'd know which elements are highly reactive and better left to themselves, electron affinities and maybe even which pairings will fizzle out over time.

OK, this is not working. Now I'm writing the book in my head already. Great.

Out, damned thougt. ;)

Posted by: Shawn Lea | Jun 12, 2006 11:03:48 AM

Substantially or accidentally?

I'm just saying.

More in love with my bride of almost 28 years than when first wed.

Lights and darks.

Warts and all.

It ain't easy, but it's been worth the effort.

Love isn't just about wedded or coupled bliss.

Love is.

In my heart and soul, there's enough room to love everyone, always, if I open myself.

If.

Posted by: mattp9 | Jun 11, 2006 10:32:48 PM

Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can never learn anything from history.
~ George Bernard Shaw