« Instant English Garden — On the Cheap | Home | Curvware — ErgoChic »

April 15, 2007

Titanic-DNA — 'A high-end watch integrating real steel from the Titanic'

2222ffj_3

Not a joke but, rather, an awful idea.

I happened on this new watch courtesy of a large ad in this weekend's Financial Times.

Created by Romain Jerome, a Geneva, Switzerland-based company, it comes in a number of different styles, each more depressing than the last.

The diamond-encrusted number takes the cake.

55555ghhg_2

Whose brainstorm was this?

April 15, 2007 at 02:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Titanic-DNA — 'A high-end watch integrating real steel from the Titanic':

Comments

you have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! history.I know more about the titanic than you can amagine.you should watch national geographic

Posted by: hailey | Apr 18, 2009 4:53:09 PM

I watched Titanic the movie, and seeing this image ... I just think to myself, WOW, people actully were on this and ... it ... just sunk! Its very sad to think about what really happend that night. The movie is great but I wanted to sit down and CRY after I watched the whole thing. I did cry about some parts in it. But seeing this photo just makes me sit there and think. Well thank you for taking time and reading this comment I have.

Posted by: Breanna | Mar 22, 2008 10:49:56 PM

Waterproof to a depth of...?

Posted by: Ron | Apr 17, 2007 5:21:24 PM

I can fix you up a watch, of sorts, made out of recovered toilet bowl porcelain (submerged 20 years or so) dredged up from a lovely lake next to a picturesque trailer park about 20 miles south of me. It'll be a WHOLE lot more exclusive than these things. You probably couldn't afford it, though.

Colors: Light brown or dark brown

Posted by: Flautist | Apr 16, 2007 12:42:13 AM

Never understood why we need to 'honor the dead' nor what the Titanic folks did for us other than go down with the ship to deserve any honor. 100 years from now, I could care less if they recycle me and make toilet paper out of me. Never quite understood the social mores about this stuff.

Several years back, a physician friend of mine brought back a skull from an overseas trup that ended up on a bookshelf of mine for a long time, acting as a book end. It was pretty functional. I can only hope that I remain useful even after I'm gone. The truly weird part is that it is usually church going peoples that seem to be weirded out over this stuff...I mean, the churchies, and I consider myself one of these logic-ignoring folks, believe that when you are gone, you have either transcended to one of two places depending on your actions and the fleshie bits mean very little. The atheists that believe that we are nothing but these interconnected bits of bone seem to be the ones that are so willing to throw out the robots once they are no longer functional.

So sign me up...I'll take a Titanic watch and feel free to make a clify watch just as soon as I'm gone. And with that, I needs a drink.

Posted by: clifyt | Apr 15, 2007 5:16:05 PM

Amen Joe. Let's take all that sad and tragic energy and wear it around our "high end" complacent wrists. (The DNA part almost implies the lucky might get bits of bone.) A great way to honor the dead. Ewwwwwww.

Posted by: tamra | Apr 15, 2007 4:41:35 PM