« May 30, 2007 | Main | June 1, 2007 »

May 31, 2007

Two can play — China bans Evian

Uhuhuhouh

The empire strikes back, big-time.

Today's papers bring news of China's seizure of five shipping containers (118,000 liters) of Evian water because of unacceptably high bacteria levels.

Take your melamine and make granola bars.

Considering their taste, might be more than a jest there, what?

May 31, 2007 at 04:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Maria Sharapova reads bookofjoe

0j0

What other possible explanation could there be for the hat tip of a dress (above and below) she's sporting currently in the French Open?

It's been six weeks since I featured what's clearly the inspiration for her new outfit, the $6.99 Bug Stopper Top (below).

41053jj_large

Bet even Flautist thought that was hot.

But I digress.

I must add, however, that the pedal pushers don't do a whole lot for the overall look.

The Nike designers must've been burning the midnight oil out back in their skunk works getting Ms. Sharapova's tulle iteration ready for its debut.

Clearly it's working — she dismantled America's Jill Craybas in straight sets (6-2, 6-1) earlier this afternoon to move into the third round.

May 31, 2007 at 03:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Robert B. Zoellick, proud graduate of the John Bolton School of Hairstyling, to head World Bank

Kuliljuio

Just in yesterday, the news that the current vice chairman of Goldman Sachs (above) is moving into Paul Wolfowitz's recently vacated position.

Just goes to show that even if like John Bolton (below)

Bhbkh

and Zoellick (below)

Ffffliolh

your hair's not up to the coif sported by the late, great Warren Zevon's Werewolf of London — "his hair was perfect" — you can go a long way with a mop.

May 31, 2007 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Cell Phone Mini Clapper Board

Zzjghhkhm

You know

you want

one.

4.5cm x 3.8cm.

Walnut.

Img10063048779

¥1,200.

[via Smidigt]

May 31, 2007 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Buzztracker – 'World news, mapped'

Iui8upi88_2

Interesting.

May 31, 2007 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Key Rack

1135181_detailhljl

• Visibility of dangling keys/keychain lets you quickly find the one you want

• 8.3"W x 2.4"H x 1.4"D

• Keys slide in and out

• Stainless steel

[via Smidigt and Home Improvement Ideas]

May 31, 2007 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Times Select now free to bookofjoe readers

Hjooi0oi

I'm delighted to add this new feature to the many benefits already accruing to my worldwide fan base.

What did you say some of those benefits were, joe?

Never mind.

It occurred to me just now that since I have access to Times Select by dint of being a subscriber to the paper version of the Times, and I only use a couple of my 100 articles per month from the archives (dating back to 1851, I'll have you know) I'm entitled to access, why not use the remainder to fulfill requests from my readers?

At least a couple times a month people email me about or comment on articles in the Times archives they can't access.

I'm your pusher from this moment forward — just let me know what you want and I'll find the article, copy it into an email and hit you back with it.

To which end, I might add that commenting about something and asking a question is not going to result in your receiving an answer if you don't give me a working email address to respond to.

Both Shawn Lea (head of my crack research team) and I find that the results of our sometimes in-depth investigations to bring you the information you want oftimes culminate in emails bounced back to us with the Internet equivalent of "Return To Sender: Addressee Unknown."

May 31, 2007 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Portable Light Mat

Giukuk

Portable Light

The remarkable energy efficiency of high brightness solid state lighting (HBLEDs) means that a bright digital light of 80 lumens per watt (bright enough to read, work and illuminate areas at night) can be produced by a single miniature diode and powered by small areas of flexible photo-voltaics (solar panels).

Portable Light expands the value of miniature solid state electronics by putting digital light into a textile medium to create cost effective, completely portable, off-the-grid light engines that can be deployed at a global scale wherever energy efficient electrical power and illumination are needed.

....................