« 'The Art of Board' — by Rich Moorhead | Home | Liquid Crystal Wine Thermometer* »

June 25, 2007

Is Dr. Robert E. Grover the World's Best Endodontist?

Jipipojioj

If there's a better one, I have yet to encounter that individual.

You know you're in the hands of a master when you find yourself falling asleep in the midst of a root canal and you're not sleep-deprived or premedicated.

Happens to me regularly in Dr. Grover's office.

Now, the fact that I'm able to declare myself a regular customer is nothing to crow about, I'll admit.

Chalk it up to many years of faking brushing my teeth back when I was a boy, leading to endless cavities which, over time, became crowned teeth that eventually gave up the circulatory ghost, hence my entrance into the wonderful world of Dr. Grover circa 1999 for the first of a series of three root canals in the years 1999-2000 that left me wondering if I might not be better off having 'em all pulled the way my mother did when she was in her thirties.

But then things quieted down in OralLand until about a month ago, so I chalked it up to an errant venture of my LifeForce into a Root Cavity Field.

Anyway.

Dr. Grover is gentle, fast, and his hands are always busy when you're in his chair.

No pain, very little sensation of pressure, little talking, no music or headphones — just mastery.

I entered the chair at 2:15 p.m. last Monday and exited at 3:25 p.m. and I felt just fine.

Looking forward, in fact, to Part II of the procedure this coming Wednesday, June 27 at 2 p.m.

Yes, I know, this is too Bizarro World even for you.

And no, I don't have Munchausen syndrome, where you fake being sick so you can get medical treatment.

Trust me, when Dr. Grover exposed the pulp of tooth #30 last week, the smell of rot and decay that emerged was enough to make even me — a durian eater-in-waiting — wrinkle my nose in disgust.

As always, the FerrousClad™ bookofjoe guarantee applies should you decide to take my advice ("I'm not using it") and come to Charlottesville for that long-dreaded root canal: If you're not completely satisfied with the result I will cheerfully refund every penny you paid.

Picture_1j

The way it should be.

June 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Is Dr. Robert E. Grover the World's Best Endodontist?:

Comments

He is the best. I was so nervous about going to see him. After 30 seconds I knew I was in the beat hands possible. There is NO other Endodontist. He was so confident and easy to talk to. Thank you Dr. Grover.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 16, 2009 1:28:40 PM

PS~ I shouldn't have said I hate the dentist that was a bit harsh of me. He's a very nice man and doesn't harm me intentionally. I try not to hate anyone? Also I think a dentist is different than what your actually talking about? I know one thing I have had root canals done and they aren't that bad. I just dont' care for the little poking sticks that go in. =P

Posted by: Rhonda | Jun 26, 2007 2:21:19 PM

You must of been gassed....lol My poor dentist, we have a love/hate relationship. He loves me and I HATE him. I do my darndest to just go to him when I necessarily have to! He does a good job though. He puts up with me and my jitters. He never cusses at me. He just jumps up on me and does his thing.....=) He's fast. Quick to shoot me with novacaine? Numb me up. And I do think there is something in that little shot to make me more than giddy? ok...just my thoughts on this...since Joe is accepting my comments again....;) Thanks Joe!

Posted by: Rhonda | Jun 26, 2007 2:07:57 PM

Want to scare the crap out of your endodontist? I did. By accident.

Back as an undergrad I had an inlay that came loose and presently resides in my vermiform appendix. A root canal was called for. My dentist referred me to his favorite endodontist. I took along the accessory that resulted in my receipt of a letter requesting that I never return.

The accessory? A Nikkormat EL with a 24mm f-2 lens. With the permission of the endodontist, I shot pictures of the procedure - why - because I was curious about the procedure at the age of 19.

I have a great set of images of the procedure, a really, really good root canal and a do not return letter.

Good thing that I've never needed a root canal again. I HAVE exfoliated a bit of bone from my R-sublingual area after an intubation.... and that led to my second experience with an endodontist - entirely benign.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Jun 26, 2007 7:51:20 AM

An endodontist can be your best friend. I know, I've had eleven root canals. Yours sounds like a real treasure - grapple him to your soul with hoops of gutta-percha.

Posted by: Flautist | Jun 25, 2007 9:16:56 PM

My dentist recommends Dr. Grover very highly. Probably won't be long before I'll be checking him out for myself, unfortunately.

Posted by: Elizabeth | Jun 25, 2007 1:32:18 PM

It's actually not uncommon for people to fall asleep during root canals. I had a series of 1-2 hour sessions for one very problematic root canal, and mostly just wanted to drift off in my chair. I didn't, because my dentist has a tv in the ceiling with a choice of DVD's to watch, so I was at least entertained.

Not to disparage Dr. Grover, who sounds like a great dentist.

Posted by: Rena | Jun 25, 2007 1:29:21 PM