« 'Turn your TV into a Giant Etch-A-Sketch' | Home | Boosted Tin Can Speaker Set Vol. 1 »

January 18, 2008

'Anything that represents customer hand-holding represents a failure of site design' — Jim Buckmaster, CEO of Craigslist

Cover_us_big

As quoted in a January 13, 2008 New York Times story, that's it in a nutshell.

When someone says "you aren't understanding what it says," that means it wasn't said properly.

Period.

No exceptions.

The TechnoDolt™ is always right.

January 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink


TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
https://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c5dea53ef00e54ff2c5a98834

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'Anything that represents customer hand-holding represents a failure of site design' — Jim Buckmaster, CEO of Craigslist:

Comments

Certainly in the OR you wouldn't claim that if you don't understand what it says it just wasn't said properly?

There are novices and there are experts...and the experts generally need a little more than what is offered. In the two cases profiled in this article...probably not. You know what you are there for on Craigslist. Personally, I can't find a damn thing there and it is infuriating. You pretty much have to log in daily and make it a hobby to get anything useful out of it. The other side, PlentyofFish -- it is a horrible horrible horrible site. 90% of what is there is blatent scams. The other 10% are people no one would ever want to date because they have 14 kids, 700 lbs, bankrupt 4 times claiming all this doesn't matter because it is the personality that counts...but you had better look like Tom Cruise. The funny thing is, I have NO problem on the pay sites...maybe it is because there is self-filtering in place when comes to the novice who will accept anything, and the 'expert' who knows exactly what they want and willing to put the time into it.

Ok, I think I hit enough s**m words in this posting and I'll stop right here...

Posted by: clifyt | Jan 18, 2008 12:49:58 PM

The comments to this entry are closed.