« 'How to Tell If Your Boyfriend's a Psycho' | Home | 'When I left La Scala, I thought it was time for me to be absolutely free, like the birds in the air' »

May 7, 2008

Fghwr6y

Yesterday during "Pardon The Interruption" — the only TV show I try to watch with some regularity — a commercial came on for FinallyFast.com.

It said to go to the website and learn about a revolutionary product that will make your PC run much faster by doing this and that to it.

The product's home page says it's a "Microsoft-Certified Partner" so you know it's all about PCs.

OK, this isn't the first time we've heard about software that purportedly will speed up our computers — but not while the commercial depicts people sitting at their iMacs and iBooks.

Am I missing something here?

Why would you use Apple computers in a commercial flogging a PC-related product?

Stevejobs1

Unless this is a very deep Cupertino game.

May 7, 2008 at 03:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference FinallyFast.com — If it speeds up your PC, then why does the TV commercial show Apple computers?:

Comments

I-am-just-looking-for-speed

Posted by: tammysebastian | Mar 16, 2009 10:10:24 PM

i find that finallyfast.com works great but i don't know where to go to install it onto my computer

Posted by: jesse | Mar 2, 2009 3:55:29 PM

Well, on the plus side, the best thing you can do is never install it. That'll keep your computer faster right there.

Posted by: Rocketboy | Mar 1, 2009 10:30:25 AM

i really think this site works and its really easy to download but i dont really know how to install it onto this computer...so the thing is i am trying to make my computer go faster but i dont know where to go on this site to install it so my pc will go allot faster.

Posted by: jesse | Mar 1, 2009 12:57:55 AM

I use both Macintosh and PC's. The commercial actually shows the older Windows 98 OS and also dialogs and progress bars that are modified. Macs don't get the 'blue screen of death' as the lady trying to send or receive email gets. As a consultant, I feel it is my duty to try software that makes claims such as Ascentive's. I downloaded it and was amazed that it found literally thousands of errors in my Windows registry even though my computer runs normally. Their commercial is a bunch of hype to feed off those people that are gullible enough to buy into it. It is my experience that most people that have a computer that is running slow have their system overloaded with spyware protection and at least two different virus detection applications. I have found an application that I use that I believe is a good utility for repairing registry errors as well as optimizing the Windows registry and it is called CleanMyPC Registry Cleaner. When a company has to go overboard with TV commercials and claims, then they're selling a product that could be compared to snake oil. I did notice one thing after installing Ascentive's demo. Norton Internet Security detected spyware that was installed by their product. I'm not sure it was spyware as much as perhaps a tracking cookie.

Posted by: Dave | Jan 4, 2009 12:22:38 PM

I just want to know if it is safe and should I or should I not use it????

Posted by: Bill | Nov 29, 2008 11:28:32 AM

hey, I see alot of free programs that claim to fix registry's, get rid of junk files, get rid of spyware, etc. I suspect there are the 'right' ones and the 'wrong' ones when one 'free' program made it impossible to remove, and behaved more like a virus, holding my computer hostage for a fee. So which ones are SAFE and truly free #not going to give me a headache to remove cause they want my credit card#?

Posted by: lucy | Nov 19, 2008 8:37:08 AM

Kathy... Even w/o using it, I'd say it's carp.

Posted by: Rocket | Nov 11, 2008 12:10:27 PM

Hunny if youre looking for speed be at Ben's Big Bar-B-Q Lounge at around nine thirty, that is the fastest croud I done run with yet

Posted by: Flyttie Sue | Nov 11, 2008 11:52:07 AM

ok, now I am confused! I am not a computer wizard or any of that but some of u say don't try it and some say it works?? Then I think u are saying it only works on a iMac?? Should I try the free part and not pay for anything because my spy ware can do the same thing? I am looking for speed??!!

Posted by: Kathy | Nov 11, 2008 8:00:06 AM

And you like it so much Febnchak Alphonse from France that you decided to post on random blogs on how great it is?

Ya, right.

Posted by: RocketHorowitz | Nov 6, 2008 7:01:22 AM

Finally fast.com is a software which I saw on the TV especially on the MSNBC news. I said to myself, let me go and try it. And now my computer is so fast that I myself I am confuse. I thank those who created the program for us.

Posted by: Febnchak Alphonse | Nov 6, 2008 3:25:09 AM

Bah - its people taking advantage of people that "do not know".
I like the "Think Different" Apple ad above...
"Think Different"...
OS/X = Linux on Intel CPU

Should it be "When in Rome..."

Posted by: Hawkeye Peirce | Oct 30, 2008 7:22:10 AM

Patobi ir rite. I am lvl 12 Comptr Wzard, an now me comptr is fstr dan mi, cince i upladed Finally Fast (tm) 2 me softdriver. My internet speeds are 120.15% faster nao.

Posted by: Rocketboy | Oct 25, 2008 11:29:38 AM

these soft ware called finally fast has helped a lot of people in making there system to perform very fast,some one i know had used it, and his system is now faster than before.

Posted by: patobi | Oct 25, 2008 11:05:58 AM

Posted by: patobi | Oct 25, 2008 11:05:19 AM

While using the wrong types of computers to represent PC problems is hilarious and all registry cleaners are best left in the maker's inventory the last comment satin that AVAST! reports finding as a Trojan AVST! has some strnge behaviors of it's own. I used and still use SpyNoMore and signed up for both AVAST! and SpyNoMore at the same time. AVAST! never found a single problem until I began receiving notices that my subscription was about to run out and btw, it reported I had spyware called SpyNoMore.
Even well respected software like AVAST! resorts to mindless attempts to scare users into renewing their subscription by suddenly discovering a compatible software package is a "trojan." First time I ever got to where it toots its horn with blaring sirens at its new found discovery which it ran together just fine for one year until the subscription was in need of renewal.

Posted by: Larry Waybright | Sep 5, 2008 1:36:02 PM

Just out of curiosity i downloaded it. Avast reports it as containing a trojan.

Posted by: jim | Jul 18, 2008 9:57:17 AM

That commercial was absolutely funny! Like other people said, just goes to show how vulnerable the public can be when you thro out a bunch of technical computer jargon! "You've got a sub registry memory boot sector error that has caused your problem." I bet they make a TON of money off that commercial!

Posted by: Jeff McBride | Jul 14, 2008 11:19:35 PM

LMAO Love this commercial. Not only do you have the macs with bluescreens and stuff but at the end of the commercial. The guy's exact words are, "I booted it up, said something about a URL issue"

:-P What?

In other words, "Let's just throw out a bunch of technical jargon. Somebody's bound to fall for it" lol

Posted by: Alex | Jul 13, 2008 11:04:25 PM

The commercial features a iBook G4 (or perhaps a G3-- it was hard to see) but in either case, PowerPC based macs never had BootCamp (they weren't IA-32 hence they couldn't natively run windows). At that, these macs didn't run VMWare Fusion or Paralells (these Virtualization products worked on IA-32 only if memory serves). The only tool would have been VirtualPC which ran so unbelievably slow on an iBook that it was rendered absolutely useless. And what moron would have ran this tool on a virtual disk anyways? If you are keen enough to run virutalization on a mac you are probably a bit more intelligent than to get so many worms that you require some piece of crap program to fix it (I believe that someone in this position could find Spyware search and destroy).

Anyone dumb enough to buy a subscription to this deserves their computer to die an egregious death and also to loose the 30 bux!

Peace out---
Aleksei

Posted by: Aleksei | Jul 6, 2008 10:54:30 PM

i too saw this on G4 and once it got to the part with the "blue-screen mac" i just bursted out laughing because i know macs cant get blue screens (boot camp didn't cross my mind because i don't like macs :S)

Posted by: | Jun 15, 2008 5:16:22 AM

I saw this on G4 during one of their technology related shows. I've started a quest to find an uploaded version of it so I can whip out the video for the amusement of my friends.

In defense of the commercial, it is feasible that those mac users were running boot camp or some other virtualization software to run windows on their mac. However, I don't think it would be a great idea to let windows out on the internet if you had a perfectly good mac OS to surf with /rightthere/. I always figured people just had it to run those windows only programs that don't have good alternatives on OSX, kinda like how windows hangs out on my desktop for the sole purpose of Hitman 2.

Anyway, neat blog, I flipped through some of the pages while pinpointing this post. Maybe I'll just record the commercial myself. :)

Posted by: Kevin Flowers | May 15, 2008 3:46:24 AM

That commercial went up on my list of memorably bad commercials. I like how they used the tactic of big scary computer jargon in their commercial like "CORRUPTED REGISTRY" or "SPYWARE AND VIRUS ATTACKS!" Though looking back on it I'd be concerned too if my iMac was in such a state that would cause a Windows bluescreen...

Posted by: | May 11, 2008 11:54:21 PM

why are they using macs? cause advertising uses macs, and I bet that macbook is the copywriters..

I love that there is a tiny disclaimer that says works only on PC computers ie Windows.

also this service is recurring per month charge and I've read that its difficult to cancel. a clear red flag, yet I bet a ton of ESPN watching persons fall into its trap.

Posted by: pd | May 11, 2008 11:06:18 PM

They could be trying to filter out smart people. Or they might actually be just that stupid, themselves.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of these sorts of "PC speed-up" packages, none of which do anything that you can't do with various free packages. It's arguable that some of the commercial packages simplify the process enough to make them worthwhile for some users (I mention them peripherally here), but since most people's screwed-up Windows PCs are riddled with spyware that none of the "optimizer" programs can touch, they really are pretty much all just scams.

Posted by: Daniel Rutter | May 7, 2008 8:53:10 PM