« June 23, 2008 | Main | June 25, 2008 »

June 24, 2008

Things that make you go 'um'

Kenn600

First it was a hit song, now it's a book.

Long before both it was a mantra.

But I digress.

Michael Erard's book — "Um: Slips, Stumbles And Verbal Blunders, And What They Mean" — aims to help us understand why it is we make fools of ourselves when we open our mouths.

Long ago I abandoned any belief that understanding why I did something was the first step toward changing my behavior.

Nowadays I'm much more matter-of-fact about it, like the magnet on my fridge that says "Vote for change. Vote for me and I'll give you 25¢."

78hjkjyrt

Those who'd like to try a more sensible approach can drop $16.47 on Erard's book and have at it.

June 24, 2008 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Luminous Table

1vcdgdwtq4

The luminous 3/4"-thick phosphorescent glass top glows in proportion to the ambient lighting in a room — the darker the space, the more intense the glow.

Created by Chicago- and New York-based Sand Box Design.

2vbarteyw

Samuel Keller, one of the firm's partners, told Lucy Warwick-Ching in a June 21, 2008 Financial Times story that because the light changes as objects are placed on the table or removed, the piece acts like a light installation in addition to its table functionality.

3fdgdasf

In red, orange, yellow or blue.

You choose the size.

4bteyu213

$150-$200/square foot.

The table pictured above and below measures 72"L x 36"W x 42"H.

5jetuuidc

info@sndbx.com.

June 24, 2008 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

The best commenters in the business are right here

Picture_1cvb_vbd

Concur.

All possible love to all of you — past, present and future.

[via tinytapir]

June 24, 2008 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

If you don't have it, flaunt it

Innovative01

[via eatnineghost.com]

June 24, 2008 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: Interactive Autopsy

Vhrtyrw

"The following is a step-by-step demonstration of what happens during an autopsy procedure."

[via Jerry Young, who wrote, "I am afraid to even look at this site, but I thought you might like it."]

June 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Silence Rug

Bkgkhjgk

"Designed in Norway and manufactured in Sweden of wool from New Zealand, inspired by the Scandinavian winter."

Dimension: 63" Ø.

Silencemain2

$1,689.

June 24, 2008 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

But can I borrow against it?

Vgtrgwqty

I mean, it's just Monopoly money otherwise, what?

June 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Live Luggage — World's first powered suitcase

M

That's different.

Live Luggage Power-Assisted Suitcase

Anti-gravity handle putting 85% of the weight over the wheels

Unique umbrella storage (umbrella included)

Flat motor technology built into wheels

TSA-approved combination locks

Force sensors and tilt switches

Live Locator™ ID — a unique ID to help locate your suitcase in the event of loss

....................

Yui468

Take the interactive tour.

$1,365.25.